US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: US SOCCER

Post by 89Hen »

Anyone remember when US soccer was a thing?
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

89Hen wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:49 am Anyone remember when US soccer was a thing?
The team that the US will send to Qatar in 2022 will be the most talented side ever to represent the US in international competition. It is going to be stacked with young talent.

By 2026, that talent will be mature and ready to give a tough match to any side in the world.

The USMNT will be successful in Qatar, and will have one of the deepest runs in squad history in 2026.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:33 am The team that the US will send to Qatar in 2022 will be the most talented side ever to represent the US in international competition. It is going to be stacked with young talent.

By 2026, that talent will be mature and ready to give a tough match to any side in the world.

The USMNT will be successful in Qatar, and will have one of the deepest runs in squad history in 2026.
How 1992 of you.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:43 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:33 am The team that the US will send to Qatar in 2022 will be the most talented side ever to represent the US in international competition. It is going to be stacked with young talent.

How 1992 of you.
Did you personally know some of those guys from that '92 team? Your propensity to prop up an admittedly scrappy but relatively underwhelming US side lacks any real logic other than trying to protect a friend or family member. JJ's right, the US is in a position they've never been in so far - they're sitting on a slew of young and really talented players who are getting unheard of playing time in Europe on top teams (they have an unheard of 10 players playing with teams still alive in UEFA's Champions League) , and they are at an age where they won't even start entering their prime international soccer years until these next two World Cups. Whether they get the dominos to fall properly is another question, but you can't deny the unrivaled position they are in right now compared to anything in their history.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:31 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:43 am

How 1992 of you.
Did you personally know some of those guys from that '92 team? Your propensity to prop up an admittedly scrappy but relatively underwhelming US side lacks any real logic other than trying to protect a friend or family member. JJ's right, the US is in a position they've never been in so far - they're sitting on a slew of young and really talented players who are getting unheard of playing time in Europe on top teams (they have an unheard of 10 players playing with teams still alive in UEFA's Champions League) , and they are at an age where they won't even start entering their prime international soccer years until these next two World Cups. Whether they get the dominos to fall properly is another question, but you can't deny the unrivaled position they are in right now compared to anything in their history.
:suspicious: I can't tell if you seriously don't understand the reference. We've talked about this before. We were told in 1992 how the US was poised to take the next step and become a serious player by hosting in 94, having a stable of talent coming in that would elevate the program and soccer in general, etc... Fool me once....

IF the US does become a serious world player, great! But I'm going to wait until 2030+ to believe it.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

What would they need to achieve to become a "serious world player"?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 pm What would they need to achieve to become a "serious world player"?
Off the top of my head, WC semifinal appearance and another quarter or better in consecutive (or 2 of 3) WC's and stay in the top 10-12 world rankings for several years (5+). I'm open for discussion on better metrics, and I'm sure you will find some countries like England that don't meet these, but they have the history the US does not.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 am

:suspicious: I can't tell if you seriously don't understand the reference. We've talked about this before. We were told in 1992 how the US was poised to take the next step and become a serious player by hosting in 94, having a stable of talent coming in that would elevate the program and soccer in general, etc... Fool me once....

IF the US does become a serious world player, great! But I'm going to wait until 2030+ to believe it.
Agreed. I'll wait to get excited about US soccer when they prove it on the field.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Agreed. I'll wait to get excited about US soccer when they prove it on the field.
I regularly watch soccer and fully agree with this sentiment. Until they prove it on the field, I will take all the "hype" with a grain of salt.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 pm What would they need to achieve to become a "serious world player"?
Off the top of my head, WC semifinal appearance and another quarter or better in consecutive (or 2 of 3) WC's and stay in the top 10-12 world rankings for several years (5+). I'm open for discussion on better metrics, and I'm sure you will find some countries like England that don't meet these, but they have the history the US does not.
Pretty tough metrics.

France and Belgium are the only ones that qualify if you look at the last two World Cups.
2 out of 3 is probably better: France, Belgium, England, Germany, Brazil, Uruguay, Netherlands, and Argentina.

Germany, Netherlands, Argentina, Uruguay, and England are eliminated based on the 5 year FIFA ranking, though.

France, Brazil, and Belgium are your only "serious world player[s]".

Honestly, I think making just making a semifinal is sufficient. Even an outlier like Croatia gets quite a bit of credibility and validation from getting to the semis. JMO. Making the quarters two World Cups in a row would also be pretty damn successful for the US.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 pm
89Hen wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 pm

France and Belgium are the only ones that qualify if you look at the last two World Cups.
2 out of 3 is probably better: France, Belgium, England, Germany, Brazil, Uruguay, Netherlands, and Argentina.

Germany, Netherlands, Argentina, Uruguay, and England are eliminated based on the 5 year FIFA ranking, though.

France, Brazil, and Belgium are your only "serious world player[s]".

Will be tough to equal. US won't do it. I agree. Carry on.
:lol: Gee, it wasn't too transparent where you going with that leading question.

You asked what the US would have to do. Not what another country that has years and years and years of good results has to do. All those countries you named are serious world players. Germany spent 12 straight years in the top SIX. Argentina hasn't been out of the top 11 since 1996. England has an average position rank of 10 all time and has only been outside the top 12 four years in the last 20 (three of those at 13). Like I said, I'm open for discussion on the numbers I threw out. Maybe it need to be top 15. And I never said they have to stay there in perpetuity.

Countries you didn't name that meet the 5 year FIFA recently.. Portugal (2004-present and Semis 2006), Croatia (2007-12 and 2nd in WC 2018), Switzerland (2012-19)... They are serious world players too (maybe not the Swiss).

How would you define a "serious world player"?
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

I understand the reference and your skepticism. But the 1994 US World Cup roster had one player, Tab Ramos, playing with a First Division European club. The US side that will go to Qatar will be loaded with young players logging serious playing time in the European top flights and in International play. There is no comparison in the talent level of the '94 and 2022 teams.

Take a look at the player and the clubs on this projection for the 2022 roster. Also note that the 2022 WC will be played in Qatar in winter, but temperatures will still run somewhere between 85-90 degrees. Young legs that recover faster and don't cramp as easily could be a big factor in this WC.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-stat ... 2-in-qatar
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JoltinJoe wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm There is no comparison in the talent level of the '94 and 2022 teams.
Great! So we are pretty much assured a quarterfinal appearance. I'll be watching all the games as I always do. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:48 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm There is no comparison in the talent level of the '94 and 2022 teams.
Great! So we are pretty much assured a quarterfinal appearance. I'll be watching all the games as I always do. :thumb:
I think we're assured that the '22 team is a far better team than the '94 one was. After that it comes down to normal World Cup concerns - who's in the group we get drawn with, who would be there in the Round of 16 if we get out of the group, etc. This isn't like '94 when it was just a 24 team tournament and a 1 win, 3rd place team could advance out of the group (you had four of the six 3rd place teams advance out back then).
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:16 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:48 am

I think we're assured that the '22 team is a far better team than the '94 one was. After that it comes down to normal World Cup concerns - who's in the group we get drawn with, who would be there in the Round of 16 if we get out of the group, etc. This isn't like '94 when it was just a 24 team tournament and a 1 win, 3rd place team could advance out of the group (you had four of the six 3rd place teams advance out back then).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:21 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:16 am

I think they're called details. I didn't hear you volunteering that the '94 team finished 3rd in their group, just you saying getting into the quarterfinals was necessary to do better than that team. If I was cynical I would think you already knew that information and didn't offer it up since it undercut your point. No way you would do that though, amirite? :?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:27 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:21 am

I think they're called details. I didn't hear you volunteering that the '94 team finished 3rd in their group, just you saying getting into the quarterfinals was necessary to do better than that team. If I was cynical I would think you already knew that information and didn't offer it up since it undercut your point. No way you would do that though, amirite? :?
I don't think you're right at all. I've never propped up the '94 team and I've never said they should be the measuring stick. In fact, my point was that US soccer was a huge disappointment after the promises that were made in 1992.

It's pretty clear you don't understand what we're discussing. Let me try one last time to explain. We were promised that soccer in the US and USMNT were poised to become a world player in 1992. That claim was proved to be false. So when I hear folks say we are poised to become a world player once again, you can hopefully see why I'm reserving judgement on that.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

How important is Sunday's game to this discussion? Yes, I know it's the U23 team, but that IS the future of the USMNT. IF the US were to lose to Honduras, that would be a huge blow. A win... that's what should be expected.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:02 am How important is Sunday's game to this discussion? Yes, I know it's the U23 team, but that IS the future of the USMNT. IF the US were to lose to Honduras, that would be a huge blow. A win... that's what should be expected.
Agreed. The big down side is that club teams were not required to release players for this qualifier and US is no where near an A squad for U-23. Mexico had a lot more of its players on Wednesday than we did. Not an excuse just what it is.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:49 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:02 am How important is Sunday's game to this discussion? Yes, I know it's the U23 team, but that IS the future of the USMNT. IF the US were to lose to Honduras, that would be a huge blow. A win... that's what should be expected.
Agreed. The big down side is that club teams were not required to release players for this qualifier and US is no where near an A squad for U-23. Mexico had a lot more of its players on Wednesday than we did. Not an excuse just what it is.
It is important and it isn't. Like you said, this isn't anywhere close to what the A squad would be. Heck, the US friendly versus Jamaica yesterday had at least 7 US players who either started or played in that game that qualify as U-23 (Pulisic is 22, Reyna is 18, Sargent is 21, Cannon is 22, Dest is 20, Musah is 18, Aaronson (sp) is 20) and those are just the ones I readily know. The U-23 team playing in this tournament is a B or C team right now. Granted, depth is important, but if the U23 team qualifies a lot of the guys on the roster now would be bumped for the Olympics by the kids playing on the top-level US team right now. It could be a good thing to get more time together for that sizeable group of young kids who are coming up for the US right now, especially with WC qualifying right around the corner. The guys playing on this U23 team aren't really the future of US soccer, but if they win it would let the real future of US soccer get to play in some Olympic games. That would be fun to see.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I guess my question GF is why the US federation would risk not qualifying out of CONCACAF for ANY event. Meaning, why the hell aren't those players you mentioned in Mexico this week? It's a REALLY bad look if the US doesn't qualify.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:42 am I guess my question GF is why the US federation would risk not qualifying out of CONCACAF for ANY event. Meaning, why the hell aren't those players you mentioned in Mexico this week? It's a REALLY bad look if the US doesn't qualify.
I'm pretty sure, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that those players who are currently playing in Europe (pretty much all of the young talent I mentioned) are blocked by their club teams from travelling back to this side of the pond due to COVID and quarantining requirements. I don't think club teams are obligated to release their players for international duty if doing so would result in those players having to be in quarantine that would extend past the club release window. So they're contractually blocked from playing in the CONCACAF tournament since that would mean travelling from Europe, to Mexico, and then back to Europe and quarantining. It's why the better players, those playing in Europe, are playing friendlies against Jamaica and N. Ireland this week, since those games are happening entirely in Europe. The US federation doesn't have the power to compel the club teams to release these players.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:42 am I guess my question GF is why the US federation would risk not qualifying out of CONCACAF for ANY event. Meaning, why the hell aren't those players you mentioned in Mexico this week? It's a REALLY bad look if the US doesn't qualify.
I'm pretty sure, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that those players who are currently playing in Europe (pretty much all of the young talent I mentioned) are blocked by their club teams from travelling back to this side of the pond due to COVID and quarantining requirements. I don't think club teams are obligated to release their players for international duty if doing so would result in those players having to be in quarantine that would extend past the club release window. So they're contractually blocked from playing in the CONCACAF tournament since that would mean travelling from Europe, to Mexico, and then back to Europe and quarantining. It's why the better players, those playing in Europe, are playing friendlies against Jamaica and N. Ireland this week, since those games are happening entirely in Europe. The US federation doesn't have the power to compel the club teams to release these players.
100% correct
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 pm friendlies against Jamaica and N. Ireland this week, since those games are happening entirely in Europe.
Jamaica is in Europe now? ;)

That would explain it. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:13 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 pm friendlies against Jamaica and N. Ireland this week, since those games are happening entirely in Europe.
Jamaica is in Europe now? ;)

That would explain it. :thumb:
I believe they played the Jamaican team that was made up of Jamaican's playing on European club teams.

As for the U23's, you have to admit that was a real piss-poor effort by that group. They can come up with all the excuses they want (not in-season for US players, no time to get acclimated to the weather, the all-or-nothing semifinal format, etc) but it is embarrassing to lose to Honduras, again, and to not even look like an offensive-minded team any time during this tournament.

On the plus side, the senior team is 8-0-1 in their last 9 games, and while Pulisic was talking about playing in the Olympics, club teams don't have to release players for junior tournaments and the Olympics, while nice and shiny, is still a junior tournament. The odds of the wealth of young kids playing for the senior team now being allowed to play in the Olympics were pretty slim, if at all. If the men's side is to make any noise and live up to the tremendous promise people are throwing their way now, the venue for that is the World Cup. Qualifying starts later this year. Stop losing to the Honduras's and Trinidad's of the world, qualify for Qatar without any drama, and win some elimination rounds there. We have to wait until the winter of 2022 to see if that happens, but start with some no-doubt-about-it wins in qualifying.