SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Shantay Legens Gone to U Portland

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:04 am

Probably. The better question is why did EWU not do everything it could have to sign him to an extension? Or maybe they did and he wanted to leave anyways?

UP is a step up. They play in a good arena and while the WCC is competitive, his team will have a shot at the NCAA if he can finish 2nd and possibly even 3rd. I'd put the WCC behind the P12 on the west coast from a prestige factor.
i still am not buying it. UP men's basketball has a ways to go before they can be competitive with Pepperdine, let alone the rest of the WCC. UP is very fortunate to get a coach the caliber of Legens and they know it. But many more openings would have come available after the tournament is over, many that are much better than the current situation at UP.

UP is more competitive in other sports in the WCC and that is why they are there. It is not because of the men's basketball program. If Porter could not get them to the level of at least St. Mary's or BYU with all the connections he had, I can't see someone else coming in and turning it around overnight, yet that is what the UP boosters seem to imagine. Some jobs are coaching suicide and the UP job is close to that.
I disagree about UP. Gonzaga, St Mary's, and BYU are the pinnacle of WCC hoops. It took them decades to get where they are. Below them the WCC is wide open, and that is where UP can make it's short term gains. Competing with the top 3 will take years of building the program.

Sure there are probably better places where he could have landed, but he chose UP. If he wanted to be in a conference where his program was competing for the top spot then he would have stayed in the BSC, or lateralled over to a WAC or BW program. The WCC is a huge step up compared to those 3 conferences.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:29 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 am

i still am not buying it. UP men's basketball has a ways to go before they can be competitive with Pepperdine, let alone the rest of the WCC. UP is very fortunate to get a coach the caliber of Legens and they know it. But many more openings would have come available after the tournament is over, many that are much better than the current situation at UP.

UP is more competitive in other sports in the WCC and that is why they are there. It is not because of the men's basketball program. If Porter could not get them to the level of at least St. Mary's or BYU with all the connections he had, I can't see someone else coming in and turning it around overnight, yet that is what the UP boosters seem to imagine. Some jobs are coaching suicide and the UP job is close to that.
I disagree about UP. Gonzaga, St Mary's, and BYU are the pinnacle of WCC hoops. It took them decades to get where they are. Below them the WCC is wide open, and that is where UP can make it's short term gains. Competing with the top 3 will take years of building the program.

Sure there are probably better places where he could have landed, but he chose UP. If he wanted to be in a conference where his program was competing for the top spot then he would have stayed in the BSC, or lateralled over to a WAC or BW program. The WCC is a huge step up compared to those 3 conferences.
Any Big Sky school should expect to beat UP. There are whispers in the city that UP should look at dropping down to the WAC and being a travel partner for Seattle U and maybe they would be more competitive in the WAC. But their other programs do pretty well in the WCC so just to move the men's basketball program doesn't make too much sense.

To claim a win over UP as a win over the WCC is like (recently) claiming a win over Idaho is a win over the Big Sky. :D
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Big Sky Basketball, 2020-21

Post by SDHornet »

Fair enough. I won't argue which crappy teams are crappier. :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Krystkowiak out at Utah.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... ach-larry/

Came a few days ago. Seems there is a lot of interest. Wonder if they will give Rahe a look (or if he is even interested in it).
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:33 pm Krystkowiak out at Utah.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... ach-larry/

Came a few days ago. Seems there is a lot of interest. Wonder if they will give Rahe a look (or if he is even interested in it).
I would think they can do better than Rahe.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

David Riley Promoted to Head Coach @ EWU

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

https://goeags.com/news/2021/3/25/mens- ... coach.aspx

He's apparently Mike Riley's nephew.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:26 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:29 am

Any Big Sky school should expect to beat UP. There are whispers in the city that UP should look at dropping down to the WAC and being a travel partner for Seattle U and maybe they would be more competitive in the WAC. But their other programs do pretty well in the WCC so just to move the men's basketball program doesn't make too much sense.

To claim a win over UP as a win over the WCC is like (recently) claiming a win over Idaho is a win over the Big Sky. :D
That's an interesting idea, JAL. Would the WAC accept a MBB-only associate member? Would the WCC accept such a one-sport-only withdrawal? Maybe BOTH MBB and WBB? An idea worth pondering....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:35 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:26 pm

That's an interesting idea, JAL. Would the WAC accept a MBB-only associate member? Would the WCC accept such a one-sport-only withdrawal? Maybe BOTH MBB and WBB? An idea worth pondering....
The same whispers around the city are that PSU should look to move to the WAC in basketball and be a travel partner for Seattle U (not going to happen). Actually, UP athletics fit well with the WCC demographics. Actually, now that the WAC has got bigger and more football oriented, Seattle U fits better with the WCC demographics.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Both Groves brothers and Davidson have entered the transfer portal.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:01 am Both Groves brothers and Davidson have entered the transfer portal.
2022 just became wide open.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Utah poaches Utah State's basketball coach...

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/3/2 ... nie-bryant

Rahe listed as a possible candidate for the Utah State job. So far he is the only Big Sky coach listed. Last time the USU job was open, both DeCuire and Peery made the initial list.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:01 am Both Groves brothers and Davidson have entered the transfer portal.
Going to Portland?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:35 pm
Going to Portland?
I would guess so. They’re 12 year old brother just signed with the pilots.

There’s now a total of 5 Eagles in the transfer portal.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:01 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:35 pm

Going to Portland?

Tanner is getting interest from a shitload of P5 teams. He aint’ going to Portland.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:30 am
kalm wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:01 am

Tanner is getting interest from a shitload of P5 teams. He aint’ going to Portland.
That was my thought as well. It would be a lateral move at best.

I thought Tanner would get picked up by MWC or higher echelon WCC type team...perhaps a P5, while Jacob goes to PU.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:30 am

That was my thought as well. It would be a lateral move at best.

I thought Tanner would get picked up by MWC or higher echelon WCC type team...perhaps a P5, while Jacob goes to PU.
Tanner has gotten calls from Texas Tech, Kansas, Louisville, etc., etc. He's going P5. You put up 35 on Kansas, you get noticed. :lol: :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

McNeese State announces PSU women's coach Lynn Kennedy as their next head coach.

https://www.kplctv.com/2021/03/30/mcnee ... ead-coach/
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:49 pm McNeese State announces PSU women's coach Lynn Kennedy as their next head coach.

Former PSU MBB coach Heath Schroyer is the AD at McNeese, but this still looks like an odd move from Kennedy's perspective. McNeese hasn't had a winning record in 6 years, and they haven't even won 10 games in 4 years.

The Southland is also an awful WBB conference. They were the worst conference in the nation this year according the RealTimeRPI, and the Southland hasn't ranked higher than the Big Sky since '08-09.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 pm
JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:49 pm McNeese State announces PSU women's coach Lynn Kennedy as their next head coach.

Former PSU MBB coach Heath Schroyer is the AD at McNeese, but this still looks like an odd move from Kennedy's perspective. McNeese hasn't had a winning record in 6 years, and they haven't even won 10 games in 4 years.

The Southland is also an awful WBB conference. They were the worst conference in the nation this year according the RealTimeRPI, and the Southland hasn't ranked higher than the Big Sky since '08-09.
I know. I don't really understand the move either. Even though we underachieved this season, it is still rather odd. I'm pretty sure his job at PSU was not in jeopardy.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

EWU Fires Wendy Schuller

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/ ... l-coach-w/

Schuller was the longest tenured coach in the Big Sky in any of the big 3 sports (20 years), and the second-longest tenured in Big Sky WBB history behind Robin Selvig (38 years total, 34 years in the Big Sky/MWAC). Schuller still had 1 year on her contract, but 6(!) EWU players had entered the transfer portal in the last 3 days before this firing.

Schuller finishes her Big Sky tenure with an overall record of 277-322, and a conference record of 166-169. She was well above .500 in conference play prior to the last 2 seasons, however. Schuller never took EWU to the NCAAs (their only appearance was 1987), but her Eagles did win the regular-season title in 2010 (likely saving Schuller's job at the time) and a WNIT game in 2015.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Kim Aiken & Jack Perry entered the portal, so that's now 14 EWU men's & women's basketball players that are transferring out. :yikes:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:43 pm Kim Aiken & Jack Perry entered the portal, so that's now 14 EWU men's & women's basketball players that are transferring out. :yikes:
they must be certain that program is going D-2.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:43 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:43 pm Kim Aiken & Jack Perry entered the portal, so that's now 14 EWU men's & women's basketball players that are transferring out. :yikes:
I'm not sure that would be legal. Lower division schools can have one "showcase sport" in D-I (think Johns Hopkins in lacrosse), or can be in D-I for sports not covered by their main Division for championship purposes (like bowling), but such a practice is NOT allowed for football or basketball. D-II schools can recruit and scholarship up to D-I limits in those sports, but D-III cannot unless they were in the University Division prior to the split into three Divisions in the late '70s. EWU is too competitive in football for them to even consider such a move....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:58 pm

I'm not sure that would be legal. Lower division schools can have one "showcase sport" in D-I (think Johns Hopkins in lacrosse), or can be in D-I for sports not covered by their main Division for championship purposes (like bowling), but such a practice is NOT allowed for football or basketball. D-II schools can recruit and scholarship up to D-I limits in those sports, but D-III cannot unless they were in the University Division prior to the split into three Divisions in the late '70s. EWU is too competitive in football for them to even consider such a move....
It would be the entire program
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

President reports to the BoT in May. The uncertainty doesn’t help an athlete’s willingness to stay but nothing has been decided yet. Schuller’s firing is more worrisome at the moment.