US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Re: US SOCCER

Post by tribe_pride »

Pepi is making a play to get paid out in Europe

Canada with impressive performances tying @ US and @ Mexico so far.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Nice loss to Panama
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:07 am Nice loss to Panama
That's what happens when you put out a C team in a World Cup qualifier. For a guy who's come real close already to being fired, Berkhalter has a strange knack for trying to get right back to the edge of that abyss. Starting lineup last night didn't feature anyone who starred in the Jamaica game, or really for that matter, anytime during qualification so far. Aaronson didn't come on until the second half, Pepi got in the game but late (and still had one of the best chances), and Dest sat on the bench. When you're already short-handed without Pulisic and Reyna and when you can't play certain players because they're UK based and wouldn't be able to quarantine, you can't tie your hands even further, yet that's what Berkhalter did last night. As a result, Panama will be very much in this for some time to come with those very needed 3 points. Costa Rica, at home, is certainly a must win game on Wednesday. Hopefully Berkhalter realizes that too.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

Nice goal by Dest yesterday to save Berhalter's job.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:48 am Nice goal by Dest yesterday to save Berhalter's job.
Berhalter is not going anywhere until he puts the team into grave danger of not making the World Cup, so I don't see one game doing it yet. He's not a particularly good coach, but all he has to do is play his best players and he'll be fine. It's when you get all creative and try to pass off a "C" team through a World Cup qualifier that you get in trouble.

US looked good throughout the game, and were dangerous in the offensive end throughout. Getting the right players in is always the best thing. Certainly would be nice to get Pulisic and Reyna back. I think Pulisic has the danger of becoming soccer's version of Eric Lindros - great player, but just can't stay healthy. Still, plenty of depth on this team, and the average age of the starting lineup against Costa Rica was just over 22 y/o - hopefully just keep getting better.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

How important is the game Friday? Obviously the only thing that matters is finishing in the top 3, so we probably won't know for a while if it's really important. My guess is a 1-0 or 2-1 loss, which will be blown off as nothing.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:47 pm How important is the game Friday? Obviously the only thing that matters is finishing in the top 3, so we probably won't know for a while if it's really important. My guess is a 1-0 or 2-1 loss, which will be blown off as nothing.
Nah, you can't lose at home. The game's in Cincinnati, so they've pulled out all the stops to try to have a pro-US crowd. Reyna won't be there, but he's likely out for awhile so you can't bank on him anyway. Pulisic will probably play this game and not the following game at Jamaica. And hopefully Berhalter realizes what his lineup should be and not get complacent with "we have so much depth" and not play his best lineup. Anything less than a draw is not a good result. And even a draw wouldn't be great, you'd need to win on the road in Jamaica on Tuesday just to make the draw even palatable. This hasn't been an overwhelming Mexico team, they've pull out some wins late in games, even at home. Two wins here in November puts the US in the drivers seat and almost guarantees finishing top 3 (which ultimately is the only thing that matters, yes). All I can say is they better play Aaronson a lot in these two games. :thumb:
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

Dos a cero.

Another slow start to the game but much better last 15 of the first half. Pulisic proved he still is good despite recovering in the small amount of time he played.

Only downside was sucks that we are short McKennie and Robinson against Jamaica.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 pm Dos a cero.

Another slow start to the game but much better last 15 of the first half. Pulisic proved he still is good despite recovering in the small amount of time he played.

Only downside was sucks that we are short McKennie and Robinson against Jamaica.
Agreed, would be good having those two guys in Jamaica. Panama coming back from two down late in their game means you have 4 teams chasing the automatic 3 spots. Mexico has a tough trip here as they have a road game against Canada in a few days. I'm not sure Pulisic even makes the trip to Jamaica, not sure if that country is on the UK's COVID containment list or not (i.e. he'd have to quarantine for 10-14 days coming back into the UK). Gotta keep playing the type of lineup he had last night - Aaronson seeing lots of time is important, I thought Weah looked threatening every time he got the ball on the wing. Both Robinson's were good (only one will play against Jamaica obviously). Road game, so I guess the target is a draw, but a win here with no other games this calendar year would be a good send-off into the second half of qualifying, when hopefully you get guys like Reyna back. Team looks great, though, lots of youth and that should translate into a good extended run of success in the years ahead.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Did any Mexican fans throw ziplock bags of piss at US players? Other than the Puto chant, that's my favorite thing they do.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 pm Did any Mexican fans throw ziplock bags of piss at US players? Other than the Puto chant, that's my favorite thing they do.
Very few Mexicanos at the game. One of the most pro-USA crowds I've seen in this series. Cincy brought it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:22 am
93henfan wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 pm Did any Mexican fans throw ziplock bags of piss at US players? Other than the Puto chant, that's my favorite thing they do.
Very few Mexicanos at the game. One of the most pro-USA crowds I've seen in this series. Cincy brought it.
Was an impressive venue actually, great environment. Compared with the El Salvador videos from the same night, I don't think El Salvador is allowing spectators and besides, their place looks like a soccer field from a penitentiary.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:22 am Very few Mexicanos at the game. One of the most pro-USA crowds I've seen in this series. Cincy brought it.
Was an impressive venue actually, great environment. Compared with the El Salvador videos from the same night, I don't think El Salvador is allowing spectators and besides, their place looks like a soccer field from a penitentiary.
I’ve been to a few matches in that stadium in San Salvador. It is an… interesting venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:47 pm
GannonFan wrote:
I’ve been to a few matches in that stadium in San Salvador. It is an… interesting venue.

Watch a few of the African qualifiers.

Talk about rough looking.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:13 am
tribe_pride wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 pm Dos a cero.

Agreed, would be good having those two guys in Jamaica. Panama coming back from two down late in their game means you have 4 teams chasing the automatic 3 spots. Mexico has a tough trip here as they have a road game against Canada in a few days. I'm not sure Pulisic even makes the trip to Jamaica, not sure if that country is on the UK's COVID containment list or not (i.e. he'd have to quarantine for 10-14 days coming back into the UK). Gotta keep playing the type of lineup he had last night - Aaronson seeing lots of time is important, I thought Weah looked threatening every time he got the ball on the wing. Both Robinson's were good (only one will play against Jamaica obviously). Road game, so I guess the target is a draw, but a win here with no other games this calendar year would be a good send-off into the second half of qualifying, when hopefully you get guys like Reyna back. Team looks great, though, lots of youth and that should translate into a good extended run of success in the years ahead.
It's always fun watching USA beat Mexico...even better when it's dos a cero. :lol: :clap:

Saw the highlights...lots of um....speed on the team. :thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

clenz wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve been to a few matches in that stadium in San Salvador. It is an… interesting venue.

Watch a few of the African qualifiers.

Talk about rough looking.
I’ve watched Nigeria in Lagos, but that stadium is surprisingly decent (I believe Mr. Dangote has a hand in it but not sure)

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

Interesting day yesterday.

US-Jamaica tied at 1 on an insane goal by Jamaica that no keeper will save. Let down after Mexico match

Speaking of Mexico, they are coming out of the November swing with 0 points losing to Canada 2-1 in a match that looked very feisty the last 5 minutes of match/post match

Panama pulled another come from behind victory

So for 3.5 spots the standings are with 8 matches down and 6 to go
1 - Canada 16 pts
2 - US 15 pts
3 - Mexico 14 pts on goal differential
4 - Panama 14 pts
5 - Costa Rica 9 points then others.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:56 am Interesting day yesterday.

US-Jamaica tied at 1 on an insane goal by Jamaica that no keeper will save. Let down after Mexico match

Speaking of Mexico, they are coming out of the November swing with 0 points losing to Canada 2-1 in a match that looked very feisty the last 5 minutes of match/post match

Panama pulled another come from behind victory

So for 3.5 spots the standings are with 8 matches down and 6 to go
1 - Canada 16 pts
2 - US 15 pts
3 - Mexico 14 pts on goal differential
4 - Panama 14 pts
5 - Costa Rica 9 points then others.
Letting Panama hang around hasn't been good for the US. Mexico now has their two hardest road games out of the way (US and Canada) but they've been lucky to win the games they have won so far, lots of late game goals. Mexico has the easiest schedule left, no more Canada, on the road only two more times, and they get Panama and USA at Azteca. Canada is on the road for 4 more games, and they end the qualifying at Panama. USA is balanced with 3 home and 3 away left, but 2 tricky road games at Canada and at Mexico. Do get Panama at home in March. Panama does still have a tough road - at Mexico and USA and that end home game against Canada. Needless to say, the US needs all 9 points from the home games left (two are against bottom dwellers El Salvador and Honduras). 3 games in March so I'm sure nothing will be settled until then. :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:15 am tricky road games at Canada...
Isn't that like playing in Minnesota?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:15 am tricky road games at Canada...
Isn't that like playing in Minnesota?
I'm not sure if they're playing this one in Edmonton. They made Mexico play there yesterday, got pretty cold. You'd think the US would be fine in the cold venues, but also remember most of these guys are either playing in Europe or in MLS and not playing in Minnesota every game. Canada will probably be better ready for it, but even then they have several players based in Europe now so it's a little bit of a hardship on them too. As far as I know, though, Canadians don't throw bags of urine at opposing players.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Am I to understand that the USMNT will be playing Canada on January 30 in Hamilton at an outdoor stadium? WFT??? I guess I assumed the game would be in the spring or indoors.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:40 am Am I to understand that the USMNT will be playing Canada on January 30 in Hamilton at an outdoor stadium? WFT??? I guess I assumed the game would be in the spring or indoors.

Hamilton is almost as far south and as balmy as Canada can get at that time of year. At some point Canada has to play home games and they can't all be outside of the November-March window. Thing is, Canada is actually good now - I'm not sure that's ever been the case.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

US got their win last night 1-0 over El Salvador while Canada beat out Honduras 2-0 and Mexico came back in the final 10 minutes with 2 goals to beat Jamaica so Canada remains 1 we are 2 and Mexico is 3 (3 auto qualifiers for CONCACAF with a 4th in a playoff). Good news was Panama finally lost to fall 4 points behind us for the 4th spot.

Big games over the next 5 days. US-Canada on Sunday with Mexico hosting Costa Rica (2 points behind Panama) the same day and US against Honduras and Mexico hosting Panama on Wednesday. Would be nice (I hate to say) to have Mexico sweep Panama and Costa Rica. We better beat Honduras - a tie versus Canada is also acceptable since it is there though a win would be great.

3 matches left after next week in qualifying.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Yeah, results yesterday were fine for the US as Panama lost. Mexico continues to fall behind and then roar back to win these games (other than the game against the US obviously). Would be great to get a point at Canada, but at least need the 3 for sure at home next week. US still has to go to Mexico in that last group of games, and they get Panama at home in that last group as well. Still looking pretty good at this moment.