2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:18 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 am
Predict what the Colts get from Wentz ...
1) Return to all-star QB
b) Continued poor play, locker room outcast & snowflake diva attitude
* Somewhere in between
IV) Pee in the butt
It doesn't hurt that Indy has an O-Line and coaches that helped Wentz during his best season.
You might get #1 but the 2020 Wentz was a snowflake who was disliked in the locker room and wouldn't take responsibility for his part in the team's poor play. It's up to him to man up and turn it around because if he continues down that road he'll end up being Jeff George with less arm talent.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Reports: Carson Wentz fell out of favor with Eagles locker room, stopped talking to Doug Pederson for weeks
In Philly, it did get personal (because of course it did) between Wentz and head coach Doug Pederson. Wentz, according to team and league sources, had been falling out of favor with the locker room as well, unable to connect with a swath of players, acting more in self interest than what would be expected from a franchise quarterback and leader. Losing and adversity had brought out the worst in him, he didn’t handle losing his spot to Jalen Hurts with aplomb and, as reported here within days of him losing his job, a plethora of NFL general managers and executives were already predicting Wentz’s rapid exodus from Philadelphia after the season, even as Eagles officials pleaded there was nothing to see here and Wentz remains a key part of the organization.
Talent and mobility-wise, Carson's an upgrade from Rivers. Leadership-wise, he's a dropoff. Maybe the Colts need to bring in Alex Smith to show Carson how to be an adult and lead with class.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:33 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:18 am

It doesn't hurt that Indy has an O-Line and coaches that helped Wentz during his best season.
You might get #1 but the 2020 Wentz was a snowflake who was disliked in the locker room and wouldn't take responsibility for his part in the team's poor play. It's up to him to man up and turn it around because if he continues down that road he'll end up being Jeff George with less arm talent.
He’s got a long way to go to be Jeff George....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:46 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:33 am

Nice try, weren't you just complaining about Mahomet having a tough time in the Super Bowl because of a decimated O-line? Wentz played an entire season with Philly's makeshift line, after losing 2 to start the season, one being an all pro.

If Indy wins 11 games this year, with Wentz as starter, Wentz will tie George's win total from 12 years in the league, to what will be Wentz 6th season. Wentz rating is 89.2, best 102.9 & 101.9, George 80.4, best 94.2.

Have you heard Wentz say anything bad about anyone? Just curious if the locker room is that bad, or are you all listening to the media again.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:36 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:46 pm
Nice try, weren't you just complaining about Mahomet having a tough time in the Super Bowl because of a decimated O-line? Wentz played an entire season with Philly's makeshift line, after losing 2 to start the season, one being an all pro.

If Indy wins 11 games this year, with Wentz as starter, Wentz will tie George's win total from 12 years in the league, to what will be Wentz 6th season. Wentz rating is 89.2, best 102.9 & 101.9, George 80.4, best 94.2.

Have you heard Wentz say anything bad about anyone? Just curious if the locker room is that bad, or are you all listening to the media again.
Darnold played on a team that was much worse than the Eagles and with a coach who absolutely sucked and was only slight worse than Wentz.

Would you be defending Wentz so vigorously if he wasn't a former Bison? How many Eagles have stepped forward to defend him from these allegations? There is a whole lot of smoke there, enough for me to think that there is probably a fire.

Wentz might become a good/great QB again now that he's with a good team or the thin skin and inability to take responsibility might be who he is and his stay in Indy could be a flop and hell disappear in history as a what if/what happened?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:45 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:36 am

Darnold played on a team that was much worse than the Eagles and with a coach who absolutely sucked and was only slight worse than Wentz.

Would you be defending Wentz so vigorously if he wasn't a former Bison? How many Eagles have stepped forward to defend him from these allegations? There is a whole lot of smoke there, enough for me to think that there is probably a fire.

Wentz might become a good/great QB again now that he's with a good team or the thin skin and inability to take responsibility might be who he is and his stay in Indy could be a flop and hell disappear in history as a what if/what happened?
Is that a trick question, of course I'm following Wentz, because of #1 NDSU, #2 FCS, just like I follow other Bison, and guys like David Johnson, Curt Warner, etc. You said you didn't see any support from Philly players. After that article came out from an unnamed source, a few players tweeted in his defense.

Zach Ertz: Don’t believe everything you read!!! Carson has been nothing but a GREAT person, GREAT teammate and GREAT leader since Day 1. Our locker room stands behind him all the way. We can’t wait to get back to work and be the best team we can be in 2019! #FlyEaglesFly

Lane Johnson: Whoever wrote that article needs to check their "sources". #fakenews
Carson has been and is our leader and our QB. Y'all know where to find me if you have any issues.

Nate Sudfeld

Jason Kelce
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil, a couple of questions:
  • Why did the Eagles trade Wentz?
  • Why did they get so little for him?
  • There are a lot of teams not drafting high that need QBs, why did it appear that Indy was the only team in the running for him?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:29 pm Gil, a couple of questions:
  • There are a lot of teams not drafting high that need QBs, why did it appear that Indy was the only team in the running for him?
Sounds like Wentz wanted out of Philly and Philly wanted to go with Hurts. Several teams talked to Philly, only Indy made an offer, probably because they could see that Wentz had a good relationship with Reich, his former OC at Philly. 2nd and possible 1st rounder for the bad season Wentz had? Goff was packaged with a couple 1st rounders for Stafford. Curious to see how well he does in Indy.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:29 pm Gil, a couple of questions:
Sounds like Wentz wanted out of Philly and Philly wanted to go with Hurts. Several teams talked to Philly, only Indy made an offer, probably because they could see that Wentz had a good relationship with Reich, his former OC at Philly. 2nd and possible 1st rounder for the bad season Wentz had? Goff was packaged with a couple 1st rounders for Stafford. Curious to see how well he does in Indy.
That's possible. It's just as possible that Wentz stomped his feet and demanded out even though the Eagles brought in a Reich disciple to try and help him out. That teams such as the Bears didn't make a better offer than the Colts because they knew that Wentz didn't want to play for them (DeFilippo reportedly coached Wentz hard when he was with the Eagles) and who wants to trade for someone that is going to be disgruntled from the start. That the Eagles got so little for him because he narrowed the market down to one team and screwed over the Eagles one last time.

He might do well in Indy but for now, the question remains - does he have a million-dollar arm and a 5 cent head?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:24 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 am

That's possible. It's just as possible that Wentz stomped his feet and demanded out even though the Eagles brought in a Reich disciple to try and help him out. That teams such as the Bears didn't make a better offer than the Colts because they knew that Wentz didn't want to play for them (DeFilippo reportedly coached Wentz hard when he was with the Eagles) and who wants to trade for someone that is going to be disgruntled from the start. That the Eagles got so little for him because he narrowed the market down to one team and screwed over the Eagles one last time.

He might do well in Indy but for now, the question remains - does he have a million-dollar arm and a 5 cent head?
You really don't like him. He was treated bad by the Philly press and the coach. Glad for him, he gets a 2nd chance.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 am

You really don't like him. He was treated bad by the Philly press and the coach. Glad for him, he gets a 2nd chance.
Saying that "he was treated bad" by the Philly coach is a copout. That relationship is a two-way street and Pederson isn't the only one to blame for it going bad. Pederson, Roseman and Wentz all deserve ridicule for the shitshow that the Eagles became.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:39 am

Saying that "he was treated bad" by the Philly coach is a copout. That relationship is a two-way street and Pederson isn't the only one to blame for it going bad. Pederson, Roseman and Wentz all deserve ridicule for the shitshow that the Eagles became.
Yes that is obvious, didn't say it wasn't. Did he treat the press bad? Nothing bad to say about the press?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:52 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:39 am
Yes that is obvious, didn't say it wasn't. Did he treat the press bad? Nothing bad to say about the press?
The Philly press (and Philly fans) can be hard on anyone. He's a professional athlete, that's part of the game and why they get paid the big bucks. It's 100% on him if his skin isn't thick enough to handle it.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:09 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:52 am

The Philly press (and Philly fans) can be hard on anyone. He's a professional athlete, that's part of the game and why they get paid the big bucks. It's 100% on him if his skin isn't thick enough to handle it.
He will be fine, whether he plays well or not. Good level headed kid. Press probably didn't bother him much. Philly moved on to Hurts, time to go find another place to play.

I hope the trade works out for all parties involved.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

What did the Philly press have to do with this? Wentz cratered in a year where there were no fans and the press was kept at a Zoom distance. This was the year with the least amount of press ever. Wentz failed because he didn't have a good relationship with the coach, he didn't have a good relationship with the front office, and because he couldn't handle the pressure of having a backup QB behind him (brought back memories of Foles). And he performed badly from the get go, even before the offensive line became decimated. And you have to wonder how much is in the tank following all of his injuries - he's not even close to the same player he was in that Super Bowl year prior to the injury. But blaming the Philly press is comical as COVID meant that there basically wasn't any press to speak of.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:49 pm I hope the trade works out for all parties involved.
I almost believe you.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I want to know what 93 thinks about Wentz and this trade. 89 can you get out your Ouija board and check with him?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 am

What did the Philly press have to do with this? Wentz cratered in a year where there were no fans and the press was kept at a Zoom distance. This was the year with the least amount of press ever. Wentz failed because he didn't have a good relationship with the coach, he didn't have a good relationship with the front office, and because he couldn't handle the pressure of having a backup QB behind him (brought back memories of Foles). And he performed badly from the get go, even before the offensive line became decimated. And you have to wonder how much is in the tank following all of his injuries - he's not even close to the same player he was in that Super Bowl year prior to the injury. But blaming the Philly press is comical as COVID meant that there basically wasn't any press to speak of.
Who's blaming the press, I said he was treated badly by the press and the coach. The press started before Covid, and Pederson took away his play calling. Wentz has his own reasons for leaving and I'm going to quit guessing. Maybe it was Reich etal, should get more credit for the Super Bowl win.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:49 pm I hope the trade works out for all parties involved.
I almost believe you.
Typical Philly fan. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:53 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 am

I almost believe you.
Hmmm, almost sounds like you don't care for Philly fans. So your sincerity was right to be questioned. :rule:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 am
Who's blaming the press, I said he was treated badly by the press and the coach. The press started before Covid, and Pederson took away his play calling. Wentz has his own reasons for leaving and I'm going to quit guessing. Maybe it was Reich etal, should get more credit for the Super Bowl win.
Maybe he was treated badly by the coach or maybe he treated the coach badly. More likely there is truth to both. You can circle the wagons to defend him but Wentz is at least partially responsible for the Eagle meltdown and is fair game for criticism as a result.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:02 pm

Hmmm, almost sounds like you don't care for Philly fans. So your sincerity was right to be questioned. :rule:
I laugh in your general direction. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Maybe he was treated badly by the coach or maybe he treated the coach badly. More likely there is truth to both. You can circle the wagons to defend him but Wentz is at least partially responsible for the Eagle meltdown and is fair game for criticism as a result.
So it's a 2 way street, never said it wasn't. If there are bad feeling on one side, both sides, whatever, it's not a good place to be. Wentz can't change other people, and other people can't change him. Time to part ways and put the past behind.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Some pretty good stuff on Wentz and the Eagles in the today's MMQB ...
The Eagles did a lot the last three years to try and get Wentz back to his MVP form of 2017. They fired, hired and promoted assistant coaches. They mortgaged contracts. They paid him more than Aaron Rodgers got months before him. And they propped him up as the face of the franchise at every turn—even after a game he didn’t play in.

As while we’re digging through the rubble of the last three years between Wentz and the team that traded up twice to get him in 2016, there’s a hard truth you’ll find buried in there. You do all that for a player, and eventually the production has to justify it. If it doesn’t, you risk things getting really weird.

Regardless of who or what you want to blame for it, Wentz’s production didn’t merit the treatment he got, and it hadn’t for a while. So things got weird, and now he’s gone.