College Hoops discussion
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

2020-21 College B-Ball Season

Post by GannonFan »

With all the focus on football and the fall, something being overlooked is the COVID impact on the next college basketball season. A lot of schools (Notre Dame, Rice, Purdue, South Carolina among them) are now going to start fall semester earlier, eliminate fall break, and end classes by Thanksgiving. The idea is flu season starts in earnest around then and kids travelling home and then right back to school could bring back viruses. The big question in all of that then is where it leaves college basketball. November/December are the big OOC portions of the schedule as well as the destination early season tournaments (like the Maui Invitational for instance). And then of course January and February are the conference portions of the schedule. Does the setup some schools are pursuing put the next college basketball season in real jeopardy?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 2020-21 College B-Ball Season

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I think there will be some sort of college basketball season, but I'd be surprised if it started in November—especially if the football season gets pushed to the spring or something. In other words, it's more likely to be the 2021 season than the 2020-21 season.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Football season isn't getting pushed.

My guess is basketball probably won't, but there will probably be near empty arenas (capacity/social distancing requirements) and an adjusted non-con schedule (games scheduled for later years).
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

I have a scary thought that football is the first domino to fall and there won't be any college athletics through this school year. You can't keep the kids isolated, you can't test everybody involved (coaches, players, referees, scorekeepers, trainers, etc.). And if there is a vaccine developed, I can't see it given to the colleges first, just so there can be a basketball season this year.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:43 pm I have a scary thought that football is the first domino to fall and there won't be any college athletics through this school year. You can't keep the kids isolated, you can't test everybody involved (coaches, players, referees, scorekeepers, trainers, etc.). And if there is a vaccine developed, I can't see it given to the colleges first, just so there can be a basketball season this year.
There’s a good chance you’re right.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Based on the standard that’s been set so far, I’d say there’ll be NO college sports until a vaccine is widely available.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:11 pm Based on the standard that’s been set so far, I’d say there’ll be NO college sports until a vaccine is widely available.
Yup, looks that way. If the Big 10 is not willing to play football, there's no way they play winter (i.e. indoor) sports. Today's decision by the Big 10 is the likely end to winter college sports as well. And considering no one makes money off of spring college sports (to any large extent) those probably aren't being played either. Pretty much closing tents until a good vaccine is widely distributed.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The Maui Invitational has a good lineup this year. Brought to you live from Asheville, NC!
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

Early results seem to point to a down year for the ACC. Big 10, Big East and Big 12 seem likely to be better conferences.

I know Syracuse was a FInal 4 team a few years ago but that program seems to have lost it's luster since. A once proud top 10 program now relegated to a middle of the road conference team. For basketball, the move to the ACC was not good.

ACC has only two teams in the top 20 in KenPom.

How about Rutgers? They have been doing a much better job recruiting in their home state and could even be better than last year where they were likely to make the tourney.

I have only seen a little of Gonzaga so far this year but they looked like they were deserving of the top ranking. West Va. test was a good one though.

Looking forward to the Nova vs. Virginia game next week.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Did you type that post Tuesday night and then just forget to post it? Did you not notice the ACC swept the Big 10 on the games on Wednesday night and only lost the ACC/Big 10 battle by a game?

If the ACC's down, it's that they don't have a top of the line, marquee team this year. They'll be one of those leagues this year that send a bunch of the teams to the dance and then don't get any of them into the Final Four, if even not into the Elite 8. A bunch of good solid teams, just no team that is top 5 or even top 10 material. Heck, even VA Tech from the "lowly" ACC knocked off the best team in the BE earlier this year.

And as always, your reference to the BE is always humorous. How are they with the same grouping as the Big 10 and Big 12? Let's look at the top 30 teams, using kenpom as you reference:

Big 10 - 9 teams in top 30
ACC - 6 teams in the top 30
Big 12 - 5 teams in the top 30
SEC (football conference) - 3 teams in the top 30
Big East - 2 teams in the top 30

The BE is, as it almost always is, nova and then everyone else. Creighton might be something this year, but they always peak in December so I wouldn't count on them.

You are right on the Zags, though, they looked absolutely stacked. Outside of Iowa, they might be the best offensive team in the country right now, and that freshman Suggs looks like an absolute stud. And they go pretty deep this year in terms of the lineup. They can be beat, but it's going to take a special effort to beat them. Getting to see that Gonzaga/Baylor game rescheduled might very well be the national championship game this year (may have been the game last year too).

Btw, just as an afterthought, I did look up Syracuse since I haven't seen them this year. They're #43 and 3-1 this year. I think Boheim's long in the tooth but that's not a bad start to the year. Problem is that puts Syracuse at 8th or 9th in the ACC. If they were still in the Big East that would be good for 4th best team in the conference. It's just a tougher league.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Texas Southern pulled a upset over Wyoming 76-74 overcoming a double digit lead.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:14 am Did you type that post Tuesday night and then just forget to post it? Did you not notice the ACC swept the Big 10 on the games on Wednesday night and only lost the ACC/Big 10 battle by a game?

If the ACC's down, it's that they don't have a top of the line, marquee team this year. They'll be one of those leagues this year that send a bunch of the teams to the dance and then don't get any of them into the Final Four, if even not into the Elite 8. A bunch of good solid teams, just no team that is top 5 or even top 10 material. Heck, even VA Tech from the "lowly" ACC knocked off the best team in the BE earlier this year.

And as always, your reference to the BE is always humorous. How are they with the same grouping as the Big 10 and Big 12? Let's look at the top 30 teams, using kenpom as you reference:

Big 10 - 9 teams in top 30
ACC - 6 teams in the top 30
Big 12 - 5 teams in the top 30
SEC (football conference) - 3 teams in the top 30
Big East - 2 teams in the top 30

The BE is, as it almost always is, nova and then everyone else. Creighton might be something this year, but they always peak in December so I wouldn't count on them.

You are right on the Zags, though, they looked absolutely stacked. Outside of Iowa, they might be the best offensive team in the country right now, and that freshman Suggs looks like an absolute stud. And they go pretty deep this year in terms of the lineup. They can be beat, but it's going to take a special effort to beat them. Getting to see that Gonzaga/Baylor game rescheduled might very well be the national championship game this year (may have been the game last year too).

Btw, just as an afterthought, I did look up Syracuse since I haven't seen them this year. They're #43 and 3-1 this year. I think Boheim's long in the tooth but that's not a bad start to the year. Problem is that puts Syracuse at 8th or 9th in the ACC. If they were still in the Big East that would be good for 4th best team in the conference. It's just a tougher league.

Syracuse ,at #43? Thanks for supporting my point.

15 teams in the ACC, they should have more top 30 teams than anyone, but they don't. Appreciate you doing the research for me.

Nova looks like they may be a national contender again. Jay continues to prove he is one of the best, if not the best coach in the country.

Lastly, anyone else think Boheim and Krzyzewski should retire?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 am
Syracuse ,at #43? Thanks for supporting my point.
Which again, is better than all but 3 Big East teams. Thanks for proving my point.
vutomcat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 am 15 teams in the ACC, they should have more top 30 teams than anyone, but they don't. Appreciate you doing the research for me.
Sure, if teams were playing a lot of in-conference games right now. However, most of the games have been non-conference affairs. You do make a lot of weird, unsupportable statements. Do you watch games or just post here? :coffee:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

It's just my opinion . You and I have different ways of judging teams and conferences for sure. I tend to take all the games into consideration and give a lot of credit to out of conference wins where the Big East traditionally flourishes. You tend to weigh more heavily on the tournament.

Syracuse is no longer a threat to win the tournament IMO. Very different profile than when they were in the Big East. Not sure why you think that is an unsupportable statement. Seems like a no brainer to me. But, now that I put that in writing i'm sure they will go on a 10 game tear. If they do, you can take some pleasure to point out my error.

And, clarify why ooc games would hinder the ACC from having more teams in the top 25-30? Not sure what you are getting at there. Seems to me if they were the strongest conference they should be rolling through ooc games. They have been good, not the best.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Right now it's Gonzaga and then everyone else. Best Gonzaga team probably ever right now - they're deep and really talented. Plus they're a joy to watch, they play a really good looking style of basketball. And now they're good enough that not only do they pull in transfers from good schools (Clark's a transfer from S. Illinois and Numguard is from Florida) but now they're getting a guy like Suggs who has all of the looks of a one-and-done, sure-fire lottery pick player as a true freshman. I'm calling it, this team is better than the Calvary/Santangelo/Frahm team, and that was a fun team to watch.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

I need to watch Baylor. KenPom has them #1.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:40 am Syracuse is no longer a threat to win the tournament IMO. Very different profile than when they were in the Big East. Not sure why you think that is an unsupportable statement. Seems like a no brainer to me.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:20 am I need to watch Baylor. KenPom has them #1.
Syracuse has shot up to number 31 in KenPom now. Not sure how well your post is going to age.

With that said, for some reason he has Iowa's offense as being better ranked than Gonzaga's offense. Apparently the rating system didn't watch the actual game.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:31 am
vutomcat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:40 am Syracuse is no longer a threat to win the tournament IMO. Very different profile than when they were in the Big East. Not sure why you think that is an unsupportable statement. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Always gotta get your two cents in 89. ;)

If you read my original post, I referred to that year. If you remember correctly it was a big upset that they made the Final 4 that year. But, make it they did.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:04 am
vutomcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:20 am I need to watch Baylor. KenPom has them #1.
Syracuse has shot up to number 31 in KenPom now. Not sure how well your post is going to age.

With that said, for some reason he has Iowa's offense as being better ranked than Gonzaga's offense. Apparently the rating system didn't watch the actual game.
I watched them play a couple times already. I'm comfortable they won't be approaching their Big East form.

What's your take on Nova this year?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:53 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:04 am

I watched them play a couple times already. I'm comfortable they won't be approaching their Big East form.

Depends on what their "Big East" form even means. 'Cuse looks like a tournament team and they could be alright. Not really a threat to go deep in the tournament, but not really a lot of teams are.

As for 'nova, they're probably not likely to win a national title this year, but they'll make a good run in the tournament. A Final Four would be a great accomplishment and is certainly in reach. Like any March, it'll depend on how the bracket sets up and if they can avoid Gonzaga and Baylor and maybe even Iowa. That win against Texas will look better and better as the season moves on as Texas is getting better and better. But nova needs to get back on the court, it's been almost two weeks and out of sight out of mind.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 am
vutomcat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:53 am

Depends on what their "Big East" form even means. 'Cuse looks like a tournament team and they could be alright. Not really a threat to go deep in the tournament, but not really a lot of teams are.

As for 'nova, they're probably not likely to win a national title this year, but they'll make a good run in the tournament. A Final Four would be a great accomplishment and is certainly in reach. Like any March, it'll depend on how the bracket sets up and if they can avoid Gonzaga and Baylor and maybe even Iowa. That win against Texas will look better and better as the season moves on as Texas is getting better and better. But nova needs to get back on the court, it's been almost two weeks and out of sight out of mind.
In the words of Yoda, prophetic am I. nova still has COVID issues and has now postponed 3 more games. Gotta start playing sometime. Right now it doesn't look like their going to postpone March Madness (announcement yesterday that they're doing the whole tournament in Indiana). Even really good teams need time to gel and get things sorted out. Can't do that in just practice or in Zoom calls.