NBA 20-21, COVID and stuff

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: NBA 20-21, COVID and stuff

Post by SuperHornet »

There is apparently some major blowback over these last two coaching moves, given some past allegations against Kidd and Billups of which I wasn't aware. Apparently, both have assault allegations (rape for Billups, spousal abuse for Kidd). These look bad because Portland is owned by a woman who, though she doesn't really like basketball (she inherited the team from her brother), should have known about the allegations against Billups, while Dallas looks REALLY bad as owner Mark Cuban was literally crying three years ago as he described a desire to change the image of the Mavericks, who had some bad-boy things going on at the time. There is also some angst over the idea that teams might be trying to get a cheap pop in "considering" Hammon while having no real intention of hiring a woman ever. Sort of like recent NFL teams in trying to "look" like they were complying with the Rooney Rule. As one fan wrote, "You're no longer getting brownie points just for sayin' you interviewed Becky Hammon. She deserves a head coaching position more than anybody out there." Complicating that view, though, are the perception that Hammon is waiting for Popovich to retire, and the fact that Blazer Damien Lilliard endorsed both Billups and Kidd despite not being aware of their past. Speculation is that Lilliard may demand a trade soon, both to put this faux pas behind him and frustration over the lack of support he got from his teammates as he single-handedly kept them afloat during the playoffs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/feel-unheard-r ... 17612.html

https://www.aol.com/nba-world-frustrate ... 48859.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-trail-bl ... 40996.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Late news I guess. But the Pistons landed the #1 pick in the draft and are expected to take Cade Cunningham. Only the 2nd time they have had the #1 pick that I can remember. The other time they picked Bob Lanier. :thumb: The last time they picked 2nd, they took Darko Milisic. :ohno:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AshevilleApp wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:15 am Late news I guess. But the Pistons landed the #1 pick in the draft and are expected to take Cade Cunningham. Only the 2nd time they have had the #1 pick that I can remember. The other time they picked Bob Lanier. :thumb: The last time they picked 2nd, they took Darko Milisic. :ohno:
Do you still have that Bill Laimbeer poster on your wall, AA?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:56 pm There is apparently some major blowback over these last two coaching moves, given some past allegations against Kidd and Billups of which I wasn't aware. Apparently, both have assault allegations (rape for Billups, spousal abuse for Kidd). These look bad because Portland is owned by a woman who, though she doesn't really like basketball (she inherited the team from her brother), should have known about the allegations against Billups, while Dallas looks REALLY bad as owner Mark Cuban was literally crying three years ago as he described a desire to change the image of the Mavericks, who had some bad-boy things going on at the time. There is also some angst over the idea that teams might be trying to get a cheap pop in "considering" Hammon while having no real intention of hiring a woman ever. Sort of like recent NFL teams in trying to "look" like they were complying with the Rooney Rule. As one fan wrote, "You're no longer getting brownie points just for sayin' you interviewed Becky Hammon. She deserves a head coaching position more than anybody out there." Complicating that view, though, are the perception that Hammon is waiting for Popovich to retire, and the fact that Blazer Damien Lilliard endorsed both Billups and Kidd despite not being aware of their past. Speculation is that Lilliard may demand a trade soon, both to put this faux pas behind him and frustration over the lack of support he got from his teammates as he single-handedly kept them afloat during the playoffs.

Lillard never came out and endorsed either Kidd or Billups. Word is getting around that the extent of Lillard's involvement was Olshey handing him a list of potential candidates at the beginning of the search and asking him who he liked. Now Lillard is getting all the backlash from Blazer fans over Billups and so far, no one in the Blazer management team has spoken up in Lillard's defense, or to deflect any of the backlash from Lillard. I can't really blame Lillard for being upset.

In Billups' first statement, he thanked Jody Allen (owner), Bert Kolde (director) and Olshey (GM). Never did he mention Lillard. If Lillard truly endorsed Billups, I'm sure Billups would have mentioned it.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:20 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:15 am Late news I guess. But the Pistons landed the #1 pick in the draft and are expected to take Cade Cunningham. Only the 2nd time they have had the #1 pick that I can remember. The other time they picked Bob Lanier. :thumb: The last time they picked 2nd, they took Darko Milisic. :ohno:
Do you still have that Bill Laimbeer poster on your wall, AA?
Nah, but that was a fun Pistons team! :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Clips hang in the series. Big night from the other Paul, George and Reggie Jackson.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:52 pm The process did get Bridges to Phoenix.
Nah, Hinkie was long gone by the time that happened. Heck, that draft happened just two weeks after Bryan Colangelo (thanks NBA) was let go following the burner accounts incident. That was an Elton Brand/Brett Brown deal. And in their defense, what happened to Zhaire Smith was crazy - not only did he get a freak injury, he then had a freak allergic reaction to sesame during recovery, needed another surgery, and ended up dropping 50 lbs. Hard to foresee all of that coming down the road. Bridges has been great, no doubt, and the Sixers would've been in a good spot had they not traded him, but it wasn't a terrible trade when it happened, only after what happened medically to Smith.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:38 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:56 pm There is apparently some major blowback over these last two coaching moves, given some past allegations against Kidd and Billups of which I wasn't aware. Apparently, both have assault allegations (rape for Billups, spousal abuse for Kidd). These look bad because Portland is owned by a woman who, though she doesn't really like basketball (she inherited the team from her brother), should have known about the allegations against Billups, while Dallas looks REALLY bad as owner Mark Cuban was literally crying three years ago as he described a desire to change the image of the Mavericks, who had some bad-boy things going on at the time. There is also some angst over the idea that teams might be trying to get a cheap pop in "considering" Hammon while having no real intention of hiring a woman ever. Sort of like recent NFL teams in trying to "look" like they were complying with the Rooney Rule. As one fan wrote, "You're no longer getting brownie points just for sayin' you interviewed Becky Hammon. She deserves a head coaching position more than anybody out there." Complicating that view, though, are the perception that Hammon is waiting for Popovich to retire, and the fact that Blazer Damien Lilliard endorsed both Billups and Kidd despite not being aware of their past. Speculation is that Lilliard may demand a trade soon, both to put this faux pas behind him and frustration over the lack of support he got from his teammates as he single-handedly kept them afloat during the playoffs.

Lillard never came out and endorsed either Kidd or Billups. Word is getting around that the extent of Lillard's involvement was Olshey handing him a list of potential candidates at the beginning of the search and asking him who he liked. Now Lillard is getting all the backlash from Blazer fans over Billups and so far, no one in the Blazer management team has spoken up in Lillard's defense, or to deflect any of the backlash from Lillard. I can't really blame Lillard for being upset.

In Billups' first statement, he thanked Jody Allen (owner), Bert Kolde (director) and Olshey (GM). Never did he mention Lillard. If Lillard truly endorsed Billups, I'm sure Billups would have mentioned it.
Maybe Lillard is thinking how it would be to lineup with Embiid in the middle. He's never going to get that chance in Portland, he'll have to go to a team to be with a player like that.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Last nights game changed in a hurray. Giannis knee injury lead to a Hawks blowout win. If he can't return, Atlanta probably goes to the finals.

Hawks sported their MLK jersey's last night.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Chris Paul in the finals after Suns defeat Clippers.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

The Timberwolves are a team that’s in the mix for Ben Simmons. They’ve wanted an upgrade at the power forward position dating back to the trade deadline last year when they were in the mix for Aaron Gordon. Simmons and D’Angelo Russell played together at Montverde Academy, where they won back-to-back championships. If they ended up playing together, it would be an interesting pairing. 21 hours ago – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:23 am Chris Paul in the finals after Suns defeat Clippers.
Clippers get clipped again.

Two teams in Los Angeles, the Haves (Lakers) and the Have-Nots (Clippers). Nothing ever changes.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:56 am The Timberwolves are a team that’s in the mix for Ben Simmons. They’ve wanted an upgrade at the power forward position dating back to the trade deadline last year when they were in the mix for Aaron Gordon. Simmons and D’Angelo Russell played together at Montverde Academy, where they won back-to-back championships. If they ended up playing together, it would be an interesting pairing. 21 hours ago – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype
How could the T-wolves make a trade for Simmons and not include Russell in the deal? I'm not sure I'd want Russell anyway, but just looking at it in terms of money and contracts, you'd have to include Russell or Towns, or a boatload of other players, to make the money work for the trade to be valid.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Suns win
Suns win
Suns win!!
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

And Patrick Beverly needs to be tossed from the league
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:23 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:56 am The Timberwolves are a team that’s in the mix for Ben Simmons. They’ve wanted an upgrade at the power forward position dating back to the trade deadline last year when they were in the mix for Aaron Gordon. Simmons and D’Angelo Russell played together at Montverde Academy, where they won back-to-back championships. If they ended up playing together, it would be an interesting pairing. 21 hours ago – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype
How could the T-wolves make a trade for Simmons and not include Russell in the deal? I'm not sure I'd want Russell anyway, but just looking at it in terms of money and contracts, you'd have to include Russell or Towns, or a boatload of other players, to make the money work for the trade to be valid.
Include a 3rd team, include Toronto for example, sign and trade Lowry to Philly with a Wolves #1 draft pick and a couple players, Toronto gets a #1 draft pick and a couple players, Wolves get Simmons.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:45 am And Patrick Beverly needs to be tossed from the league
CP3 is such a whining drama Queen actor he could play for the Clippers...

:mrgreen:
Proletarians of the world, unite!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Rob Iola wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:14 am
dbackjon wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:45 am And Patrick Beverly needs to be tossed from the league

That may very well be true, but it doesn't change the fact that punk ass Patrick Beverly should be tossed from the league.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Rob Iola wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:14 am

IC What you did there - he's no Ronaldo
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bucks go up 3-2 on the Hawks.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bucks and Suns in the finals
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:26 pm Bucks and Suns in the finals
Who'da thunk? Over/under on ratings?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I don't know how it would work but there certainly seems to be a lot of smoke around, and not just recently. Simmons has been linked to the Wolves for about 2 years it seems.

I've been hard on Simmons but maybe a new start would be good for him. Get out of Philly, get away from the kind of fans Philly has, etc.

The rumor is the Wolves wouldn't include D-lo, KAT (duh), or Edwards (duh) and if they could pull a trade like that off it would make Simmons the 4th option any given night

The front office in Minnesota has been pretty open to the media that they are going to be aggressive in the trade market to overhaul the team because they don't have a draft pick.

I guess we will see.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I don't know how it would work but there certainly seems to be a lot of smoke around, and not just recently. Simmons has been linked to the Wolves for about 2 years it seems.

I've been hard on Simmons but maybe a new start would be good for him. Get out of Philly, get away from the kind of fans Philly has, etc.

The rumor is the Wolves wouldn't include D-lo, KAT (duh), or Edwards (duh) and if they could pull a trade like that off it would make Simmons the 4th option any given night

The front office in Minnesota has been pretty open to the media that they are going to be aggressive in the trade market to overhaul the team because they don't have a draft pick.

I guess we will see.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Only one player taken in the NBA draft from an FCS school. Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, PF from Villanova.

:o :suspicious: