BYU to bolt WCC?

College Hoops discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 17229
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by SuperHornet »

I read on the UOP board today that the Big XII is putting on a full-court press to entice BYU to leave the WCC. That sounds like an interesting proposition. Given the way the hoops world is going, that seems like a lateral step at best. Sure, the WCC is a two- or three-bid conference at best, one of which is almost guaranteed to go to Gonzaga. I'm wondering if this isn't a proactive move on the Big XII's part to combat the rumors that they're about to lose Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC.

The way the argument on the UOP board goes, this is actually more of a football-related move, as the WCC is a I-AAA conference with only BYU and San Diego as football-playing members (although just about everyone else in the league played football at some time or another in the past). Geography would also be part of this, because BYU is isolated to the east in the WCC, but would be much closer to the Big XII footprint.

Discussion on the UOP board also focused on potential replacements in the WCC: Seattle, Cal Baptist, and Grand Canyon, all faith-based schools, which fits the paradigm of the WCC. (UOP has that in their history, but dropped the Methodist affiliation in the late '60s because of fears that such affiliation would lead to the loss of federal tuition assistance. Many faith-based schools at the time had those fears, but they proved unfounded, and many were proven correct when they took the chance that they would NOT lose funding over their faith affiliations. The UOP Chaplain, though, is to this day required by job spec to maintain some level of contact with the United Methodist Church, and the school still recognizes Methodist scholarships. The Religion Department, however, is very weak in relation to other schools with a religious history.) Based on those three, the majority of those taking part in the discussion felt Grand Canyon would be the best choice, based on funding and a history of support for basketball. For me, though, that would skew the league's geographic footprint even further south (seven of the nine schools remaining following a BYU departure are in California). I'd favor Seattle for that reason alone. Another option would be to invite both Seattle and Grand Canyon, while also extending a move-up invite to George Fox, a D-III school in Oregon; I base THAT option on the recent forced elevation of St. Thomas. That would preserve an even number of teams in the north and in the south for travel partner purposes.

Any takers on this discussion?
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 57163
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by AZGrizFan »

It was already announced that BYU was one of four schools who made formal application to the Big 12.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image
JALMOND
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4065
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 pm
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:38 pm I read on the UOP board today that the Big XII is putting on a full-court press to entice BYU to leave the WCC. That sounds like an interesting proposition. Given the way the hoops world is going, that seems like a lateral step at best. Sure, the WCC is a two- or three-bid conference at best, one of which is almost guaranteed to go to Gonzaga. I'm wondering if this isn't a proactive move on the Big XII's part to combat the rumors that they're about to lose Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC.

The way the argument on the UOP board goes, this is actually more of a football-related move, as the WCC is a I-AAA conference with only BYU and San Diego as football-playing members (although just about everyone else in the league played football at some time or another in the past). Geography would also be part of this, because BYU is isolated to the east in the WCC, but would be much closer to the Big XII footprint.

Discussion on the UOP board also focused on potential replacements in the WCC: Seattle, Cal Baptist, and Grand Canyon, all faith-based schools, which fits the paradigm of the WCC. (UOP has that in their history, but dropped the Methodist affiliation in the late '60s because of fears that such affiliation would lead to the loss of federal tuition assistance. Many faith-based schools at the time had those fears, but they proved unfounded, and many were proven correct when they took the chance that they would NOT lose funding over their faith affiliations. The UOP Chaplain, though, is to this day required by job spec to maintain some level of contact with the United Methodist Church, and the school still recognizes Methodist scholarships. The Religion Department, however, is very weak in relation to other schools with a religious history.) Based on those three, the majority of those taking part in the discussion felt Grand Canyon would be the best choice, based on funding and a history of support for basketball. For me, though, that would skew the league's geographic footprint even further south (seven of the nine schools remaining following a BYU departure are in California). I'd favor Seattle for that reason alone. Another option would be to invite both Seattle and Grand Canyon, while also extending a move-up invite to George Fox, a D-III school in Oregon; I base THAT option on the recent forced elevation of St. Thomas. That would preserve an even number of teams in the north and in the south for travel partner purposes.

Any takers on this discussion?
My indirect understanding is that Seattle has explored entering the WCC for a few years now to put them in position if the WCC ever was going to expand. They had made the jump to DI with the idea that they would eventually be in the WCC. It was never the intention to be a "lifer" in WAC basketball.
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 16948
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:06 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:38 pm I read on the UOP board today that the Big XII is putting on a full-court press to entice BYU to leave the WCC. That sounds like an interesting proposition. Given the way the hoops world is going, that seems like a lateral step at best. Sure, the WCC is a two- or three-bid conference at best, one of which is almost guaranteed to go to Gonzaga. I'm wondering if this isn't a proactive move on the Big XII's part to combat the rumors that they're about to lose Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC.

The way the argument on the UOP board goes, this is actually more of a football-related move, as the WCC is a I-AAA conference with only BYU and San Diego as football-playing members (although just about everyone else in the league played football at some time or another in the past). Geography would also be part of this, because BYU is isolated to the east in the WCC, but would be much closer to the Big XII footprint.

Discussion on the UOP board also focused on potential replacements in the WCC: Seattle, Cal Baptist, and Grand Canyon, all faith-based schools, which fits the paradigm of the WCC. (UOP has that in their history, but dropped the Methodist affiliation in the late '60s because of fears that such affiliation would lead to the loss of federal tuition assistance. Many faith-based schools at the time had those fears, but they proved unfounded, and many were proven correct when they took the chance that they would NOT lose funding over their faith affiliations. The UOP Chaplain, though, is to this day required by job spec to maintain some level of contact with the United Methodist Church, and the school still recognizes Methodist scholarships. The Religion Department, however, is very weak in relation to other schools with a religious history.) Based on those three, the majority of those taking part in the discussion felt Grand Canyon would be the best choice, based on funding and a history of support for basketball. For me, though, that would skew the league's geographic footprint even further south (seven of the nine schools remaining following a BYU departure are in California). I'd favor Seattle for that reason alone. Another option would be to invite both Seattle and Grand Canyon, while also extending a move-up invite to George Fox, a D-III school in Oregon; I base THAT option on the recent forced elevation of St. Thomas. That would preserve an even number of teams in the north and in the south for travel partner purposes.

Any takers on this discussion?
My indirect understanding is that Seattle has explored entering the WCC for a few years now to put them in position if the WCC ever was going to expand. They had made the jump to DI with the idea that they would eventually be in the WCC. It was never the intention to be a "lifer" in WAC basketball.
Cal Baptist would be atop the list for the WCC to add if they need another full member. Seattle only has a chance if the Zags leave the WCC.
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 16948
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:59 pm It was already announced that BYU was one of four schools who made formal application to the Big 12.
Is it for full membership, of FB only?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 20974
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by clenz »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:14 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:59 pm It was already announced that BYU was one of four schools who made formal application to the Big 12.
Is it for full membership, of FB only?
B12 is going full membership only
User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 16948
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:34 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:14 pm

Is it for full membership, of FB only?
B12 is going full membership only
Thanks.
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 12598
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: UNIfication88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: BYU to bolt WCC?

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:34 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:14 pm
Is it for full membership, of FB only?
B12 is going full membership only
Why? Get BYU for football and they avoid the no Sunday sports events issue for the Olympic sports.
Post Reply