RPI vs. "Regular Polls"

College Hoops discussion
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

RPI vs. "Regular Polls"

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm not sure why (other than possibly straight SOS), but 4-3 UOP is listed #1 in the RPI Poll (per the UOP fan board), yet they just dropped from #123 to #150 in the NET Poll, and are nowhere near getting any votes in the AP Poll or the Coaches Poll, while conference mate Gonzaga is #1 in AP/Coaches Polls and #2 in the NET Poll (where Baylor is #1).

Any reason for this discrepancy? (I COULD have read the post wrong. UOP COULD just be #1 for RPI within the WCC, rather than #1 nationally, but I do think they had the Zags at #8 in the RPI, which wouldn't make any sense if UOP were only #1 in the conference....)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: RPI vs. "Regular Polls"

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Pacific was #1 when they were 4-1, but they aren't #1 now. I'm not sure exactly how the NET rankings work (and what I've read about them makes them sound dubious), but # of quality wins is an important factor. The RPI is based off winning percentages and opponents' winning percentages.