2020 NBA Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: 2020 NBA Season

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:32 am
JALMOND wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:21 am

As LeBron found out last year, playing in the West is not like the East where you're playing Atlanta, Charlotte, the Knicks, Bulls and Detroit. There are no off nights in the West. Last year was the first time an Eastern Conference team won the title without LeBron since Boston won in 2008, and it took a superstar from the West to defect to Toronto to do it (and the Warriors to get beat up on the road to the championship).
Old news. The only thing Lebron found out last year was that he had to wait a year to get rid of some of the riff raff of a bad Lakers team (gasp, a bad team in the West) before reforming it. He knew that going in so no big surprise. And heck, one year in and he's the top seed. The West used to be infinitely better than the East - still better, but the gap has been tremendously closed. Besides, the West was Golden State and a bunch of other teams the past few years. The top 6 in the East are just as good as the top 7, maybe top 8 in the West. That's not a huge difference.
There's a reason why 13 of the 15 teams in the West were invited to the bubble as compared to 9 in the East. Really, only Milwaukee, Toronto and Boston would have been good enough this year to battle for the top 8 in the West this year. Golden State will be back next year, making the West even more competitive. Once again, sadly, this year there will be a few deserving teams from the West that miss out on the playoffs this year, while there are teams in the East (Brooklyn, Orlando) who don't deserve to make it. 1-8 and 2-7 in the East is the equivalent of 1-16 in March Madness.

Jimmy Butler is a good example of a Eastern Conference star who couldn't hack it out West so he returned to the East.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:32 am
Old news. The only thing Lebron found out last year was that he had to wait a year to get rid of some of the riff raff of a bad Lakers team (gasp, a bad team in the West) before reforming it. He knew that going in so no big surprise. And heck, one year in and he's the top seed. The West used to be infinitely better than the East - still better, but the gap has been tremendously closed. Besides, the West was Golden State and a bunch of other teams the past few years. The top 6 in the East are just as good as the top 7, maybe top 8 in the West. That's not a huge difference.
There's a reason why 13 of the 15 teams in the West were invited to the bubble as compared to 9 in the East. Really, only Milwaukee, Toronto and Boston would have been good enough this year to battle for the top 8 in the West this year. Golden State will be back next year, making the West even more competitive. Once again, sadly, this year there will be a few deserving teams from the West that miss out on the playoffs this year, while there are teams in the East (Brooklyn, Orlando) who don't deserve to make it. 1-8 and 2-7 in the East is the equivalent of 1-16 in March Madness.

Jimmy Butler is a good example of a Eastern Conference star who couldn't hack it out West so he returned to the East.
Jimmy Butler is such a diva that even Snickers couldn't help him.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:20 pm
JALMOND wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Just wait until LeBron realizes that he can't dominate the West like he did in the East and then goes running back to his home in Cleveland (for the third time). :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Just wait until LeBron realizes that he can't dominate the West like he did in the East and then goes running back to his home in Cleveland (for the third time). :lol:
Isn't he heading the team that is the one seed in the West and clinched the one seed with most of the bubble still to play? You have seen the standings, no? :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:12 am
JALMOND wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 pm

Isn't he heading the team that is the one seed in the West and clinched the one seed with most of the bubble still to play? You have seen the standings, no? :rofl:
I have seen the standings, but he hasn't won it yet. In the West as well, he doesn't have the luxury of playing Brooklyn or Orlando in the first round and getting a free ride to the second round. All four teams that the Lakers could possibly face in the first round will be a tough series for them, and then it gets tougher from there. No free rides in the West. Now, get up off the floor and dust yourself off. :D
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:12 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:12 am

I have seen the standings, but he hasn't won it yet. In the West as well, he doesn't have the luxury of playing Brooklyn or Orlando in the first round and getting a free ride to the second round. All four teams that the Lakers could possibly face in the first round will be a tough series for them, and then it gets tougher from there. No free rides in the West. Now, get up off the floor and dust yourself off. :D
What the heck are you talking about? It's like you live in fantasyland and don't actually watch or remember the actual games. In the Western Conference playoffs over the past three years, this is what actually happened:

- 2018-19 postseason in the West: 2 of the 7 series went the full series (winner won 4 games to 3), and 3 of the 7 series went 5 games or fewer (1 sweep)
2017-18 postseason in the West: 1 out of 7 went the full distance, and an astounding 5 out of 7 series went 5 games or less (1 sweep)
2016-17 postseason in the West: again, only 1 out of 7 went the full distance, and 4 out of 7 series went 5 games or less (and of the 7 series, a whopping 3 of the them were 4-0 sweeps).

That means, over 3 years, 12 of the 21 series played in the West (that's 57% of them) weren't competitive and were snooze-fests. Sure, I bet a lot of those sweeps and 4-1 series were really tough and competitive. :kisswink: What's this again about no free rides? :lol: I think that dust they're wiping off is dust from sitting around from all the free time in between short series after short series. :rofl:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:39 am
JALMOND wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:12 am

What the heck are you talking about? It's like you live in fantasyland and don't actually watch or remember the actual games. In the Western Conference playoffs over the past three years, this is what actually happened:

- 2018-19 postseason in the West: 2 of the 7 series went the full series (winner won 4 games to 3), and 3 of the 7 series went 5 games or fewer (1 sweep)
2017-18 postseason in the West: 1 out of 7 went the full distance, and an astounding 5 out of 7 series went 5 games or less (1 sweep)
2016-17 postseason in the West: again, only 1 out of 7 went the full distance, and 4 out of 7 series went 5 games or less (and of the 7 series, a whopping 3 of the them were 4-0 sweeps).

That means, over 3 years, 12 of the 21 series played in the West (that's 57% of them) weren't competitive and were snooze-fests. Sure, I bet a lot of those sweeps and 4-1 series were really tough and competitive. :kisswink: What's this again about no free rides? :lol: I think that dust they're wiping off is dust from sitting around from all the free time in between short series after short series. :rofl:
I know it is tough trying to watch a game that starts at 10pm local time (and gets over around 1am), but you should actually try to watch the games. It is easy to look at past stats and make assumptions solely based on the outcomes without watching the games.

Out here, the Eastern games begin at 4pm so I'm able to watch them at a reasonable time (if I want).

This is LeBron's first trip through the Western Conference playoffs. I'm sure after this, he will want to return to Cleveland where the playoff road is a bit easier.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:39 am

I know it is tough trying to watch a game that starts at 10pm local time (and gets over around 1am), but you should actually try to watch the games. It is easy to look at past stats and make assumptions solely based on the outcomes without watching the games.

Out here, the Eastern games begin at 4pm so I'm able to watch them at a reasonable time (if I want).

This is LeBron's first trip through the Western Conference playoffs. I'm sure after this, he will want to return to Cleveland where the playoff road is a bit easier.
So you're on record then as saying they were really difficult sweeps? :rofl:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:47 am
JALMOND wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:34 am

Let me give you an example. A football game between Delaware and Maryland, the game is a back and forth affair for 3.5 quarters, causing Maryland fans to be nervous. Then late in the game, a few breaks go against the Blue Hens, making the margin of defeat to be a 4 touchdown loss. I did not want to drag myself out of bed for a 9am (out here anyway) kickoff and I see the final score is about what I predicted, yet the game itself was far more competitive than the score would otherwise indicate.

If instead of facing Orlando in the first round, Milwaukee was to face one of teams fighting for the 8th spot in the West (Portland, Phoenix, Memphis or San Antonio) the series could still end up 4-1, but the games would be far more competitive (and more interesting to watch), but if you don't watch the games, you would say "what a snoozefest". :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:22 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:47 am

Let me give you an example. A football game between Delaware and Maryland, the game is a back and forth affair for 3.5 quarters, causing Maryland fans to be nervous. Then late in the game, a few breaks go against the Blue Hens, making the margin of defeat to be a 4 touchdown loss. I did not want to drag myself out of bed for a 9am (out here anyway) kickoff and I see the final score is about what I predicted, yet the game itself was far more competitive than the score would otherwise indicate.

If instead of facing Orlando in the first round, Milwaukee was to face one of teams fighting for the 8th spot in the West (Portland, Phoenix, Memphis or San Antonio) the series could still end up 4-1, but the games would be far more competitive (and more interesting to watch), but if you don't watch the games, you would say "what a snoozefest". :lol:
That's every NBA game. Everybody makes a run in the NBA. The vast majority of games come down to the 4th quarter, the blowouts are rare. Are you sure you're watching these games?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

There are not many things more predictable than NBA playoffs. Chalk, chalk and chalk.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am
JALMOND wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:22 am

That's every NBA game. Everybody makes a run in the NBA. The vast majority of games come down to the 4th quarter, the blowouts are rare. Are you sure you're watching these games?
Glad to see you're finally getting it, although I guess I'm trying to figure out what is a "snoozefest", then. 1-8 plays four games, all of which are competitive and come down to the end with #8 having a chance to win in the closing seconds each game, yet #1 finds a way to pull out a win in each. The stats show a sweep by #1, yet I can't see how it could be called a "snoozefest" if every game came down to the wire (unless people see it was a sweep and being that they never watched the games, assumed it wasn't even close).

You should quit rolling on the floor. You're getting dirty and causing a scene. :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Race for the 8th spot, finals

Memphis 119
Milwaukee 106

Phoenix 128
Dallas 102

Memphis is in the play-in game, San Antonio is out. Phoenix is still alive.

Portland vs Brooklyn...Portland wins, they are the 8th seed and Memphis is 9th. Portland loses and they are out, Memphis is 8th and Phoenix is 9th.

Big Enos Burdette: 10 to 1 I break the sum bitch this time.
Little Enos Burdette: Give me 500 on Dame D.O.L.L.A.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Portland 134, Brooklyn 133

Portland #8 and will face Memphis in the play-in. Blazers need to beat the Grizzlies once while the Grizzlies need to win twice. First game Saturday at 2:30pm Eastern.

Phoenix out.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Kiss of death prediction.

Boston vs LA................Clippers in the finals
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Portland 126, Memphis 122.

Blazers to face the Lakers in the first round, starting on Tuesday,
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Bubble playoff predictions...

Eastern Conference, first round

Milwaukee (1) vs Orlando (8)---Bucks cruise in an easy tuneup. Bucks, 4-0.
Indiana (4) vs. Miami (5)---Pacers get the nod over the Heat. Pacers, 4-2.
Boston (3) vs Philadelphia (6)---Celtics on a mission and Sixers provide little resistance. Celtics, 4-2.
Toronto (2) vs, Brooklyn (7)---Nets should consider one game from the Raptors as consolation. Raptors, 4-1.

Western Conference, first round

Lakers (1) vs Portland (8)---Blazers can throw a scare at the Lakers but LeBron and Co. are too much. Lakers, 4-2.
Houston (4) vs Oklahoma City (5)---Thunder gain some redemption here after last year's mass exodus. Thunder, 4-3.
Denver (3) vs Utah (6)---Jazz are hungry for success but the Nuggets are too much. Nuggets, 4-2
Clippers (2) vs Dallas (7)---Mavs are dangerous and the Clips have a tough time in the playoffs. Mavericks, 4-3.

Eastern Conference semis

Milwaukee (1) vs Indiana (4)---Pacers are game but the Bucks are too much here. Bucks, 4-1.
Toronto (2) vs Boston (3)---Good matchup here but have to take the Raptors down to the wire. Raptors, 4-3.

Western Conference semis

Lakers (1) vs Oklahoma City (5)---Thunder will show up but may be overmatched in this series. Lakers, 4-2.
Denver (3) vs Dallas (7)---Mavs playing well at the right time, but this won't be easy. Mavericks 4-3.

Eastern Conference Finals:

Milwaukee (1) vs. Toronto (2)---Tough call but no Kawhi to push the Raptors over. Bucks, 4-3.

Western Conference Finals:

Lakers (1) vs Dallas (7)---A game Mavericks squad but the Lakers are too much in the end. Lakers, 4-3

NBA Finals:

Lakers (1) vs Milwaukee (1)---Torch is passed to the Greek Freak. Bucks 4-2.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I guess JALMOND really likes the NBA. :nod:

Keeps his mind off the riots. :chair:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:47 pm Bubble playoff predictions...

Boston (3) vs Philadelphia (6)---Celtics on a mission and Sixers provide little resistance. Celtics, 4-2.
Toronto (2) vs, Brooklyn (7)---Nets should consider one game from the Raptors as consolation. Raptors, 4-1.

Lakers (1) vs Portland (8)---Blazers can throw a scare at the Lakers but LeBron and Co. are too much. Lakers, 4-2.
Houston (4) vs Oklahoma City (5)---Thunder gain some redemption here after last year's mass exodus. Thunder, 4-3.
Denver (3) vs Utah (6)---Jazz are hungry for success but the Nuggets are too much. Nuggets, 4-2
Clippers (2) vs Dallas (7)---Mavs are dangerous and the Clips have a tough time in the playoffs. Mavericks, 4-3.

Eastern Conference semis

Milwaukee (1) vs Indiana (4)---Pacers are game but the Bucks are too much here. Bucks, 4-1.
Toronto (2) vs Boston (3)---Good matchup here but have to take the Raptors down to the wire. Raptors, 4-3.

Western Conference semis

Lakers (1) vs Oklahoma City (5)---Thunder will show up but may be overmatched in this series. Lakers, 4-2.
Denver (3) vs Dallas (7)---Mavs playing well at the right time, but this won't be easy. Mavericks 4-3.

Milwaukee (1) vs. Toronto (2)---Tough call but no Kawhi to push the Raptors over. Bucks, 4-3.

Lakers (1) vs Dallas (7)---A game Mavericks squad but the Lakers are too much in the end. Lakers, 4-3

NBA Finals:

In the past 3 years combined there have been 4 series that went to a Game 7. You have, in this single postseason, 6 series going to a Game 7. Methinks you doth protest too much. :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:46 pm
JALMOND wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:47 pm Bubble playoff predictions...

Eastern Conference semis

Western Conference semis

NBA Finals:

In the past 3 years combined there have been 4 series that went to a Game 7. You have, in this single postseason, 6 series going to a Game 7. Methinks you doth protest too much. :lol:
No home court evens things out a bit. :nod: :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 pm
GannonFan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:46 pm

That doesn't make any sense - since a normal series would have 4 games at one home court and 3 games at the other team's court, wouldn't that have evened things out before and we should've had more game 7's? 12 out of 21 series in the Western conference in the past 3 years weren't competitive, despite home court alternating, but now you think they'll be more even without home court for anyone? :roll:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:24 am
JALMOND wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 pm

That doesn't make any sense - since a normal series would have 4 games at one home court and 3 games at the other team's court, wouldn't that have evened things out before and we should've had more game 7's? 12 out of 21 series in the Western conference in the past 3 years weren't competitive, despite home court alternating, but now you think they'll be more even without home court for anyone? :roll:
In past series, the underdog wins one of the first two to "steal" home court and then they only have to "hold on" to home court to win the series. In this setup, the underdog wins one of the first two games, with no changing of home court, the series has really only been changed to a best of five on a neutral court. With everything being equal (or near to equal), I think teams will find it difficult to beat the same team consistently on a neutral court. It could end up being a I-win, you-win, I-win, you-win type of series.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:24 am

In past series, the underdog wins one of the first two to "steal" home court and then they only have to "hold on" to home court to win the series. In this setup, the underdog wins one of the first two games, with no changing of home court, the series has really only been changed to a best of five on a neutral court. With everything being equal (or near to equal), I think teams will find it difficult to beat the same team consistently on a neutral court. It could end up being a I-win, you-win, I-win, you-win type of series.
Huh, but the underdog in NBA playoff series almost never wins. I know 89 can pull out a stat on that. There aren't tons of upsets in the NBA, they just don't happen regularly. I don't think the court will have anything to do with it, good teams tend to win more when they play teams that aren't as good as they are - it's not any more complicated than that.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:49 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am

Huh, but the underdog in NBA playoff series almost never wins. I know 89 can pull out a stat on that. There aren't tons of upsets in the NBA, they just don't happen regularly. I don't think the court will have anything to do with it, good teams tend to win more when they play teams that aren't as good as they are - it's not any more complicated than that.
That is true. That is why I've got the Lakers and Bucks in the Finals. They are both #1 for a reason. But, Toronto won the championship last year as a #2 seed from the East. Portland went to the Western Conference finals last year as a #3 so it does happen.

And I do see the lack of a home court being a factor. In the Lakers/Blazers series, I have the Lakers winning Game 1 and Portland winning Game 2, but with the series not going to Portland, the Blazers won't have the perceived advantage that they would in any other year. Lakers get Game 3 and Portland gets Game 4. Lakers then get Game 5 and by Game 6, the Blazers are pretty tired out, resulting in the easiest Laker win of the series.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers 100, Lakers 93.

Welcome to the Western Conference playoffs, LeBron. You can't coast in here like you did back East. :lol: