2020 NBA Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2020 NBA Season

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:25 pm So.... That process..... It's.... Uh.... Still trusting it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with the Process, just the execution of it over the past 2 years or so. It all started to go bad when Colangelo got the reins. Too busy with his burner phones to properly look into Markelle Fultz, and got fleeced on that deal. Brown not being able to get Embiid and Simmons to grow up has been a problem as well. On the bright side, Colangelo is long gone and Brown will be gone shortly. Big question is what you do with Embiid and Simmons, and how you deal with the contracts you've given Harris and Horford. Harris getting hurt yesterday was the first time he showed up since the Sixers were in the bubble. But the big problems are Embiid and Simmons - eventually they have to grow up or you have to move on from them.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote:
clenz wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:25 pm So.... That process..... It's.... Uh.... Still trusting it?

Nothing wrong with the Process, just the execution of it over the past 2 years or so. It all started to go bad when Colangelo got the reins. Too busy with his burner phones to properly look into Markelle Fultz, and got fleeced on that deal. Brown not being able to get Embiid and Simmons to grow up has been a problem as well. On the bright side, Colangelo is long gone and Brown will be gone shortly. Big question is what you do with Embiid and Simmons, and how you deal with the contracts you've given Harris and Horford. Harris getting hurt yesterday was the first time he showed up since the Sixers were in the bubble. But the big problems are Embiid and Simmons - eventually they have to grow up or you have to move on from them.
Aren't we going into like the 3rd or 4th GM and 3rd or 4th coach since the process started?

Aren't Embiid and Simmons a major part of the process?

Wasn't part of the process taking Fultz at like #3?

Haven't people outside if Philly been questioning Embiid, physically and mentally, since he got to the league years ago?

Dude isnt going to grow up. He's just not. He would rather be a twitter troll than a professional

The process started in 2012 - 8 seasons now. In those 8 seasons they have
3 winning seasons
Finished in the top of of their own division just 1 time
Failed to even make the eastern conference finals
Failed to make even the semi-finals this year

Maybe...just freaking maybe...the process is a scam. It's broken. I doesn't actually work. BUT it's a nice easy phrase that you can get the fans to cling on to. It's a nice easy scapegoat for when you fail "The process is still being worked on 8 years in so it's okay"

Philly fans are a lot like Knick fans - though slighlty more successful.

Cling to the idea of being an amazing franchise because you were good in the 70s and 80s. There was one NBA finals appearance with AI but other than that the team has made it out of the first round of the playoffs just 7 times since the end of the "golden era" of the late 70s through 80s.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:49 am
GannonFan wrote:
Aren't we going into like the 3rd or 4th GM and 3rd or 4th coach since the process started?

Aren't Embiid and Simmons a major part of the process?

Wasn't part of the process taking Fultz at like #3?

Haven't people outside if Philly been questioning Embiid, physically and mentally, since he got to the league years ago?

Dude isnt going to grow up. He's just not. He would rather be a twitter troll than a professional

The process started in 2012 - 8 seasons now. In those 8 seasons they have
3 winning seasons
Finished in the top of of their own division just 1 time
Failed to even make the eastern conference finals
Failed to make even the semi-finals this year

Maybe...just freaking maybe...the process is a scam. It's broken. I doesn't actually work. BUT it's a nice easy phrase that you can get the fans to cling on to. It's a nice easy scapegoat for when you fail "The process is still being worked on 8 years in so it's okay"

Philly fans are a lot like Knick fans - though slighlty more successful.

Cling to the idea of being an amazing franchise because you were good in the 70s and 80s. There was one NBA finals appearance with AI but other than that the team has made it out of the first round of the playoffs just 7 times since the end of the "golden era" of the late 70s through 80s.

At the earliest the Process started with the 2013-14 season, but really it was the 2014-15 season when they jettisoned MCW - so 6 years now, with 3 being purposeful losing and just the last 3 being trying to win. Doug Collins was still the coach in 2012.

Good point about the lack of winning since the 80's - that's why the Process was/is worthwhile - it's not like the Sixers were winning doing things the normal way - you talk about the lack of progress in the past 6 years, but it was only the lack of progress in the 20 years before that that made the Process an option.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I did the search. The process was mentioned in 2012, and it was trying the 12/13 season Hinke made it widkey known about the process.

It's been 8 seasons.

Every team had "the process"

Only 1 team has made it such a public marketing plan that has resulted in a catastrophic marketing failure.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am I did the search. The process was mentioned in 2012, and it was trying the 12/13 season Hinke made it widkey known about the process.

It's been 8 seasons.

Only 1 team has made it such a public marketing plan that has resulted in a catastrophic marketing failure.

Given the increase in Sixers ticket and merchandise and national attention, no one would call it a "marketing" failure. Quite the opposite, it's been a riotous success. Where it hasn't delivered has been on the floor in terms of playoff success. But that's not marketing.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 am
clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am I did the search. The process was mentioned in 2012, and it was trying the 12/13 season Hinke made it widkey known about the process.

It's been 8 seasons.

Given the increase in Sixers ticket and merchandise and national attention, no one would call it a "marketing" failure. Quite the opposite, it's been a riotous success. Where it hasn't delivered has been on the floor in terms of playoff success. But that's not marketing.
The Process has been a massive failure.

On the PR front it's been nothing but something for the rest of the world to point and laugh at.
Even more so now that the key players in the whole thing are gone and they actual players that this entire thing has been revolving around have been shit and/or being said that they need to leave town to make it work

8 years of "The Process" and "Trust it" and overall the franchise is marginally better than they were at the very start of it
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am Every team had "the process"
So much truth in that part. Every team in every sport has gone through their own "process" in one way or another. For the Blazers, our "process" began with the dismantling of the "Jail Blazers". Roy/Aldridge/Oden was supposed to bring us out of it. Now we're relying on Lillard/McCollum/Nurkic. Our "process" is still ongoing.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 am

On the PR front it's been nothing but something for the rest of the world to point and laugh at.
Even more so now that the key players in the whole thing are gone and they actual players that this entire thing has been revolving around have been shit and/or being said that they need to leave town to make it work

8 years of "The Process" and "Trust it" and overall the franchise is marginally better than they were at the very start of it
Well, the NBA did make the Sixers fire Hinkie (the architect of the Process) and to hire Colangelo as a sop to his old man, who was a very well connected NBA insider. That certainly wasn't helpful (e.g. see the Markelle Fultz fleecing during "Burnergate").
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The NBA forced them to hire him?

He didn't interview for the job?
They didn't make the choice to hire him?

Stern went to the franchise and went "Fuck you, this is your new GM"?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 am

And what team do you support? The lame-assed Timberwolves?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Ivytalk wrote:
clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 am The Process has been a massive failure.

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:44 pm
Ivytalk wrote:
Irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

I’ll take that as a “yes.”
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:41 pm The NBA forced them to hire him?

Uh, first of all, Adam Silver has been the commissioner of the NBA now for about 6 years, not sure if you got the memo on that. David Stern (rip) hasn't been the commissioner for quite awhile. Welcome to the present.

And as for the circumstances, it was made clear that Hinkie had to go - the NBA front office couldn't tolerate intentional losing - at least not acknowledged intentional losing. Tanking has been around forever, you're just not supposed to admit to it. The elder Colangelo was brought in by the NBA to make the Sixers stop losing on purpose and to usher Hinkie out and once the GM spot was open he, by sheer coincidence, brought his son in to be the GM. That's when the Process was aborted, roughly the end of the 2015-16 season. The Colangelo's were all about the Colangelo's - Jerry even threaten to blackball the Sixers when they were firing Bryan for the whole Burner-phone fiasco. Amazingly we needed Burner-phone-gate to fire Bryan - his disastrous fleecing in the Markelle Fultz saga wasn't nearly enough to do him in.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 pm
clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:44 pm Irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

I’ll take that as a “yes.”
The Wolves are not the team I grew up following.

Mind you I grew up in Iowa in the 90s. The Wolves make sense. So do other teams.

Again, who I follow is completely irrelevant
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:23 am
clenz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:41 pm The NBA forced them to hire him?

Uh, first of all, Adam Silver has been the commissioner of the NBA now for about 6 years, not sure if you got the memo on that. David Stern (rip) hasn't been the commissioner for quite awhile. Welcome to the present.

And as for the circumstances, it was made clear that Hinkie had to go - the NBA front office couldn't tolerate intentional losing - at least not acknowledged intentional losing. Tanking has been around forever, you're just not supposed to admit to it. The elder Colangelo was brought in by the NBA to make the Sixers stop losing on purpose and to usher Hinkie out and once the GM spot was open he, by sheer coincidence, brought his son in to be the GM. That's when the Process was aborted, roughly the end of the 2015-16 season. The Colangelo's were all about the Colangelo's - Jerry even threaten to blackball the Sixers when they were firing Bryan for the whole Burner-phone fiasco. Amazingly we needed Burner-phone-gate to fire Bryan - his disastrous fleecing in the Markelle Fultz saga wasn't nearly enough to do him in.
I couldn't remember how long Silver had been in charge. I clearly deserve the death penalty

And yeah - turns out the league front office and other franchises/owners - aren't a fan of a major market team intentionally losing 60 times a season and bragging about how good they are at losing 60 games a season.

Maybe not be so outspoken and proud of being a shit franchise.

Again, the Sixers aren't that creative. They aren't that revolutionary. "The Process" isn't unique to them. Turns out being so insanely outspoke about it, drawing attention to it, and being bad at it, is unique to them though.

The Spurs tried it once and won something like 5 NBA titles in 15 years or some shit like that.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

NBA makes a stand as the Milwaukee Bucks boycott game, the other NBA playoff games postponed. The only problem with that is, most of the racist in this country don't watch the NBA anyway.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:25 pm NBA makes a stand as the Milwaukee Bucks boycott game, the other NBA playoff games postponed. The only problem with that is, most of the racist in this country don't watch the NBA anyway.
It wasn't the NBA, it was the players. The Bucks players and coaches advised the Magic they were going to forfeit the game. Magic decided not to accept the forfeit and walked off the court. Thunder, Rockets, Blazers and Lakers all then decided to boycott the rest of the games today.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:55 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:25 pm NBA makes a stand as the Milwaukee Bucks boycott game, the other NBA playoff games postponed. The only problem with that is, most of the racist in this country don't watch the NBA anyway.
It wasn't the NBA, it was the players. The Bucks players and coaches advised the Magic they were going to forfeit the game. Magic decided not to accept the forfeit and walked off the court. Thunder, Rockets, Blazers and Lakers all then decided to boycott the rest of the games today.
Sorry, I just assume the players are the NBA, but to be specific it was the NBA players and not the NBA office.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Well it's now all nba games

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Good. Hopefully they boycott the rest of this season, and next, and the one after that, and...

Not sure what they're trying to accomplish. If they influence people to comply with law enforcement instructions, it will be a success, as that would prevent over 99% of police shootings.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:37 pm Good. Hopefully they boycott the rest of this season, and next, and the one after that, and...

Not sure what they're trying to accomplish. If they influence people to comply with law enforcement instructions, it will be a success, as that would prevent over 99% of police shootings.
Yep. I could care less if they played. I just saw they were boycotting, and came over here wondering why? You had a felon, with a rap sheet of violent crimes, who had a felony warrant out for his arrest for sexual assault, who was resisting arrest (reportedly a taser(s) was/were deployed, and failed. The WI Justice Dept released a statement saying a knife was found in the floorboard of the vehicle. He was reaching in the car (above the floorboard) and was shot. So why is the NBA boycotting? :suspicious:

And the FAKE NEWS media still continues to lie.
The protest comes in response to the shooting of an unarmed Black man named Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on Sunday.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... ting/live/

Saying 'a knife was found in the floorboard of the vehicle', or before the statement was put out by the WI Justice Dept, 'unknown if was armed or not' would have been acceptable. But saying he was 'unarmed' as a matter of fact is an out and out lie.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Liberals have perverted due process so badly this year that any white police officer involved in a detainment with injury due to noncompliance is assumed guilty.

And then the liberals march in and start beating up white people, destroying property, and looting.

This election was looking pretty dicey for Trump a few months ago. Then the public got another series of stark reminders of what the Democrats stand for. Average Americans just don't want all of this violence being perpetrated by liberals
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:37 pm Good. Hopefully they boycott the rest of this season, and next, and the one after that, and...

May not just be the NBA if this continues. MLS, MLB, NCAA and NFL could all join, if you look at the big picture of whats happening.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 am

May not just be the NBA if this continues. MLS, MLB, NCAA and NFL could all join, if you look at the big picture of whats happening.
That's fine. They all need a reality check into how much they (athletes) really matter in this world. They need to remember they're just entertainers, like circus clowns and hookers.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:21 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 am

That's fine. They all need a reality check into how much they (athletes) really matter in this world. They need to remember they're just entertainers, like circus clowns and hookers.
I could see Hollyweird doing something too.