Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Vote

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Select up to 10 players

Poll ended at Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:05 am

Curt Schilling
14%
Barry Bonds
8%
Roger Clemens
11%
Omar Visquel
5%
Scott Rolen
3%
Gary Sheffield
5%
Todd Helton
11%
Manny Ramirez
5%
Jeff Kent
5%
Andruw Jones
11%
Sammy Sosa
8%
Andy Pettite
3%
Bobby Abreau
3%
Torri Hunter
5%
Aramis Ramirez
3%

Total votes: 37

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Vote

Post by Gil Dobie »

Who are your selections for the 2021 baseball hall of fame

Welcome to comment on players not on the CS.Com ballot
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Vote

Post by Gil Dobie »

This is were steroids creates a cloak of super stats, the over-shadow players that had great careers without using performance enhancing drugs. Players like Andruw Jones, Bobby Abreau and Jeff Kent. Abreau and Kent each had 8 years with over 100 RBI. Besides hitting 434 Home Runs, Jones had 10 Gold Gloves,
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I've given up trying to differentiate between steroid/non-steroid. Using that logic, Bonds should be in on JUST his non-steroid years.

I voted

Bonds
Clemens
Rolen
Helton
Ramirez
Kent
Jones
Sosa
Abreau
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I'm still holding to the no clear steroid folks in the Hall. Don't like it? Tough luck, don't be a cheater.

I went with:
Schilling
Vizquel
Helton
Jones

That's in order of preference as well. I think Schilling and Vizquel are sure fire HOF'ers.

Others on the list, sure Bonds and Clemens would be HOF'ers without steroids, but they are the poster children for steroids. Having seen both Rolen and Abreu play, I'm constantly amazed that people think these are HOF'ers. Heck, Abreu in his 18 year career made the All-Star game twice - even people watching him play during his career didn't think much of him. He was a stat padder, that's about it. And he was atrocious in the field. At least Rolen was a pretty good defensive player.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Just was reminded last night that Schiiling is a huge Trumper. I’m surprised Twitter hasn’t banned Schilling yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gehrig38
I din’t know squat about baseball, but I doubt the left votes for him, which would = no HOF.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:38 pm Just was reminded last night that Schiiling is a huge Trumper. I’m surprised Twitter hasn’t banned Schilling yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gehrig38
I din’t know squat about baseball, but I doubt the left votes for him, which would = no HOF.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, he ain't ever getting in. Neither is Aubrey Huff. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Schilling is supposedly leading, and is below the 75% mark. He has one more year to get in, along with Bonds and Clemens. After that, it up to a selection committee.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:39 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Schilling is supposedly leading, and is below the 75% mark. He has one more year to get in, along with Bonds and Clemens. After that, it up to a selection committee.
He's been increasing votes every year, and people have long known his political leanings. I think he still gets in, they just ask him to clear his introductory speech with them before giving it.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm going off the board: Orel Hershiser. It's a crying shame that a pitcher of his caliber isn't in....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:25 am I'm going off the board: Orel Hershiser. It's a crying shame that a pitcher of his caliber isn't in....
No longevity. I think he had something like 2 really awesome years (back to back) and otherwise wasn't terribly remarkable. Give him credit, his 1988 year was fantastic, but you normally don't get to be a HOF'er for just one year's work.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 am I'm still holding to the no clear steroid folks in the Hall. Don't like it? Tough luck, don't be a cheater.

I went with:
Schilling
Vizquel
Helton
Jones

That's in order of preference as well. I think Schilling and Vizquel are sure fire HOF'ers.

Others on the list, sure Bonds and Clemens would be HOF'ers without steroids, but they are the poster children for steroids. Having seen both Rolen and Abreu play, I'm constantly amazed that people think these are HOF'ers. Heck, Abreu in his 18 year career made the All-Star game twice - even people watching him play during his career didn't think much of him. He was a stat padder, that's about it. And he was atrocious in the field. At least Rolen was a pretty good defensive player.
I appreciate your thoughts about steroids users -- and even shared them for a long time.

But is the distinction between Bonds/Clemens and Piazza/Ivan Rodriguez really that meaningful?

Why are the latter two in, and the former two not?

And Clemens and Bonds proved that they were HOF worthy before they ever started juicing at least. IRod proved that he was the second coming of Jim Sundbergh before (and after) the juicing. And being an amazing defensive catcher, alone, wasn't enough to get Sunbergh into the Hall.

To me, it seems silly that some juicers were waltzed right into the Hall, no questions asked (Piazza, IRod), and others got shunned (Clemens, Bonds).

Besides, the writers are just kicking this can down the road, to the Committees, in future years. If the Committees have to address these issues, that will distract them from the other issue caused by the writers' votes of this error -- oversight concerning the "clean" players whose statistics may be Hall of Fame worthy, but who suffered in comparison to steroid users.

In this regard, the writers' logic has been convoluted: "Well, guys like Bernie Williams and Kenny Lofton don't deserve the Hall because they were never better than Sammy Sosa .... And Sosa is out because he cheated."

The result of that thinking is that Williams and Lofton may be out because SOSA cheated!

I think these future Committees should be weighing how the steroid era affected the voting on clean players who put up what would have been historically significant numbers in other eras.

If the Committees are still debating Clemens, Bonds, and steroid use, it will take away the chance for deserving clean players to get a fresh look.