2023 MLB Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

2023 MLB Season

Post by SuperHornet »

Just thought I'd get this thing started.

UMPIRE'S REVENGE

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2023 MLB Season

Post by Gil Dobie »

Correa changes course, signs with Mets.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:52 am Correa changes course, signs with Mets.
Mets payroll, after applying the luxury tax, will be in the area of $500M. That's a lot of money to spend to not even make the World Series. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Correa signs with Twins.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Scott Rolen elected to the Hall of Fame.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:47 pm Scott Rolen elected to the Hall of Fame.
At no time during Scott Rolen's career did I ever say "wow, that guy's a Hall of Famer right there". Not a shining moment for the HOF or the voters.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Adding on to that, Rolen played 17 years in the majors. In those 17 seasons, he only received votes for the NL MVP in 4 of those 17 years, and only finished anywhere close (4th) one time. In the other 13 seasons of his career, there wasn't a single vote for him to be MVP. And in most years there are at least 20 players, in each league, who get votes. So in most years, Rolen was just a good player compared to his peers. Now he's suddenly a HOF'er. He truly is a player who got better once he retired. :roll:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:06 am Adding on to that, Rolen played 17 years in the majors. In those 17 seasons, he only received votes for the NL MVP in 4 of those 17 years, and only finished anywhere close (4th) one time. In the other 13 seasons of his career, there wasn't a single vote for him to be MVP. And in most years there are at least 20 players, in each league, who get votes. So in most years, Rolen was just a good player compared to his peers. Now he's suddenly a HOF'er. He truly is a player who got better once he retired. :roll:
Agreed. It's a complete disgrace that a journeyman like Rolen is in, while the Hit King is still out.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:06 am Adding on to that, Rolen played 17 years in the majors. In those 17 seasons, he only received votes for the NL MVP in 4 of those 17 years, and only finished anywhere close (4th) one time. In the other 13 seasons of his career, there wasn't a single vote for him to be MVP. And in most years there are at least 20 players, in each league, who get votes. So in most years, Rolen was just a good player compared to his peers. Now he's suddenly a HOF'er. He truly is a player who got better once he retired. :roll:
Billy Wagner got 68% if the votes. WAR for Rolen puts him at #10 all time at 3B. That appears to be the most important stat for todays media. Wagner is 14 all time in reliever WAR, and played in NY, and #6 in saves. Probably get in.

WAR, good God you all, what is it good for, absolutely nothing. - Edwin Starr
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:53 am
Billy Wagner got 68% if the votes. WAR for Rolen puts him at #10 all time at 3B. That appears to be the most important stat for todays media. Wagner is 14 all time in reliever WAR, and played in NY, and #6 in saves. Probably get in.

The floodgates should be open now. Every marginal player now will point to Rolen and say "heck, if he got in, why not me?".
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:26 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:53 am

The floodgates should be open now. Every marginal player now will point to Rolen and say "heck, if he got in, why not me?".
Already a shit load of marginal players in the Hall. You even have media saying Andruw Jones was a better fielder than Willie Mays.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Trout injured again.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Congratulations to Cincinnati Reds rookie Elly De La Cruz, who stole second, third, AND home on two pitches during the 7th inning today during the Big Red Machine's 8-5 win at Milwaukee today. This is Cincinnati's first straight steal of home since Brandon Phillips pulled it in 2009, and the first BRM steal of second, third, and home since future Philadelphia Eagles head coach Greasy Neale did it in 1919. He was also the first player to steal three bases in one at-bat since Rod Carew in 1969. Amazing!

Incidentally, the play at the plate wasn't even close, and if you were a fan on the third base line, you could see the steal of home coming as soon as the catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher. The pitcher was so p!$$ed off about the first two steals that he was grumbling to himself walking back to the mound, and De La Cruz was staring him down until it was time to go....

https://sports.yahoo.com/cincinnati-roo ... 33478.html

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

...and another Braves pitcher hits the DL. I've lost count now. That currently makes it 8 or 9?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Royce Lewis 2 homers help end Twins 18 game losing streak.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:56 am Royce Lewis 2 homers help end Twins 18 game losing streak.
Helps they weren't playing the Yankees. For a while it seemed liked it wasn't October without the Twins losing to the Yankees.

Phils looked good last night. One down, 12 to go. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:27 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:56 am Royce Lewis 2 homers help end Twins 18 game losing streak.
Helps they weren't playing the Yankees. For a while it seemed liked it wasn't October without the Twins losing to the Yankees.

Phils looked good last night. One down, 12 to go. :thumb:
2-18 never looked so good.
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

Braves will get dumped again in the first round like last year. Said that 2 months ago
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Twins aces are 1-1. Game 4 will be tough with what they have to put on the mound.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Three second-place division teams in the championship series. Lamest playoff, ever. :tothehand:

Either have a best-of-3 divisional semifinal or get rid of the stupid wild card.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:42 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:26 am

Already a shit load of marginal players in the Hall. You even have media saying Andruw Jones was a better fielder than Willie Mays.
He was !
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:12 am Three second-place division teams in the championship series. Lamest playoff, ever. :tothehand:

Either have a best-of-3 divisional semifinal or get rid of the stupid wild card.
Wah Wah. Winning in the postseason is just different than winning in the regular season. If we want to change the playoffs, offer the division winners the option of taking the bye or playing in the wild card round - they can still keep their home field advantage in the divisional round. Let's see how may teams opt to give up the bye.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:45 am
Pwns wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:12 am Three second-place division teams in the championship series. Lamest playoff, ever. :tothehand:

Wah Wah. Winning in the postseason is just different than winning in the regular season. If we want to change the playoffs, offer the division winners the option of taking the bye or playing in the wild card round - they can still keep their home field advantage in the divisional round. Let's see how may teams opt to give up the bye.
Or just eliminate the wild card round all together

Let em play a 7 game series too
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:52 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:42 pm

He was !
My friend that works for the Dodgers, says by the time he played for LA, he was the worst player on the team, maybe ever, his words. That was age 31, same age Mays hit 49 homers, drove in 141 runs, and won another gold glove. Mays would hit 51 homers at 34, and was voted MVP, and another gold glove. Mays would win 3 more gold gloves after that. Jones last gold glove was age 30.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:56 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:45 am

Or just eliminate the wild card round all together

Let em play a 7 game series too
MLB likes more teams playing meaningful games down the stretch. The only way to do that is to have more playoff spots. Just recognize that if you eliminate any number of wild card teams, then you have less interest in baseball overall in July, August, and September once teams are no longer realistically in contention. I know if JoltinJoe was here he'd be saying we should go back to not even having a league championship round and that the regular season NL champ should play the regular season AL champ in a 7 game World Series and that should be the only playoff baseball. It's an opinion, just not a widely shared one. Regardless, everyone knows when Spring Training opens what the playoff format is. Complaining about it only once you get knocked out is pretty weak.