Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Re: Hey, DJH....

Post by Brock Landers »

I missed the last two pages of this thread. Still, .800+ isn't too shabby for the price tag I guess
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:[You are comparing apples and oranges, my friend. Stephen Drew is a free agent after this year and is working the 2nd year of a 2 year, $13.5 million contract. That works out to $6.75 million/year. This year he's making $7.75 million. Chris Young is in the 4th year of a 5 year, $28 million contract, or $5.6 million/year. This year he's making $7 million.

Oh, and lets talk about "out" clauses. D-Backs have a $1.35 mil buyout option on Drew's $10 million 2013 contract. They have a $1.5 mil buyout option on Youngs $11 million 2013 contract. In other words, for $2.85 million, the D-Backs will rid themselves of the two albatross contracts you are comparing to Mauers.

On the other hand, the Twins are obligated to Joe Mauer for the jaw-dropping amount of $23 MILLION EVERY YEAR for the next SIX years. Oh, and Mauer's $23 million is actually 35% of the Twinkies salary in 2012. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

So, keep digging.
Twins salaries are near Mauer's contract difference between the Twins and D-Backs, approx 20 million. Mauer is a big draw in Minnesota, take him away and start counting empty seats, take Young and Drew away and there is not much difference in empty seats. That Idaho math is not working for you today. 23 Million out of 94 million is 24%.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:[You are comparing apples and oranges, my friend. Stephen Drew is a free agent after this year and is working the 2nd year of a 2 year, $13.5 million contract. That works out to $6.75 million/year. This year he's making $7.75 million. Chris Young is in the 4th year of a 5 year, $28 million contract, or $5.6 million/year. This year he's making $7 million.

Oh, and lets talk about "out" clauses. D-Backs have a $1.35 mil buyout option on Drew's $10 million 2013 contract. They have a $1.5 mil buyout option on Youngs $11 million 2013 contract. In other words, for $2.85 million, the D-Backs will rid themselves of the two albatross contracts you are comparing to Mauers.

On the other hand, the Twins are obligated to Joe Mauer for the jaw-dropping amount of $23 MILLION EVERY YEAR for the next SIX years. Oh, and Mauer's $23 million is actually 35% of the Twinkies salary in 2012. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

So, keep digging.

Twins salaries are near Mauer's contract difference between the Twins and D-Backs, approx 20 million. Mauer is a big draw in Minnesota, take him away and start counting empty seats, take Young and Drew away and there is not much difference in empty seats. That Idaho math is not working for you today. 23 Million out of 94 million is 24%.
Ouch. So Twins fans would rather head to the ballpark to see one player get 3 to 4 at-bats a game and play catcher/1B over seeing an all-around competitive team challenge for a pennant or at the least play entertaining baseball? :shock: :ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:

So, keep digging.
We've already had the "attendance" discussion. DJH lost that one. Keep digging.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Seahawks08
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by Seahawks08 »

All these contracts are atrocious! There's even talk about Michael Bourn (30 years old) getting $16 million per year for 4 to five years. The twins should seriously consider trading Mauer to the yankees at some point for some minor league pitchers. They need to get that contract out of there if they intend to contend anytime soon.
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
What??? Are you senile, old man? You got pwned hard on that topic. :tothehand:
UNI FIGHT
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote:
Ouch. So Twins fans would rather head to the ballpark to see one player get 3 to 4 at-bats a game and play catcher/1B over seeing an all-around competitive team challenge for a pennant or at the least play entertaining baseball? :shock: :ohno:
In a previous response, I mentioned that fans would like to see a winner first, Mauer 2nd. Half the Twins jersey's you see around the Twin Cities are Mauer souvenir Jersey's. The Twins have been playing fairly well lately, sweeping the Red Sox and 5 out of 6 against Cleveland. That 0-5 against the White Sox hurt. 2 bad years under a bad GM after a lot of good years won't keep the fans away. The return of Terry Ryan has had an affect already. They are weeding out the bad deals, Nishioka is being given his last chance, and looks like he is headed back to Japan soon. I'm not a Twins fan, but as a Tigers fan living in Minnesota, I get more Twins news than Tigers, and this is how it looks to me.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
What??? Are you senile, old man? You got pwned hard on that topic. :tothehand:
Really? They're coming out to see the pretty new PARK, man, not a punch-and-judy-hitting catcher making $23 million. THAT has been clearly established. When the shine wears off that park, attendance will tumble. :nod: :nod: :nod: Ask Cleveland, Baltimore, the Mets, Detroit, Cincinnati or any other team that opened a new ballpark but sucked as a franchise. Minnesota ain't the Chicago Cubs...
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The stadium is now 3 years old....the "lure" of a new stadium is gone.

Why aren't the Marlins averaging better, if it's all about a new park?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:The stadium is now 3 years old....the "lure" of a new stadium is gone.

Because their owners are stupid. You have ONE example. I have 15. You lose. Move on. :kisswink:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
clenz wrote:The stadium is now 3 years old....the "lure" of a new stadium is gone.

Because their owners are stupid. You have ONE example. I have 15. You lose. Move on. :kisswink:
Twins new stadium is okay and in a bad location. Tickets are easy to get, and they still get good crowds. The Twins, Yankees, Dodgers have some of the easiest collectible items to sell on ebay. These fans consistantly pay more for their teams memorabilia than any others in MLB.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Report: Joe Mauer placed on trade waivers

Link
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Report: Twins attendance down 15%. Joe Mauer blamed.

On a positive note. Joe got to double digits in HR's for only the 2nd time in his career.
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

Mauer's having a fantastic season, yet again. As expected, AZ got pwned hard in this thread.

To top it off, Lyle "the great bambino" Overbay has been a worthless POS.
UNI FIGHT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:Mauer's having a fantastic season, yet again. As expected, AZ got pwned hard in this thread.

To top it off, Lyle "the great bambino" Overbay has been a worthless POS.
Man. Twinkies fans have a lame definition of "fantastic".

Twins attendance down 15%. And down 30% from it's peak....in other words.....the bloom is off the rose. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mauer currently at 10 HR 83 RBI and .323 Average
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:Mauer currently at 10 HR 83 RBI and .323 Average
Miguel Montero 15 HR 88 RBI .290 AVE, 43% caught stealing (Mauer @ 11% this year), $3.5 million salary.

Twins are paying an extra $20 million a year for a slap-hitting hometown boy with less power.

Congrats... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Miguel Montero 15 HR 88 RBI .290 AVE, 43% caught stealing (Mauer @ 11% this year), $3.5 million salary.

Twins are paying an extra $20 million a year for a slap-hitting hometown boy with less power.

Mauer does have more Hits, doubles, triples, stolen bases, BB and less K's, with higher Slugging, On Base Percentage and OPS than Montero. On the defensive side Montero has 9 errors, Mauer 3.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Mauer does have more Hits, doubles, triples, stolen bases, BB and less K's, with higher Slugging, On Base Percentage and OPS than Montero. On the defensive side Montero has 9 errors, Mauer 3.
He also has 70 more at bats because he plays 1B when he's not behind the plate. So, 32 hits, 6 of those doubles, 2 of those triples, 8 SB, 13 walks, .006 SLG, .020 OBS and .022 OPS....THAT'S what $20 million extra buys you?
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

AZGrizFan wrote:

You are a fucking retard.
UNI FIGHT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

And you are a fucking homer. Head buried so far up your ass you can see your tonsils. :dunce: :dunce:
Seahawks08
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by Seahawks08 »

Mauer has actually earned his paycheck this season. With a near 5 WAR, he's roughly worth about $22 mil. I still think they should trade him and use the money on a plethora of players (especially pitching) to enhance their team. Also, trade Morneau just to get salary relief.
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

AZGrizFan wrote:
DJH wrote:

And you are a fucking homer. Head buried so far up your ass you can see your tonsils. :dunce: :dunce:
LOL, you think I have MY head up my ass, yet you are the one that thinks fucking Lyle Overbay and Miguel Montero are better than Joe Mauer? :lmao:
UNI FIGHT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
LOL, you think I have MY head up my ass, yet you are the one that thinks fucking Lyle Overbay and Miguel Montero are better than Joe Mauer? :lmao:
For the money, yep.

Oh, and BTW: Stellar year by the Twinkies this year. Keep your chin up though...looks like they'll just avoid losing 100 games....again....barely.

Oh, and attendance? Down 15% from last year. Good luck with that. Folks can only buy so many Mauer jerseys to pay the $23mil in salary.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: For the money, yep.

Oh, and BTW: Stellar year by the Twinkies this year. Keep your chin up though...looks like they'll just avoid losing 100 games....again....barely.

Oh, and attendance? Down 15% from last year. Good luck with that. Folks can only buy so many Mauer jerseys to pay the $23mil in salary.
On the sports memorabilia market, Mauer is one of the most popular players. Throw a Mauer autograph online and it usually sells. Not many players are that sure of a sale in today's market. Not many veteran players in higher demand except maybe Jeter & Pujols.