JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: March Madness

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 am
JALMOND wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 am Breakdown of the Final Four by conference

American-1 team
Big 12-1 team
Pac-12-1 team :lol:
WCC-1 team

Big 10-0 teams :shock:

Championship will be a team from Texas against a team from the West Coast. :thumb:
yep. No team east of Houston in the final four. When's the last time THAT happened?
They mentioned last night that this is the first Final Four without a team east of the Mississippi.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 am

yep. No team east of Houston in the final four. When's the last time THAT happened?
They mentioned last night that this is the first Final Four without a team east of the Mississippi.
So.....never. Wasn't positive but it was my first thought last night after UCLA's surprise win.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:47 am Well, it was Gonzaga and Baylor all year, and barring a certainly capable Houston team from upsetting Baylor in the Final Four, it looks like it's Gonzaga and Baylor for all the marbles. I like the Zags in that one - this year has all been Gonzaga and then everyone else. Think the Zags finally get the title that they should've had back in the 2017 finals that a terrible second half of officiating denied them then.

Great story in SI this week about John Stockton's Sunday morning basketball games in Spokane, featuring plenty of Gonzaga alums. The more and more you hear about the Gonzaga story, the better it gets. Considering that Coach K is heading towards retirement pretty soon, I think Coach Few is now at the pinnacle of his profession - best program in the country.

(btw, I am a bandwagon jumper, but I jumped the bandwagon 25 years ago with that Santangelo/Frohm/Casey Cavalry team)
It’s tough not to be a Zags fan. My buddies meet for lunch every week at Jack and Dan’s and we get to host their annual golf event.

Always an Eag first but appreciate Few, his humility and what he’s accomplished.
This version is just a joy to watch - tenacious at both ends of the court. Shame they only have two games left, I would love to watch them play more. The tournament has been great, the starters play so much more than they did in the regular season. Still, only losing Suggs and Kispert this year, and they have replacements for them, so no reason why this long run of success won't continue.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I hadn't watched a college basketball game for years. Watched a lot of that UCLA/Gonzaga game. Not buzzer to buzzer. But a lot of it including the last part. That was something else.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Interesting final coming up. Will it finally decide what God thinks of the whole Reformation thing?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:51 pm I hadn't watched a college basketball game for years. Watched a lot of that UCLA/Gonzaga game. Not buzzer to buzzer. But a lot of it including the last part. That was something else.
UCLA was on fire.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:46 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:51 pm I hadn't watched a college basketball game for years. Watched a lot of that UCLA/Gonzaga game. Not buzzer to buzzer. But a lot of it including the last part. That was something else.
UCLA was on fire.
Amazingly, Gonzaga actually shot better from the field (58.7% versus 57.6%) than UCLA did. So even when UCLA was seemingly hitting every shot, Gonzaga was basically answering them every time. It was that someone was keeping up with Gonzaga's epic pace and proficiency that was amazing. I think Baylor can score in bunches too, so they should be able to hang close with Gonzaga - I don't really seeing them stopping Gonzaga, so they'll have to be UCLA-good on the offensive end.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:39 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:46 am

UCLA was on fire.
Amazingly, Gonzaga actually shot better from the field (58.7% versus 57.6%) than UCLA did. So even when UCLA was seemingly hitting every shot, Gonzaga was basically answering them every time. It was that someone was keeping up with Gonzaga's epic pace and proficiency that was amazing. I think Baylor can score in bunches too, so they should be able to hang close with Gonzaga - I don't really seeing them stopping Gonzaga, so they'll have to be UCLA-good on the offensive end.
The difference appeared to be GU layups vs UCLA jumpers. What made the game terrific was neither team played bad.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:39 am

The difference appeared to be GU layups vs UCLA jumpers. What made the game terrific was neither team played bad.
Yeah, WSJ had a nice write-up on Gonzaga in the weekend paper this past weekend. Said they were a unicorn in that the vast majority of their points come within two feet of the basket (layups) in an age where everyone's jacking up more threes. That and the fact that the score at such a fast clip - possessions don't last very long.

Yes, UCLA played almost as perfect as they could play. Heck, even the center was hitting 18ft jumpers, and the Juzang kid, like he's been all tournament, hardly missed. If they can keep him rather than declaring for the draft (Juzang is a sophomore) they could be a good team next year too.