Sports Memorabilia

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Sports Memorabilia

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sports Card Investor video.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Heading to the largest show in America Friday. Bummer, going to miss the Punting legend Danny White on Saturday.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Dallas Show was good, easy in and out off of HWY 75.

Some of the better items I found, were a 1961 Complete Post Cereal Box with cards on the back, 1961 Yankees Photos from Manny's Baseball Land including Mantle, Maris and Ford, 1969 Fleer Foolish Stamps full box with 24 unopen packs, 2 uncut 1984 Nestle 132 card Sheets that included Don Mattingly and Darryl Strawberry Rookies. One vender had 5 - 1952 Mickey Mantle cards, graded between 1 and 3.5. PSA 10 copies are predicted to bring $25 million each on the open market, if they are ever sold.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:35 pm Dallas Show was good, easy in and out off of HWY 75.

Some of the better items I found, were a 1961 Complete Post Cereal Box with cards on the back, 1961 Yankees Photos from Manny's Baseball Land including Mantle, Maris and Ford, 1969 Fleer Foolish Stamps full box with 24 unopen packs, 2 uncut 1984 Nestle 132 card Sheets that included Don Mattingly and Darryl Strawberry Rookies. One vender had 5 - 1952 Mickey Mantle cards, graded between 1 and 3.5. PSA 10 copies are predicted to bring $25 million each on the open market, if they are ever sold.
Sounds like a fun time.

When looking at the unopened card packs. Are they worth more unopened or do you open them up and see what cards are inside?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:16 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:35 pm Dallas Show was good, easy in and out off of HWY 75.

Sounds like a fun time.

When looking at the unopened card packs. Are they worth more unopened or do you open them up and see what cards are inside?
For vintage cards, you can open them and try your luck. Sometimes they are damaged from gum. You can get the entire box sealed by a company called BBCE. They will confirm the box has never been tampered with. You can send each pack to PSA and have them graded and slabbed. Amazingly, this dealer, 80+ years old, and had purchased the boxes for his store in 1969. He is bringing another to the next Dallas show, but I won't be there. Might just put them on the shelf a home for a couple years and see how the market goes. Planning on being in Fargo for the show March 26th.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:14 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:16 am

Sounds like a fun time.

For vintage cards, you can open them and try your luck. Sometimes they are damaged from gum. You can get the entire box sealed by a company called BBCE. They will confirm the box has never been tampered with. You can send each pack to PSA and have them graded and slabbed. Amazingly, this dealer, 80+ years old, and had purchased the boxes for his store in 1969. He is bringing another to the next Dallas show, but I won't be there. Might just put them on the shelf a home for a couple years and see how the market goes. Planning on being in Fargo for the show March 26th.
Interesting. Was always curious about the sealed cards and what made them valuable.

And I just might be around on the 26th. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:33 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:14 am

Interesting. Was always curious about the sealed cards and what made them valuable.

I'm negotiating on 1980 & 86 Topps football boxes and 1981 and 1982 Golf boxes this week. They are in Dallas. 1986 could have Jerry Rice rookies, and goes for $2000 raw, and $4000 authenticated per box. These are all raw.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:28 pm

I'm negotiating on 1980 & 86 Topps football boxes and 1981 and 1982 Golf boxes this week. They are in Dallas. 1986 could have Jerry Rice rookies, and goes for $2000 raw, and $4000 authenticated per box. These are all raw.
Are you more interested in football or baseball? I've got about 15,000 baseball cards, including unopened complete set boxes from most of the early '80's years....what would those be worth?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Are you more interested in football or baseball? I've got about 15,000 baseball cards, including unopened complete set boxes from most of the early '80's years....what would those be worth?
I like all sports. Could be good, as long as there isn't too much of the junk era stuff. Text or message me a list.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Deal is done. He's delivering to the antique show in Minnesota in a month.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:22 pm

when you say "raw", you mean potentially opened?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:21 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:22 pm

when you say "raw", you mean potentially opened?
Raw is not sealed by a third-party service, BBCE (Baseball Card Exchange). If they seal it, there is a high percentage that it hasn't been tampered with. Some shady people will open packs, take the stars out, and reseal the packs. BBCE examines the box and packs to determine if they have been tampered with. Boxes with BBCE wrap go for a lot more money than raw boxes, cases or sets. 1986 Football Box for example with BBCE wrap $4300, raw $2300.

BBCE Shrink Wrapped

Box bottom
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Unreal. Well I've got several sets that have never been opened. Not by me, and not by anyone else. They've been stored in a bin in my attic for the past 35 years. But they're not "BBCE" certified....
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Looks like you might be able to get that new flooring your wife wants. :D

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:24 pm Unreal. Well I've got several sets that have never been opened. Not by me, and not by anyone else. They've been stored in a bin in my attic for the past 35 years. But they're not "BBCE" certified....
Factory seal is good too. Sealed and depends on the set, you could have a key year. The 1986 football is key, because of Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Reggie White rookies. The 1980 box is worth 1/8 of the 1986 box, less rookie star power with Phil Simms. Send me a list when you dig them out of the attic.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:24 pm Unreal. Well I've got several sets that have never been opened. Not by me, and not by anyone else. They've been stored in a bin in my attic for the past 35 years. But they're not "BBCE" certified....
The best baseball sets in the early 1980's are 1980 Topps (Rickey Henderson), 1982 Topps (Cal Ripken Jr), 1982 Topps Traded (Cal Ripken Jr), 1983 Topps (Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg & Wade Boggs), 1984 Fleer Update (Kirby Puckett), 1989 Upper Deck (Griffey)
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I can watch my buddy Al Rosen (RIP), tell this story over and over. Went on a couple buying trips with him in the 1990's and did see a few Mickey Mantles on those trips.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:04 am
Factory seal is good too. Sealed and depends on the set, you could have a key year. The 1986 football is key, because of Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Reggie White rookies. The 1980 box is worth 1/8 of the 1986 box, less rookie star power with Phil Simms. Send me a list when you dig them out of the attic.
I will. We'll be moving in the next 90 days, so hopefully I'll get to them sooner rather than later. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Montana vs UCLA football program from Ebay, played at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, with Jackie Robinson and Kenny Washington on the UCLA team.

Griz vs Bruins Link

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

So what do I doe with a day off. Buy more stuff. Mostly store model bats, but there are Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Rogers Hornsby, Bill Terry, Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Johnny Bench and more in this pile, and a few gloves in the white bag below.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

sweet jesus. were you required to buy all or none?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:06 am sweet jesus. were you required to buy all or none?
Pretty much all or none.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Missoula Card Show

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:10 am No all sports related, but autograph related. Bought a box of 50 autographs at the Mt Dora antique extravaganza for $25. Just sent 20 to PSA DNA for authentication. Names like Bobby Jones (golfer), Al Jolson, Michael Caine, Clarence Thomas, General Westmoreland, Gary Player, OJ Simpson, Robert Stack. Pretty sure most will pass, my biggest concern is Bobby Jones, is it real or secretarial. Something to look forward to receiving in the new year.
Update on this?
:thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:35 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:10 am No all sports related, but autograph related. Bought a box of 50 autographs at the Mt Dora antique extravaganza for $25. Just sent 20 to PSA DNA for authentication. Names like Bobby Jones (golfer), Al Jolson, Michael Caine, Clarence Thomas, General Westmoreland, Gary Player, OJ Simpson, Robert Stack. Pretty sure most will pass, my biggest concern is Bobby Jones, is it real or secretarial. Something to look forward to receiving in the new year.
Update on this?
Still waiting for PSA to authenticate. In research and ID status. My oldest order at PSA was sent in September 2020. Like Christmas every time I get something back.