US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: US SOCCER

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:51 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:02 pm
If you’re not a USC, you‘re not an American. Nothing technical about it.
If you moved to (insert your country here), and spent a decade, or 2, or 3, or more there, and didn‘t become a citizen of (insert your country here) would you be a (insert your Country here)? No
Like I said, just a technical point on your part. I remember dating a girl in high school, both her parents were UK citizens but they've lived here in the US for going on 40-50 years. They're more American than some people born here. We're a big country, room for lots of different types. :thumb:
My SIL is British. Been in the US for going on 25 years. Not a USC. Not an American.

If you moved to say Germany amd lived there for several decades, but retained your US Citizenship, and didn’t become a German citizen, would you be a German?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Euro 2020 has been thoroughly enjoyable so far. Great win by the Swiss and heck of a comeback by my Croatian brothers against Spain.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:50 pm Euro 2020 has been thoroughly enjoyable so far. Great win by the Swiss and heck of a comeback by my Croatian brothers against Spain.
Yesterday was crazy, tons of goals, fairly wide open play. Heck, even the Italy/Austria game the day before was relatively wide open for an Italian game, I thought Austria was the better side for much of the game.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Not sure if anyone is following the Gold Cup, but US is in the semifinals and plays Qatar (Asian Champion) on Thursday.

US offense hasn't looked particularly great against good competition, but they've only allowed one goal in four games this tournament. Qatar will be the toughest offense they've faced though, having scored 12 goals so far (most in the tournament).
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:30 am Not sure if anyone is following the Gold Cup, but US is in the semifinals and plays Qatar (Asian Champion) on Thursday.

US offense hasn't looked particularly great against good competition, but they've only allowed one goal in four games this tournament. Qatar will be the toughest offense they've faced though, having scored 12 goals so far (most in the tournament).
I noticed Qatar was in the tournament a couple of weeks ago. Isn't Gold Cup a CONCACAF tournament?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

The Gold Cup typically has an invited guest, usually from CONMEBOL (no one outside of CONCACAF has ever won but Brazil and Colombia have been to the finals twice and once, respectively).

Qatar will again be the guest in 2023 because of the main sponsorship deal the Gold Cup has with Qatar Airways.

Copa America has invited guests too, just not this year citing the pandemic. Japan and Qatar played in it in 2019, and it will expand to six invited guests in 2024.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:01 am The Gold Cup typically has an invited guest, usually from CONMEBOL (no one outside of CONCACAF has ever won but Brazil and Colombia have been to the finals twice and once, respectively).

Qatar will again be the guest in 2023 because of the main sponsorship deal the Gold Cup has with Qatar Airways.

Copa America has invited guests too, just not this year citing the pandemic. Japan and Qatar played in it in 2019, and it will expand to six invited guests in 2024.
Good info. I assumed it had to do with Qatar hosting the WC.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:59 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:01 am The Gold Cup typically has an invited guest, usually from CONMEBOL (no one outside of CONCACAF has ever won but Brazil and Colombia have been to the finals twice and once, respectively).

Good info. I assumed it had to do with Qatar hosting the WC.
In a way, it does. Heading into the World Cup, Qatar has been investing in its soccer program and trying to get it exposure and as many competitive matches that it can. They weren't very good beforehand and now Qatar are the Asian champs.

As mentioned prior, the Qatari gov't has also put up sponsorship money into the Gold Cup and Copa America, which got the teams in as the invited guests. Even though they're automatic qualifiers to the 2022 World Cup, they're also "part" of Group A in the UEFA qualifying. However results against Qatar don't count for the European teams. Qatar struck a deal with UEFA to be part of Group A in order to prepare for the World Cup, and so far they're 2-0-1 against the competition (W Luxembourg, W Azerbaijan, D Ireland)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:14 am

On the first note, you're arguing a technicality - you don't need to be a USC to live in the US. So sure, they may not technically be Americans, but the point being that they are long term residents in America doesn't change.

And second, the fact that there are so many Cowboys fans who have never set foot in Texas is just indicative that people can and do have team allegiances that you would call "turrible". Heck, think of the fact that there are still international teams from Puerto Rico even though all Puerto Ricans are technically American citizens. People's nationalistic allegiances, especially in sports, aren't as clear as you would like them to be.
If you moved to (insert your country here), and spent a decade, or 2, or 3, or more there, and didn‘t become a citizen of (insert your country here) would you be a (insert your Country here)? No
Well, since they are from North America (Mexicans), Central America (Salvos, etc) or South America I think they can call themselves Americans and not a damn thing you can do about it.
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:41 pm
Well, since they are from North America (Mexicans), Central America (Salvos, etc) or South America I think they can call themselves Americans and not a damn thing you can do about it.
For once, I agree with BBJ (and, not for once, Ganny). BDK, you just don’t like Mexicans. If Hispanics pay good ‘Murican money to cheer on Mexico against the US in US stadium, I don’t give a rat’s arse. If you nativists want to pack the stadium with US flags, go for it. If you’d rather stay at home and drink Natty Lite, good for you.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

When you introduce yourself to others do you say, “Hi, I’m dbackjon, I’m from North America.” :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:19 pm

For once, I agree with BBJ (and, not for once, Ganny). BDK, you just don’t like Mexicans. If Hispanics pay good ‘Murican money to cheer on Mexico against the US in US stadium, I don’t give a rat’s arse. If you nativists want to pack the stadium with US flags, go for it. If you’d rather stay at home and drink Natty Lite, good for you.
Try to keep up old man. My post was back on 6/23.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:59 pm

Well, sometimes I put your posts on the back burner. Where most of them belong.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 am
Careful on responding to those old posts. Somebody might mistake you for houndawg! :-P
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:40 am
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 am

Careful on responding to those old posts. Somebody might mistake you for houndawg! :-P
:shocking: :yikes:

Great point, Fiver! Dawg cruises around the farm in his ‘94 Ford Ranger pickup, picking up cow pies, and then circles back to fire off a few stale zingers.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Oh, who gives a fuck how old the post is?! Only you care about that.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Anyone watch USA vs Jamaica? I try to enjoy soccer but 90 minutes for a 1-0 win or worst..a TIE...tries what little patience I have for the sport.

But LilCCU likes it so we watch.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

that was the American B team as an FYI...we took Nations League seriously (beat Mexico and Honduras) and will do the same with WC qualifying. We are resting our guys for qualifying right now. Smaller countries are taking Gold Cup seriously but we are not though in the Semis of Gold Cup with guys we are developing.

Next important games are are Sept 2, 5 and 8 @El Salvador, vs. Canada, @ Honduras
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

tribe_pride wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:50 am that was the American B team as an FYI
I'm not sure it's even the B team.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:53 am
Do you randomly repond to month+ old posts out of the blue, just to try to get into a pissing contest with someone?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:53 am Oh, who gives a fuck how old the post is?! Only you care about that.
Do you randomly repond to month+ old posts out of the blue, just to try to get into a pissing contest with someone?
I’m sorry - you didn’t respond in time to my post. Please try again later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 pm

When you introduce yourself to others do you say, “Hi, I’m dbackjon, I’m from North America.” :rofl:
I don't need an introduction :coffee:
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:45 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:53 am

Works for Houndy!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:53 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Do you randomly repond to month+ old posts out of the blue, just to try to get into a pissing contest with someone?
I’m sorry - you didn’t respond in time to my post. Please try again later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
36.93 hrs is well within the acceptable range.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

0-0 at the half, but the Asian champs have been dominant so far. The Maroon are simply missing their chances.

The US needs to figure something out 'cause at this rate, Qatar is bound to break through.