2021 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: 2021 Motorsports Thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

First two races of the season were great, but Algarve is known as a terrible F1 circuit and it showed. Too few passing opportunities all around, and it was an unfortunate return to the circuit last year. Didn't help F1 was having technical issues with the stream/

The next two - Barcelona and Monaco - are also going to be lacking if history holds true (although Mazepin in Monaco may be hilarious).

IMO, the highlight was Schumacher in the garbage Haas car overtaking Latifi and actually placing above someone who finished the race. The fact that he was able to keep pace in the back all day was amazing, and then to actually overtake someone? Impressive.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:03 am First two races of the season were great, but Algarve is known as a terrible F1 circuit and it showed. Too few passing opportunities all around, and it was an unfortunate return to the circuit last year. Didn't help F1 was having technical issues with the stream/

The next two - Barcelona and Monaco - are also going to be lacking if history holds true (although Mazepin in Monaco may be hilarious).

IMO, the highlight was Schumacher in the garbage Haas car overtaking Latifi and actually placing above someone who finished the race. The fact that he was able to keep pace in the back all day was amazing, and then to actually overtake someone? Impressive.
I've already said it in the group text, but I was honestly shocked with Haas' performance. They just flat out suck. Guenter needs to show some results.

I was NOT surprised to see Hamilton come back and win. Hamilton and Merc are unstoppable. When/if Ham leaves next year (and Russel takes his spot), it'll be nice to see some other team/driver consistently in P1. I think that'll be Verstappen. He gives Merc a run for its money.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Don't be too surprised. Haas straight up said they're not investing anything into this year's car, so the engineering team's hands are tied.

They're putting all their resources into developing next year's car with the new rules. This season is basically a practice for the rookies with the hope of being competitive next season.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:35 am Don't be too surprised. Haas straight up said they're not investing anything into this year's car, so the engineering team's hands are tied.

They're putting all their resources into developing next year's car with the new rules. This season is basically a practice for the rookies with the hope of being competitive next season.
Red Bull is in the same boat given that Honda is out.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Red Bull has significantly more money and sponsorship (Haas has two sponsors). Also while Honda is leaving, they wanted to go out with a bang and went all in to develop a new power unit.

I don't like it, but it makes sense Haas with its very limited resources uses them to develop a (hopefully) competitive car for next year's new rules.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:55 am Red Bull has significantly more money and sponsorship (Haas has two sponsors). Also while Honda is leaving, they wanted to go out with a bang and went all in to develop a new power unit.

I don't like it, but it makes sense Haas with its very limited resources uses them to develop a (hopefully) competitive car for next year's new rules.
That's putting it mildly. :lol: Still - Red Bull is having to develop it's own power unit for 2024(2025?) with the new rules. They have the Honda technology, that's a leg up on others - but they still have to figure it out. I'm confident they will. Red Bull has the money.
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:58 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:03 am First two races of the season were great, but Algarve is known as a terrible F1 circuit and it showed. Too few passing opportunities all around, and it was an unfortunate return to the circuit last year. Didn't help F1 was having technical issues with the stream/

I've already said it in the group text, but I was honestly shocked with Haas' performance. They just flat out suck. Guenter needs to show some results.

I was NOT surprised to see Hamilton come back and win. Hamilton and Merc are unstoppable. When/if Ham leaves next year (and Russel takes his spot), it'll be nice to see some other team/driver consistently in P1. I think that'll be Verstappen. He gives Merc a run for its money.
May have to get some Hamilton cards in the inventory. F1 cards are just coming out.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Grosjean will drive the 2019 title-winning Mercedes W10 in a private test day at Paul Ricard on June 29 as well as completing a series of demonstration laps at the French Grand Prix on June 27.

"I want to jump back in an F1 car because it has been my life and I would like to cross the finish line properly when I finish my career in Formula One," he said at the time. "I don't want it to be over on a bad day."

On hearing the quotes, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said he would arrange a test for Grosjean and on Wednesday the team followed through on that promise by announcing the opportunity in France.
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3139 ... cedes-test

Toto is a good guy. :clap: :clap:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:35 am Don't be too surprised. Haas straight up said they're not investing anything into this year's car, so the engineering team's hands are tied.

Or Haas is cutting its losses and is done with F1. I guess time will tell.