2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 am So, will this coach work out?
All depends on whether Wentz can pull on his big boy pants and get back to being an NFL QB. He forced Pederson out the door and this hire looks to be exclusively put in place to placate Wentz. Reports recently that Wentz wouldn't run plays sent in by Pederson weren't very positive on Wentz. And there's no indication that he's got a lot of friends in the locker room. Eagles are stuck with him for at least another year, but as each year goes by it will be progressively easier monetarily to move on from him. Eagles shouldn't screw up the draft this time around as either WR (Chase or Smith) should be there when they pick at #6, although Roseman likes to think he's smarter than everyone else (Whiteside and Raegor rather than Metcalf and Jefferson would say otherwise) so they couldn't always go off script. But either way, this is now a make or break year for Wentz. And if fans are back in the building this year he'll hear it if he repeats his performance of this past year.
Don't they need help on the O-line too.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:43 pm Don't they need help on the O-line too.
Most teams do. FWIW, Hurts put up a 83.6 passer rating but with 106 rushing against the Saints and then 102.3 rating and 63 against the Cards in his first two starts.

Wentz only had two games over 83.6 rating in 12 starts and only had 276 rushing all year (not that he's supposed to rush).

Hurts may not be the answer, but we know Wentz isn't for sure.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:41 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 am

All depends on whether Wentz can pull on his big boy pants and get back to being an NFL QB. He forced Pederson out the door and this hire looks to be exclusively put in place to placate Wentz. Reports recently that Wentz wouldn't run plays sent in by Pederson weren't very positive on Wentz. And there's no indication that he's got a lot of friends in the locker room. Eagles are stuck with him for at least another year, but as each year goes by it will be progressively easier monetarily to move on from him. Eagles shouldn't screw up the draft this time around as either WR (Chase or Smith) should be there when they pick at #6, although Roseman likes to think he's smarter than everyone else (Whiteside and Raegor rather than Metcalf and Jefferson would say otherwise) so they couldn't always go off script. But either way, this is now a make or break year for Wentz. And if fans are back in the building this year he'll hear it if he repeats his performance of this past year.
Philly fans will eat him alive if he repeats his performance in front a crowd.
Indeed, and rightfully so. I think he was the worst starting QB in the NFL last year. That's going to illicit some boos, and well deserved.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:09 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:43 pm Don't they need help on the O-line too.
Most teams do. FWIW, Hurts put up a 83.6 passer rating but with 106 rushing against the Saints and then 102.3 rating and 63 against the Cards in his first two starts.

Wentz only had two games over 83.6 rating in 12 starts and only had 276 rushing all year (not that he's supposed to rush).

Agreed. Hurts looked better with the same exact team around him, both in terms of avoiding pressure and it terms of getting his receiving corps involved. Apples to apples, Hurts looked better than Wentz (and I'm by no means ready to anoint Hurts as the QB to stick with).
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I'm so tired of the folks saying if he had a better line and better receivers.... yeah, I'd be better too with an awesome team around me to make up for my inadequacies.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Kind of have a feeling if I ask about the defense, kicking or anything else, the answer will involve Wentz. Sorry I asked about your team.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Philadelphia Eagles may have doomed Carson Wentz inadvertently
Think about it for a second. Rather than hire someone that would mend the locker room (Duce Staley), bring some much-needed structure, even if there’s a chance that he would have sent the team over the edge (Josh McDaniels), or wait for an opportunity to interview someone who could have done both (Eric Bieniemy), they chose, rather, to hire a therapist for their super-sensitive and super soft signal-caller.
Carson Wentz’s agent should find some sort of endorsement deal for Charmin tissue or something. Get it? They’re both soft.
Carson is spoiled, coddled (we’re now hearing that irritated Duce Staley by the way), and he’s used to being told how great he is. Philadelphia has been a culture shock. Never has 11 heard that he ‘sucks’ or ‘can’t play’, and by all accounts, from where most of us are sitting, Wentz can’t handle that. He keeps showing up on payday though!
Wentz isn't responsible for everything that has gone wrong with the Eagles but he whether he can't admit it or not, he contributed to the problems and shares responsibility.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:11 pm

Kind of have a feeling if I ask about the defense, kicking or anything else, the answer will involve Wentz. Sorry I asked about your team.
Sorry you think this is personal. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:32 pm

Why would it be personal?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Maybe he's just defending Wentz the way you defend Flacco ... :poke: :kisswink:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:15 pm Philadelphia Eagles may have doomed Carson Wentz inadvertently
Think about it for a second. Rather than hire someone that would mend the locker room (Duce Staley), bring some much-needed structure, even if there’s a chance that he would have sent the team over the edge (Josh McDaniels), or wait for an opportunity to interview someone who could have done both (Eric Bieniemy), they chose, rather, to hire a therapist for their super-sensitive and super soft signal-caller.
Carson Wentz’s agent should find some sort of endorsement deal for Charmin tissue or something. Get it? They’re both soft.
Carson is spoiled, coddled (we’re now hearing that irritated Duce Staley by the way), and he’s used to being told how great he is. Philadelphia has been a culture shock. Never has 11 heard that he ‘sucks’ or ‘can’t play’, and by all accounts, from where most of us are sitting, Wentz can’t handle that. He keeps showing up on payday though!
Wentz isn't responsible for everything that has gone wrong with the Eagles but he whether he can't admit it or not, he contributed to the problems and shares responsibility.
He's the starting QB on an NFL team - he bears a huge responsibility for how the team does. Look at the 4 teams that just played in the conference championship games - Brady, Mahomes, Allen, and Rodgers. They are the best players on their teams, the most important players, and how they go so does the rest of the team. Heck, Rodgers, like Wentz, had a QB taken high in this past draft, they both hated the moves, and Rodgers went out and had an MVP season in response, while Wentz got his coach fired. That's a difference. The QB position is by and far the most consequential player on an NFL team - like it or not, they shoulder a huge amount of responsibility for the team's success.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:13 pm
Maybe he's just defending Wentz the way you defend Flacco ... :poke: :kisswink:
Not really.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:09 pm
Why would it be personal?
That's my question.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Eagles fans,

Lots of chatter about the Bears, Panthers, etc. being interested in Wentz with the loser and others making a run at Darnold. What do you think? If you were a fan of one of the teams looking for a QB, would you rather your team give Wentz or Darnold a shot?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:15 am Eagles fans,

Lots of chatter about the Bears, Panthers, etc. being interested in Wentz with the loser and others making a run at Darnold. What do you think? If you were a fan of one of the teams looking for a QB, would you rather your team give Wentz or Darnold a shot?
Wentz is a tough one - you have to wonder how healthy he is or how much the prior injuries have impacted his ceiling. He did have a particularly awful season. He used to have a better outlook than Darnold, and still does probably, but you also have to wonder about his coachability and impact on the locker room - he got one coach fired and he doesn't seem to have a lot of friends in the locker room.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:43 am

Wentz is a tough one - you have to wonder how healthy he is or how much the prior injuries have impacted his ceiling. He did have a particularly awful season. He used to have a better outlook than Darnold, and still does probably, but you also have to wonder about his coachability and impact on the locker room - he got one coach fired and he doesn't seem to have a lot of friends in the locker room.
A year ago people would have laughed at the question but now it's something to consider. I wonder about Wentz's injuries, mental fortitude and ability to command a locker room. Darnold doesn't have the history of success that Wentz does but many considered him the best QB in his draft class and he didn't go full diva while playing on a worse team. Darnold is definitely lower risk.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

If it's Indy or Carolina, then Wentz. Chicago is a dumpster fire right now, I don't think Wentz improves da Bears.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

From ESPN sports center yesterday, might take Carolina out of the Wentz pursuit if this were to happen.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Has there ever been four QB's taken 1-4?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:00 am From ESPN sports center yesterday, might take Carolina out of the Wentz pursuit if this were to happen.

Good picks for the Bengals and Eagles.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I think the Eagles have to trade Carson Wentz soon
The market’s not strong for Wentz for a variety of reasons. The contract (a team trading for him is locked in for two years, at $47.4 million) is one issue. The tape, which was horrific last year, is another. A third less-talked-about problem is the growing reputation Wentz has of not reacting well to hard coaching. All of which is why the Eagles’ initial asking price—the return the Lions got for Matthew Stafford—was enough of a non-starter for some teams to drop out of the running altogether. Ultimately, I think GM Howie Roseman’s goal, in asking for so much, was to come away with a 1 and something else. At this point, I don’t think he gets a first-rounder for Wentz at all, without some strings (maybe a salary dump or picks going back) attached. Which, if you look at what we were saying when Wentz was benched in December, isn’t all that surprising. This is just who Wentz is as a quarterback right now. And the proof is there in that the teams that know him best, the Bears (John DeFilippo) and Colts (Frank Reich, Press Taylor, Mike Groh) haven’t put together a strong enough offer to get Philly to jump. My guess is he lands in Chicago, and that’d be good for him. DeFilippo played the bad cop in Philly for Wentz over the quarterback’s first two years in the league, and going there would force Wentz to confront the lingering hard-coaching question head on. (Indy would be good for him, too, for a lot of obvious reasons.)
If my team were looking for a QB I would prefer they took a shot at Darnold over Wentz.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Wentz to the Colts for two draft picks (3rd round in 2021 and a 2nd round in 2022 that could become a 1st round pick).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 pm Wentz to the Colts for two draft picks (3rd round in 2021 and a 2nd round in 2022 that could become a 1st round pick).
Win, win for the Colts. Don't give up much for a gamble at QB. Eagles also take a 33.5 million dead-cap hit, largest ever.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:23 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 pm Wentz to the Colts for two draft picks (3rd round in 2021 and a 2nd round in 2022 that could become a 1st round pick).
Win, win for the Colts. Don't give up much for a gamble at QB. Eagles also take a 33.5 million dead-cap hit, largest ever.
Predict what the Colts get from Wentz ...
1) Return to all-star QB
b) Continued poor play, locker room outcast & snowflake diva attitude
* Somewhere in between
IV) Pee in the butt
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:23 am

Predict what the Colts get from Wentz ...
1) Return to all-star QB
b) Continued poor play, locker room outcast & snowflake diva attitude
* Somewhere in between
IV) Pee in the butt
It doesn't hurt that Indy has an O-Line and coaches that helped Wentz during his best season.