2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

Post by GannonFan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:00 am Why would the umpires have it out for the Yankees? According to Joe, all of the league's assholes play for the Rays - you would think the assholes would be the ones not getting the calls. Very puzzling.
I bet the umps are scared of the Rays, given how mean they are. The Yankees are probably just too nice for their own good then. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:25 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:00 am Why would the umpires have it out for the Yankees? According to Joe, all of the league's assholes play for the Rays - you would think the assholes would be the ones not getting the calls. Very puzzling.
I bet the umps are scared of the Rays, given how mean they are. The Yankees are probably just too nice for their own good then. :rofl:
:nod: You're right.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Mike Brosseau - the undrafted, free agent pauper hits the game winning home run against the Yankees $85 million closer. The same thug ass closer who threw a 101 MPH fastball at said pauper's head less than a month ago. It's almost poetic.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 pm Mike Brosseau - the undrafted, free agent pauper hits the game winning home run against the Yankees $85 million closer. The same thug ass closer who threw a 101 MPH fastball at said pauper's head less than a month ago. It's almost poetic.

Yea, after the Karens' classless thugs threw at LeMahieu's head for two straight years -- and again in the top of the 8th of that game. There's nothing poetic about it at all. Enjoy the silly ride with seven-inning games, gift runners, and ridiculous post-season scheduling intended to give the poor a chance this season. The Yankees were ten games better than the Rays the last time they played actual baseball, and that will be proven out again over a 162-game season. Good luck getting more innings out of your bullpen than your starters over 162 games.

Who would have guessed that the Astros would be the sentimental rooting favorite in this year's so-called "ALCS"?
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

That's funny, Joe. You seemed pretty happy about this unusual playoff circumstance when the Yankees were winning. Glad to see that you're still with us after your blue blood Yankees got bested by a bunch of no name "Karens".

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JoltinJoe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:57 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 pm Mike Brosseau - the undrafted, free agent pauper hits the game winning home run against the Yankees $85 million closer. The same thug ass closer who threw a 101 MPH fastball at said pauper's head less than a month ago. It's almost poetic.

Yea, after the Karens' classless thugs threw at LeMahieu's head for two straight years -- and again in the top of the 8th of that game. There's nothing poetic about it at all. Enjoy the silly ride with seven-inning games, gift runners, and ridiculous post-season scheduling intended to give the poor a chance this season. The Yankees were ten games better than the Rays the last time they played actual baseball, and that will be proven out again over a 162-game season. Good luck getting more innings out of your bullpen than your starters over 162 games.

Who would have guessed that the Astros would be the sentimental rooting favorite in this year's so-called "ALCS"?
It's still an ALCS with or without the Yankees. I hope you didn't use these excuses in 1981, when the Dodgers beat the Yankees in the series. Strike shortened season.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:18 am That's funny, Joe. You seemed pretty happy about this unusual playoff circumstance when the Yankees were winning. Glad to see that you're still with us after your blue blood Yankees got bested by a bunch of no name "Karens".

Good luck in the "ALCS."

For the "ALCS," I hear they're going to add the "tagging any base" rule; play 7-inning doubleheaders every day so no team will have a front-line starter available to pitch a decisive 7th game on normal rest; and let the teams hit out of their hands if the games are tied after seven innings.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:18 am That's funny, Joe. You seemed pretty happy about this unusual playoff circumstance when the Yankees were winning. Glad to see that you're still with us after your blue blood Yankees got bested by a bunch of no name "Karens".

Good luck in the "ALCS."

For the "ALCS," I hear they're going to add the "tagging any base" rule; play 7-inning doubleheaders every day so no team will have a front-line starter available to pitch a decisive 7th game on normal rest; and let the teams hit out of their hands if the games are tied after seven innings.
I don't think I have ever seen such bitterness over a baseball team losing.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:03 am
JoltinJoe wrote:
Good luck in the "ALCS."

When they actually play baseball this year, let me know.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:52 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:57 am

It's still an ALCS with or without the Yankees. I hope you didn't use these excuses in 1981, when the Dodgers beat the Yankees in the series. Strike shortened season.
A championship baseball season is 162 games. Period.

In 1981 and 1995, they made the best of a bad situation, but they at least they didn't alter the game of baseball and turn it into a farce.

This year was a farce.

The only positive thing I can see coming out of these 2020 exhibition innings (you can't really call them games) is that baseball will, sooner than it might have otherwise, go to the robo strike zone,
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:03 am
JoltinJoe wrote:
Good luck in the "ALCS."

Maybe I've been wrong about the Rays.

I just saw they gave CJ Buckner a series share and game ball. What a bunch of generous guys.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Joe - earlier in this thread you argued that the only reason the Rays beat the Yankees was because the Yankees had injuries. The Yankees were healthy for the playoffs, and they lost to the Rays. Then you try to argue that the unusual rules during the season was the cause of the "Bombers" downfall. Those rules were not in place during the playoffs.

The bottom line is that the Yankees lacked pitching depth. That would have been even more exposed over the course of a 162 game season. This special circumstance actually worked in the Yankee's favor, so stop your whining.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JoltinJoe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:11 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:52 am

A championship baseball season is 162 games. Period.

In 1981 and 1995, they made the best of a bad situation, but they at least they didn't alter the game of baseball and turn it into a farce.

This year was a farce.

The only positive thing I can see coming out of these 2020 exhibition innings (you can't really call them games) is that baseball will, sooner than it might have otherwise, go to the robo strike zone,
This season was better than nothing, and we still have 2 playoff rounds to go. I enjoy a game just about anytime, from Spring Training, to youth, to townball,, to minor leages, to the world series. It's a great game, no need to diminish it.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 am Joe - earlier in this thread you argued that the only reason the Rays beat the Yankees was because the Yankees had injuries. The Yankees were healthy for the playoffs, and they lost to the Rays. Then you try to argue that the unusual rules during the season was the cause of the "Bombers" downfall. Those rules were not in place during the playoffs.

The bottom line is that the Yankees lacked pitching depth. That would have been even more exposed over the course of a 162 game season. This special circumstance actually worked in the Yankee's favor, so stop your whining.

The things you say make no sense. Yankees lacked pitching depth? Wow.

You know what? Go to StatCast or Baseball Savant and take at a look at the report for the series.

Take a look at the StatCast for games 2 and 3, and the obvious disparity in ball/strike calls. Not so hard to win when you can take strikes and have them called balls; or throw balls and have them call strikes. It's right there in black and white. You can't even make a case that the umping was not skewed and biased. You raved about the 18 Ks in Game #2. Yea, CB Buckner was really dealing in Game 2.

Take a look at where Chapman's 0-2 pitch to Brosseau was. That's strike 3. It's right there in the report. Classified in the report as a missed call. Any part of the ball touching any part of the box is a strike.

The only thing that this series did was make it inevitable that the Robo Ump is on the way in 2022 or even 2021 if MLB can get the umps to sign off on it before the next contract.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 2.45.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 2.45.16 PM.png (34.96 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Last edited by JoltinJoe on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 am Joe - earlier in this thread you argued that the only reason the Rays beat the Yankees was because the Yankees had injuries. The Yankees were healthy for the playoffs, and they lost to the Rays. Then you try to argue that the unusual rules during the season was the cause of the "Bombers" downfall. Those rules were not in place during the playoffs.

You know what? Go to StatCast or Baseball Savant and take at a look at the report for the series.

Take a look at the StatCast for games 2 and 3, and the obvious disparity in ball/strike calls. Not so hard to win when you can take strikes and have them called balls; or throw balls and have them call strikes. It's right there in black and white. You can't even make a case that the umping was not skewed and biased. You raved about the 18 Ks in Game #2. Yea, CJ Buckner was really dealing in Game 2.

Take a look at where Chapman's 0-2 pitch to Brosseau was. That's strike 3. It's right there in the report. Classified in the report as a missed call. Any part of the ball touching any part of the box is a strike.

The only thing that this series did was make it inevitable that the Robo Ump is on the way in 2022 or even 2021 if MLB can get the umps to sign off on it before the next contract.
Yes! The Yankees lacked pitching depth. Absolutely true.

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Except that Paxton was hurt. He would have started Game 2.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Yankee fans when they lose.

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am Yankee fans when they lose.

:lol: :lol:
Don't lump me in that category. :tothehand: I haven't been making excuses and I haven't been bad mouthing the Rays. The Rays won the round and the Yankees didn't. I'm just pointing to the fact that they were without their #2 starter in September and the playoffs when you said they were "healthy". They were without their #4 starter (German) all year but I don't consider that a big deal. They were also without Tommy Kahnle in the bullpen but that factored more during the season and not the playoffs.

I'm not a Rays hater. Ryan Yarbrough and Matt Quatraro (bench coach) are Old Dominion alums. :mrgreen:
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

CAA Flagship wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am Yankee fans when they lose.

Image Image
Don't lump me in that category. :tothehand: I haven't been making excuses and I haven't been bad mouthing the Rays. The Rays won the round and the Yankees didn't. I'm just pointing to the fact that they were without their #2 starter in September and the playoffs when you said they were "healthy". They were without their #4 starter (German) all year but I don't consider that a big deal. They were also without Tommy Kahnle in the bullpen but that factored more during the season and not the playoffs.

I'm not a Rays hater. Ryan Yarbrough and Matt Quatraro (bench coach) are Old Dominion alums. :mrgreen:
There's not a team that is 100% healthy and the Yankees are as healthy as anyone. The Rays are missing several arms in the pen.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JoltinJoe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am

Take a look at the StatCast for games 2 and 3, and the obvious disparity in ball/strike calls. Not so hard to win when you can take strikes and have them called balls; or throw balls and have them call strikes. It's right there in black and white. You can't even make a case that the umping was not skewed and biased. You raved about the 18 Ks in Game #2. Yea, CB Buckner was really dealing in Game 2.

Blaming umpires....last act of a desperate man.... :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Does Altuve have the yips?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:16 am Does Altuve have the yips?
:nod: Ala Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblach.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am

Yes, the umps sucked and were biased. The TBS announcers knew it. MLB knows it. In fact, reporters I know who cover MLB say that MLB is alarmed with the live Twitter feeds during the games; and that Yankee fans discussed on Twitter, in droves, that they are not watching any more post-season baseball as a protest. Not an idle threat. Ratings for Rays/Astros are awful. Chris Cuomo and Don Lemon, usually the prime-time caboose by a wide amount, are outperforming baseball.This is terrible for MLB and the network, because ad rates are fixed on a high/low basis, with the ultimate amount fixed, after the fact, according to the ratings. Basically, when it comes to making a difference in ratings, we are the biggest fan base in the game, and MLB's only world-wide fan base. We are making MLB pay for screwing us.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JoltinJoe wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:02 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 pm

Yes, the umps sucked and were biased. The TBS announcers knew it. MLB knows it. In fact, reporters I know who cover MLB say that MLB is alarmed with the live Twitter feeds during the games; and that Yankee fans discussed on Twitter, in droves, that they are not watching any more post-season baseball as a protest. Not an idle threat. Ratings for Rays/Astros are awful. Chris Cuomo and Don Lemon, usually the prime-time caboose by a wide amount, are outperforming baseball.This is terrible for MLB and the network, because ad rates are fixed on a high/low basis, with the ultimate amount fixed, after the fact, according to the ratings. Basically, when it comes to making a difference in ratings, we are the biggest fan base in the game, and MLB's only world-wide fan base. We are making MLB pay for screwing us.
Uh, Yankee fans only watch Yankees games. There's a reason why they're not watching the rest of the playoffs - just like every year in the past decade, the Yankees are at home watching others play. You guys are basically the Phillies right now with better ancient history and more recent history of performance-enhancing drug abuse. But please, continue to post, it's fantastic entertainment. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation