US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Re: US SOCCER

Post by Rob Iola »

Grizalltheway wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: First, so what? The defense would adjust.
But it needs to be a stationary line similar to hockey. The refs suck at visually establishing a moving line at a time when a ball is kicked that could be as far away as 30 or 40 yards away. How can anyone expect a ref to get that right? And how many times do you see the refs get it wrong? It's a bad rule. Just strike a line about 20 yards in front of the goal and make a rule that the offense can't go inside of that line unless the ball goes in first. Done. :clap:
The ref doesn't make the call, linesmen on either side of the field do. Yeah, it can be tough to make close calls, but what sport doesn't have similar situations? Like calling balls and strikes is an exact science? :roll:

The defense would adjust? Yeah, and O-lineman would adjust if the defense could jump across the line whenever they wanted, but the game would suck.

If you don't like the sport, then don't watch it. They aren't going to change it to suit your tastes. :coffee:
Technically the AR signals it but it's the CR who calls it - in some cases they wave it off...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Rob Iola wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
The ref doesn't make the call, linesmen on either side of the field do. Yeah, it can be tough to make close calls, but what sport doesn't have similar situations? Like calling balls and strikes is an exact science? :roll:

The defense would adjust? Yeah, and O-lineman would adjust if the defense could jump across the line whenever they wanted, but the game would suck.

If you don't like the sport, then don't watch it. They aren't going to change it to suit your tastes. :coffee:
Technically the AR signals it but it's the CR who calls it - in some cases they wave it off...
Right. Similar to tennis, the linesmen/people/kids make the initial call, but the ump (or Hawkeye) have the final say.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:Right, eliminate the offside rule so players can just sit in front of the opposing goal, and wait for the ball to come to them. Brilliant.
First, so what? The defense would adjust.
But it needs to be a stationary line similar to hockey. The refs suck at visually establishing a moving line at a time when a ball is kicked that could be as far away as 30 or 40 yards away. How can anyone expect a ref to get that right? And how many times do you see the refs get it wrong? It's a bad rule. Just strike a line about 20 yards in front of the goal and make a rule that the offense can't go inside of that line unless the ball goes in first. Done. :clap:
I don't know if this has been done, but I would like to see some games played with no offsides, just to see what the game would look like.
EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

Post by EPJr »

They're Jamming
High times in Jamaica as Reggae Boyz take 2-1 win over US

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/20 ... commentary

Did You Catch That?
DeRo, Canada catch Panama on quick restart for huge victory

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/20 ... -pan/recap
EPJr
Level2
Level2

Post by EPJr »

Relief for US after beating Jamaica, closer to Hexagonal
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... -hexagonal

Canada's sterling defense finally falters in loss at Panama, DeRo hurt
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... oss-panama
Last edited by EPJr on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3

Post by Rob Iola »

Luv how we get the lead and then sub out all our effective midfielders...
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Rob Iola wrote:Luv how we get the lead and then sub out all our effective midfielders...
We completely dominated until we scored, then we sat back. 33 minutes is a long time to sit back, we we're lucky that we didn't give up a goal.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Is it just me, or has this team gone completely in the wrong direction since Klinnsman took over?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:Is it just me, or has this team gone completely in the wrong direction since Klinnsman took over?
Probably just you - I don't think they are terribly different than they were before - we win some games we shouldn't win, we lose some games we shouldn't lose, and sometimes we are just plain boring to watch. Typical USA Soccer if you ask me.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
MSUDuo
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Missouri State University

Post by MSUDuo »

Grizalltheway wrote:Is it just me, or has this team gone completely in the wrong direction since Klinnsman took over?
It's you. Look at where we were the year before Klinsman took over and we're we are at now. He doesn't have his full roster available and we're doing just fine. It's tough to win on the road
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3

Post by Rob Iola »

We're a different team entirely without Michael Bradley in the midfield, that's for sure. No Donovan and a poorly conditioned Dempsey also seriously hamstrings the team.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Under Klinsmann we've had wins on the road vs. Italy and Mexico and a pretty impressive home win (5-1) vs. Scotland. I just don't see us getting results like that with Bradley at the helm. Klinsmann has put a lot of experimental teams on the field, and I think that accounts for some of the less stellar results. Overall, I like Klinsmann and am happy to have him with US Soccer.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

I guess I still have a sour taste in my mouth from his stint at Bayern, but I suppose coaching national teams is a different animal than club jobs. Also completely spaced the win at Mexico. :x
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Maybe it's just because we have NFL, NCAAF and MLB playoffs going on, but apparently nobody has noticed the US has a must tie/win game tonight to be assured a spot in the next round of WC qualifying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a US loss combined with a Jamaica win by 3 goals and the US doesn't even make the finals of the CONCACAF stage. :shock:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:Maybe it's just because we have NFL, NCAAF and MLB playoffs going on, but apparently nobody has noticed the US has a must tie/win game tonight to be assured a spot in the next round of WC qualifying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a US loss combined with a Jamaica win by 3 goals and the US doesn't even make the finals of the CONCACAF stage. :shock:
Plenty of people have noticed, but it's not like this board is full of soccer followers. Yes, they need to tie or win tonight agaisnt Guatamala (game is on ESPN2 tonight) or if they lose, not have Jamaica make up a 3 goal difference versus the US, in order to make it to the hexagonal (the final 6 team round robin from which 2 teams will automatically qualify for the World Cup in 2014 and the 3rd place team will qualify for a playoff against some other region for a spot). Shouldn't be too worried, as they tied Guatamala on the road and that was an upset of sorts. Now it's in the US, and Guatamala only needs a tie to also move on to the next round. It's very likely Guatamala's going to put 5 people on the back line and just pack it in.

With that said, the US has been decidedly disappointing so far, even by the low standards for the US. They got lucky on Saturday to get 3 points from the Antigua & Barbados game and we lost in Jamaica this year. Klinsmann is certainly on the hot seat to show that he's making a difference, a positive one, and it's just not showing yet.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Plenty of people have noticed, but it's not like this board is full of soccer followers.
Had I not hovered over the "Soccer" tab on ESPN this morning, I wouldn't have known.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Plenty of people have noticed, but it's not like this board is full of soccer followers.
Had I not hovered over the "Soccer" tab on ESPN this morning, I wouldn't have known.
I never really pegged you for a Soccer enthusiast.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Had I not hovered over the "Soccer" tab on ESPN this morning, I wouldn't have known.
Enthusiast, no. But I've missed very few US WC games including qualifiers, so for me to not even realize there was a game tonight... I consider myself to be a good barometer for the average fan.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Enthusiast, no. But I've missed very few US WC games including qualifiers, so for me to not even realize there was a game tonight... I consider myself to be a good barometer for the average fan.
Did you know that they played on Saturday (or Friday, can't remember which)? TV coverage of US soccer has always played into it getting lost at times. I think beIN tv had the broadcast rights this past weekend - although they hold the rights to the Spanish League and other good soccer, they aren't in many homes yet. Word is they may make a run at the English Premeir League deal this time around and if they win it, I would suppose many cable providers would add them as a result.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Did you know that they played on Saturday (or Friday, can't remember which)? TV coverage of US soccer has always played into it getting lost at times. I think beIN tv had the broadcast rights this past weekend
No. :?

Again, maybe it's the time of the year, maybe it's a result of the poor result in the last WC. As great as the tie to England was, a round of 16 exit sucked the life out of the interest in the national team. Seems like MLS is doing well though.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Did you know that they played on Saturday (or Friday, can't remember which)? TV coverage of US soccer has always played into it getting lost at times. I think beIN tv had the broadcast rights this past weekend
No. :?

Again, maybe it's the time of the year, maybe it's a result of the poor result in the last WC. As great as the tie to England was, a round of 16 exit sucked the life out of the interest in the national team. Seems like MLS is doing well though.
Truth be told, most people barely watch at this point in the qualification because it's unheard of for the US not to advance to the final round (the hexagonal). This is only the second time in the past 5 World Cup qualifications that the US isn't assured advancement to the next round before the last game is played. It would've been more interesting had they needed a win here, but a tie (and even a loss and Jamaica not scoring enough) gets them through. More people will pay attention in the next round when people traditionally pay more attention. Get past the next round and you're in the World Cup.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Truth be told, most people barely watch at this point in the qualification because it's unheard of for the US not to advance to the World Cup
FIFY for this generation of fans. When was the last time they didn't make it? 1986?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Truth be told, most people barely watch at this point in the qualification because it's unheard of for the US not to advance to the World Cup
FIFY for this generation of fans. When was the last time they didn't make it? 1986?
I agree, and yes, 1986 was the last time the US didn't make the World Cup. Of course, that was the tail end of a 40 year gap from 1950 to 1990 when the US didn't make the World Cup, but they've made the past 6 (and 5 of them they had to qualify for - they hosted in '94 so didn't have to make that one) so not making one would be disastrous.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

That was the worst piece of defending and goalkeeping I've ever seen by the US.

edit: Dempsey-Bocanegra equalize it quickly!!!

edit: Great game by Dempsey so far!!!
EPJr
Level2
Level2

Post by EPJr »

Hexagonal set: Costa Rica, Jamaica join USA & Mexico

And then there were six. With Tuesday's results in the books, the participants of CONCACAF's final round of 2014 World Cup qualifying — a.k.a. "The Hexagonal" — are set.

Joining the United States in the Hex are Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico and Panama. The US got the job done with a 3-1 win over Guatemala, who were leapfrogged by Jamaica after the Reggae Boyz' 4-1 victory over Antigua and Barbuda in Kingston.

Format

The fourth round will see the 3 group winners and 3 group runners-up from the third round compete in a single group of 6 teams. This stage is often referred to as the Hexagonal or Hex, and has been used by CONCACAF to determine its World Cup finals entrants since the qualification tournament for the 1998 FIFA World Cup.

The matches are scheduled to be played from 6 February to 15 October 2013. The top three teams will advance to the World Cup finals tournament in Brazil, and the fourth-placed team will advance to a play-off against the winner of the Oceania qualifiers.