Big Sky Tournament Thread (2020) - Men

College Hoops discussion
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Re: Big Sky Tournament Thread (2020) - Men

Post by catbooster »

I guess I won't have to figure out a bracket this year. Sad for the seniors that won't get to complete their final seasons.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

catbooster wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:56 am I guess I won't have to figure out a bracket this year. Sad for the seniors that won't get to complete their final seasons.
Coaches and AD's are lobbying for an extra year of eligibility for seniors

The push for an extra year of eligibility
Meanwhile, across America, as the unprecedented news reverberated, gears began to spin. Coaches and athletic directors worked phones. They asked their athletes, across 18 winter sports and 14 spring ones: If the NCAA were to grant outgoing seniors an additional year of eligibility, would you be interested?

On social media, athletes themselves pleaded for another shot. Former pros and Olympic medalists joined the chorus. In interviews, coaches chimed in. Three nights earlier, East Tennessee State’s 30-4 men’s basketball team had qualified for the NCAA tournament. With it now shuttered, head coach Steve Forbes said, “I will make it my mission to fight for another year of eligibility for our five seniors.”

Athletic directors seemed to be on board too. “To our spring sport seniors: In time, we will fight to reinstate your final year of eligibility,” UMass AD Ryan Bamford tweeted.

As the calls crescendoed, Wahrman pulled up Change.org and got to work. She created a petition, then shared it with teammates and friends. It quickly spread to friends of friends and beyond. Across Iowa’s campus, and then across others. It ticked past 1,000 digital signatures, then 5,000, then 10,000. Around 18 hours after its creation, it was at 90,000 and rapidly climbing.

It had begun to feel like a movement. And that evening on ESPN, UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma had given it a prominent voice.
:thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:36 am
catbooster wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:56 am I guess I won't have to figure out a bracket this year. Sad for the seniors that won't get to complete their final seasons.

Meanwhile, across America, as the unprecedented news reverberated, gears began to spin. Coaches and athletic directors worked phones. They asked their athletes, across 18 winter sports and 14 spring ones: If the NCAA were to grant outgoing seniors an additional year of eligibility, would you be interested?

On social media, athletes themselves pleaded for another shot. Former pros and Olympic medalists joined the chorus. In interviews, coaches chimed in. Three nights earlier, East Tennessee State’s 30-4 men’s basketball team had qualified for the NCAA tournament. With it now shuttered, head coach Steve Forbes said, “I will make it my mission to fight for another year of eligibility for our five seniors.”

Athletic directors seemed to be on board too. “To our spring sport seniors: In time, we will fight to reinstate your final year of eligibility,” UMass AD Ryan Bamford tweeted.

As the calls crescendoed, Wahrman pulled up Change.org and got to work. She created a petition, then shared it with teammates and friends. It quickly spread to friends of friends and beyond. Across Iowa’s campus, and then across others. It ticked past 1,000 digital signatures, then 5,000, then 10,000. Around 18 hours after its creation, it was at 90,000 and rapidly climbing.

It had begun to feel like a movement. And that evening on ESPN, UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma had given it a prominent voice.
Makes sense for spring sports (baseball, softball, track, etc.). not sure how this makes sense for hoops. Just a shitty break for them.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

I feel for these seniors that didn't get to participate, but this seems like an emotional plea thrown out there before they thought about the ramifications.

Do you also add how ever many scholarships (and/or roster slots) for the seniors who would be staying? Maybe 2 for this school, 3 for that one, etc? Or take away scholarships from the incoming freshmen? Or they can stay but likely without a scholarship?

Does it count for all time conference scoring leader, school rebounder, etc. if the player gets an extra year to play?

Weber got knocked out in the first round of the Big Sky tournament. Do their seniors get to play for another year too? Or since they completed their season do they not get to do this?

As bad as I feel for these kids, I don't like this idea.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:04 pm
dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:36 am

Makes sense for spring sports (baseball, softball, track, etc.). not sure how this makes sense for hoops. Just a shitty break for them.
NCAA is granting extra year for spring sports

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... -athletes/

Does not currently include winter sports (Like Basketball)
:thumb:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

catbooster wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 pm I feel for these seniors that didn't get to participate, but this seems like an emotional plea thrown out there before they thought about the ramifications.

Do you also add how ever many scholarships (and/or roster slots) for the seniors who would be staying? Maybe 2 for this school, 3 for that one, etc? Or take away scholarships from the incoming freshmen? Or they can stay but likely without a scholarship?

Does it count for all time conference scoring leader, school rebounder, etc. if the player gets an extra year to play?

Weber got knocked out in the first round of the Big Sky tournament. Do their seniors get to play for another year too? Or since they completed their season do they not get to do this?

Granting an eligibility waiver for basketball (and probably other winter sports) just sounds like a logistical nightmare. Every team's recruiting strategy was based around their seniors being gone, and players will have to be cut if the scholarship limits aren't increased. Upping the scholarship limit is problematic too, though, because you're asking to schools to spend more money than they planned for right after they just lost the NCAA Tournament TV revenue (and conference-tournament TV revenue in some cases). The vast majority of athletic departments lose money already, so I'm skeptical they'd be on board with this.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:56 pm
catbooster wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 pm I feel for these seniors that didn't get to participate, but this seems like an emotional plea thrown out there before they thought about the ramifications.

Granting an eligibility waiver for basketball (and probably other winter sports) just sounds like a logistical nightmare. Every team's recruiting strategy was based around their seniors being gone, and players will have to be cut if the scholarship limits aren't increased. Upping the scholarship limit is problematic too, though, because you're asking to schools to spend more money than they planned for right after they just lost the NCAA Tournament TV revenue (and conference-tournament TV revenue in some cases). The vast majority of athletic departments lose money already, so I'm skeptical they'd be on board with this.
:nod:

Eastern’s golf coach just said the exact same thing. It’s tough because she has a senior who’s Ben kicking ass since the fall and just won her 3rd tournament. 72 stroke average and they’re not playing easy courses.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Almost forgot… the 10-year anniversary of the most memorable conference tournament performance of all time was this past Tuesday (3/10). The Anthony Johnson miracle was made even more memorable a few years later when we all learned Anthony Johnson had severe vision problems the whole time. :shock:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:51 am Almost forgot… the 10-year anniversary of the most memorable conference tournament performance of all time was this past Tuesday (3/10). The Anthony Johnson miracle was made even more memorable a few years later when we all learned Anthony Johnson had severe vision problems the whole time. :shock:

Good share.