2020 NBA Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2020 NBA Season

Post by Gil Dobie »

Big night last night. Jimmy Buckets is finally happy, well maybe, the Heat go up 2-0 on the Bucks. OKC nearly upsets the Rockets after trading Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:19 pm Big night last night. Jimmy Buckets is finally happy, well maybe, the Heat go up 2-0 on the Bucks. OKC nearly upsets the Rockets after trading Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook.
I fear this is the time, though, when the Western conference becomes a snore for a round - I just don't see either LA team being challenged until they face each other.

On the Eastern side, Boston and Miami are both looking like tough teams to play - lot of moxy from both teams. And I don't like either of them so that's saying something.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Houston take the Lakers in game 1.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:45 am Houston take the Lakers in game 1.
Just like the Blazer playoff series, LeBron tried to turn back the clock 10 years and play like 25 year old LeBron. He can't do that anymore. Lakers do better when Davis is the #1 option and LeBron is #2. Davis has more of an advantage over the Rockets than he did over Nurkic. When the Lakers (and LeBron) realize that, Lakers will breeze. If LeBron ignores Davis and thinks he can win it himself, this series will be much tighter than it should be.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:34 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:45 am Houston take the Lakers in game 1.
Just like the Blazer playoff series, LeBron tried to turn back the clock 10 years and play like 25 year old LeBron. He can't do that anymore. Lakers do better when Davis is the #1 option and LeBron is #2. Davis has more of an advantage over the Rockets than he did over Nurkic. When the Lakers (and LeBron) realize that, Lakers will breeze. If LeBron ignores Davis and thinks he can win it himself, this series will be much tighter than it should be.
Listen, I don't really like Lebron all that much, but you're looking at him too closely in all of this. Davis still took more shots than Lebron in the Game 1 loss, so it's not like Lebron's not looking to him. You can't get too worked up about Game 1's - sometimes it takes a little bit to get the feel of the series. Weird things can happen in Game 1's that don't play out that way as the series moves on. It's like how you have weird results in the NFL in the first week but then things return to form as the rhythm of the season takes over. Lebron flirts with a triple double in Game 2 (and takes more shots than he did in Game 1) and they roll. Notice the bench did a lot better in Game 2 than in Game 1 - it's not always about Lebron and Davis. Like I said, I don't like Lebron very much at all, but a Lakers/Clippers Western Conference final is as close to a sure thing as there is in sports. This round is just for practice.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:03 am
JALMOND wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:34 am

Listen, I don't really like Lebron all that much, but you're looking at him too closely in all of this. Davis still took more shots than Lebron in the Game 1 loss, so it's not like Lebron's not looking to him. You can't get too worked up about Game 1's - sometimes it takes a little bit to get the feel of the series. Weird things can happen in Game 1's that don't play out that way as the series moves on. It's like how you have weird results in the NFL in the first week but then things return to form as the rhythm of the season takes over. Lebron flirts with a triple double in Game 2 (and takes more shots than he did in Game 1) and they roll. Notice the bench did a lot better in Game 2 than in Game 1 - it's not always about Lebron and Davis. Like I said, I don't like Lebron very much at all, but a Lakers/Clippers Western Conference final is as close to a sure thing as there is in sports. This round is just for practice.
Sure thing is the Clippers always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. Kiss of death is bringing in former Eastern Conference All-Star Paul George who fizzled out in the first round last year on Lillard's "bad shot" (George's first taste of Western Conference playoff basketball).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:38 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:03 am

Sure thing is the Clippers always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. Kiss of death is bringing in former Eastern Conference All-Star Paul George who fizzled out in the first round last year on Lillard's "bad shot" (George's first taste of Western Conference playoff basketball).
Think that was two years ago - this is George's 3rd season playing in the Western Conference. Truth be told, he's had good showings in the playoffs since moving out west - last year was his most productive postseason in his career, even better than anything he did in the East. Difference for the Clippers this year will be Kawhi - he willed the Raptors to the title last year (even better than Golden State before guys starting getting injured left and right), and that included some close calls in the East (including the multiple bounce 3 pointer in Game 7 to eliminate the Sixers). Whatever George may not be doing, Kawhi is sure to be there to fill the gap. Whether that's enough to beat the Lakers will be interesting.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:04 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:38 am

Think that was two years ago - this is George's 3rd season playing in the Western Conference. Truth be told, he's had good showings in the playoffs since moving out west - last year was his most productive postseason in his career, even better than anything he did in the East. Difference for the Clippers this year will be Kawhi - he willed the Raptors to the title last year (even better than Golden State before guys starting getting injured left and right), and that included some close calls in the East (including the multiple bounce 3 pointer in Game 7 to eliminate the Sixers). Whatever George may not be doing, Kawhi is sure to be there to fill the gap. Whether that's enough to beat the Lakers will be interesting.
First round exit against the Jazz his first year (I forgot about that one).
First round exit against the Blazers the next year (4-1 which I guess qualifies as a snoozefest). :lol:

Clips will find a way to lose this series against Denver.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:00 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:04 am

First round exit against the Blazers the next year (4-1 which I guess qualifies as a snoozefest). :lol:

None of those teams had Kawhi on them. I don't know if you've noticed Kawhi this year but he's a pretty above average player. He might have an impact. :coffee:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:54 pm
JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:00 pm

None of those teams had Kawhi on them. I don't know if you've noticed Kawhi this year but he's a pretty above average player. He might have an impact. :coffee:
They're still the Clips. Smart money on "Chubby Tubby" and the rest of the Nuggets. :nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:31 pm

They're still the Clips. Smart money on "Chubby Tubby" and the rest of the Nuggets. :nod:
That's silly, so just because they have the same uniforms as teams that came before them they're the same team? You're not a simpleton, so don't descend into being one. The Nuggets aren't as good as the Clippers. Kawhi makes all the difference. Heck, I think the Clippers beat the Lakers too. Kawhi is that good. I don't care about what the franchise was for the past 20-30 years, that means nothing.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:19 pm Big night last night. Jimmy Buckets is finally happy, well maybe, the Heat go up 2-0 on the Bucks. OKC nearly upsets the Rockets after trading Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook.
I fear this is the time, though, when the Western conference becomes a snore for a round - I just don't see either LA team being challenged until they face each other.

On the Eastern side, Boston and Miami are both looking like tough teams to play - lot of moxy from both teams. And I don't like either of them so that's saying something.
As expected, the Western conference second round has been nothing but a set of live scrimmages for the Clippers and Lakers to get ready for each in the round where we'll really see folks be tested. Grind indeed. :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Harden might be Hargone.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

There will be a new champion this year.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am

As expected, the Western conference second round has been nothing but a set of live scrimmages for the Clippers and Lakers to get ready for each in the round where we'll really see folks be tested. Grind indeed. :rofl:
Same old Clippers. :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:31 pm

Too funny. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:08 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 am

We'll see - Kawhi let some series go the distance last year as he slogged through the Eastern Conference. We'll see what he does in Game 7. Meanwhile, the Lakers get some extra rest after coasting through the first two rounds of the supposed grind of the Western Conference. Might tip the scales for the Lakers at this point, getting all this rest. Not sure the Celtics or Heat have enough to beat them in the Finals, but I wouldn't count out Kawhi just yet either.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:35 am
JALMOND wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:08 pm

We'll see - Kawhi let some series go the distance last year as he slogged through the Eastern Conference. We'll see what he does in Game 7. Meanwhile, the Lakers get some extra rest after coasting through the first two rounds of the supposed grind of the Western Conference. Might tip the scales for the Lakers at this point, getting all this rest. Not sure the Celtics or Heat have enough to beat them in the Finals, but I wouldn't count out Kawhi just yet either.
Clips had the Nuggets down in Game 5, couldn't close it out.
Clips had the Nuggets down in Game 6, couldn't close it out.

Same old Clippers. 0-7 in closeouts to the conference finals. Soon to be 0-8.

Leonard has shown that a marginal Western Conference All-Star can be a god in the East, then when he returns to the west, once again, he is...meh.

One game, winner take all. I'll still take "Chubby Tubby" and the rest of the Nuggets (and Paul George can complain that Jamal Murray took a bad shot this time).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 am

Leonard has shown that a marginal Western Conference All-Star can be a god in the East, then when he returns to the west, once again, he is...meh.

One game, winner take all. I'll still take "Chubby Tubby" and the rest of the Nuggets (and Paul George can complain that Jamal Murray took a bad shot this time).
He was a god the NBA Finals too. Remind me again who the Eastern Conference champ plays in the finals? :coffee:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 am

Clippers. :rofl:

:ohno: :dunce:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 am He was a god the NBA Finals too.
God in the East, Mortal in the West.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:33 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 am He was a god the NBA Finals too.
God in the East, Mortal in the West.
Hey, you were right about the Clippers being the Clippers. Of course, you were also wrong about Lebron having to go through the "grind" of the Western Conference, so we're both batting .500. Big question is now is there anyone who can stop the Lakers? I don't see the Nuggets being more than a bump in the road for the Lakers, so the question is whether Jimmy Butler is enough of a factor to deny Lebron another ring. I hope he is.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Like what one of my Laker friends said after the game, "Lakers are still the Lakers, and the Clippers are still the Clippers".

However, I mentioned that it has been awhile since the Lakers were winning.

Two things I look forward to in the playoffs every year. 1) How the Blazers do, and 2) How the Clippers are going to lose this year. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

You have the Lebron-lovers now out in force saying if he wins it this year with this Lakers team and gets his 4th ring that he should be elevated above Jordan, based on the idea that this Lakers team is basically him, Davis, and not much else. What they're also missing is that this Lakers team, for all of their flaws, is still likely the best team in the NBA. Can't really compare teams from year to year, you have to compare teams to their competition in that year.

With all that said, I'll be rooting hard for the Nuggets and I'll be rooting hard for Jimmy Butler. I'm starting to think the Heat could beat the Lakers at this point - Jimmy is just loaded with mojo right now.