Houston Baptist
N.Dakota
S.Dakota
Seattle
SIU-Edwardsville
Bryant
New Haven

???
Oklahoma City (was on the 2008 list but now they're not on it anyone, anyone know why?)

good luck to all of theses schools in D-I
Sly Fox
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty

Re: D-I newbies

Post by Sly Fox »

All of the 2007 schools have lined up a conference except HBU. Hopefully the Huskies find somebody willing to let them in in the next few years.
NDSUFREAK
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State
A.K.A.: Chupacabra

Post by NDSUFREAK »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:2007
Presbyterian
NC Central
Florida Gulf Coast
USC-Upstate
Houston Baptist
N.Dakota
S.Dakota
Seattle
SIU-Edwardsville
Bryant
New Haven

???
Oklahoma City (was on the 2008 list but now they're not on it anyone, anyone know why?)

good luck to all of theses schools in D-I
except for one of them........
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

NCCU is not in the MEAC yet. They should get in by the end of their provisional membership
GREY DAWG
I am a fan of: Southern Illinois

Post by GREY DAWG »

Hmmm I wonder if NDSU and SDSU will try to hop on into the Valley now since they are going to be joining the Gateway.
ImageImage
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

If they went to 12, maybe. But St. Louis would be at the top of their list for expansion.
GREY DAWG
I am a fan of: Southern Illinois

Post by GREY DAWG »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:If they went to 12, maybe. But St. Louis would be at the top of their list for expansion.
SLU was in the Valley about 10 years ago, then they decided to leave and play in a conference where you closest opponent is in Dayton. :shock: Morons. I think it would take a while for NDSU and SDSU to get into the Valley anyway, especially since they are just now going D1.
ImageImage
WR Jack
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by WR Jack »

GREY DAWG wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:If they went to 12, maybe. But St. Louis would be at the top of their list for expansion.
SLU was in the Valley about 10 years ago, then they decided to leave and play in a conference where you closest opponent is in Dayton. :shock: Morons. I think it would take a while for NDSU and SDSU to get into the Valley anyway, especially since they are just now going D1.
I think that South Dakota State and North Dakota State made commitments of about eight years to The Summit League. They can buy them out but when combined with a probable initiation fee into another conference, if they were invited, would be a budget buster for both. Expect both of the XDSU's to stay in The Summit for several years. I would predict that we will see the homeless (except for football) University of South Dakota and University of North Dakota in The Summit before we see the XDSU's leave.
msogrizfan
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by msogrizfan »

I wonder if Seattle will try for a BSC invite now that they were turned down by the WCC? When Northern Colorado was added Fullerton said it was ideal to have an uneven number for basketball and even number for football, and apparently Denver turned down an invite. Add in the large Seattle media market, it seems reasonable they would get in.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I doubt it. Fullerton has expressed that he will not accept associate members. Until Seattle gets a football team, they won't be gaining access to the Sky under the current administration.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

Oklahoma City University hoping to return to NCAA Division I

Post by EPJr »

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City University officials say today they hope to return the school to NCAA Division One status, more than two decades after the school dropped from Division One to the NAIA.

After releasing the results of a feasibility study about such a move, OCU President Tom McDaniel said it likely would be sometime in 2008 before the university was ready to apply for Division One membership, and that OCU would remain in the NAIA until that application was made.
Oklahoma City University previously competed in NCAA Division One through the 1984-85 school year. For financial reasons, OCU left the NCAA in 1985 and joined the NAIA. Since then, OCU has enjoyed great success, winning 28 NAIA team championships.

McDaniel says a move to Division One would be expensive financially but that he was confident OCU would be able to obtain the funding.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed
http://www.a10talk.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://twitter.com/atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

Thanks for the report EPJr. Let me know if you hear anything else on anyone else in D-I or D-II
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

GREY DAWG wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call SLU morons. Financially, it was a great move and they are competitive in the A-10. With Rick Majerus taking the program over, recruiting is likely to improve. By the way, SLU was in Conference USA 10 years ago, not the MVC.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

msogrizfan
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by msogrizfan »

I read in a blog that Seattle U may go to the WAC - the WAC wants 10 members for basketball for scheduling, although 9 is ideal for football, so although it isn't urgent for the WAC, they may add Seattle U as a basketball only member.
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

GREY DAWG wrote:Hmmm I wonder if NDSU and SDSU will try to hop on into the Valley now since they are going to be joining the Gateway.
No.
The Valley has no interest in expanding beyond its current 10 teams. The only way they would take a new member is if someone leaves.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

Sly Fox wrote:All of the 2007 schools have lined up a conference except HBU. Hopefully the Huskies find somebody willing to let them in in the next few years.
Which leagues did who join? Just curious.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3

msogrizfan wrote:I read in a blog that Seattle U may go to the WAC - the WAC wants 10 members for basketball for scheduling, although 9 is ideal for football, so although it isn't urgent for the WAC, they may add Seattle U as a basketball only member.
Never, They'd Take a school with football like UC Davis, Portland St., Sacramento St., N.Texas (turned down the WAC once). Gonzaga would be the only school they would even consider that doesn't have football, still very unlikely.
Sly Fox
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by Sly Fox »

skinny_uncle wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:All of the 2007 schools have lined up a conference except HBU. Hopefully the Huskies find somebody willing to let them in in the next few years.
Which leagues did who join? Just curious.
Presbyterian - Big South
NC Central - MEAC (not finalized but apparently a done deal)
Florida Gulf Coast - A-Sun
USC-Upstate - A-Sun

HBU would be a natural fit geographically for the Southland & SWAC. But the Southland claims they are full and the SWAC has never allowed a non-HBCU into their fold up to this point.