College Hoops discussion
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

2020-21 College B-Ball Season

Post by GannonFan »

With all the focus on football and the fall, something being overlooked is the COVID impact on the next college basketball season. A lot of schools (Notre Dame, Rice, Purdue, South Carolina among them) are now going to start fall semester earlier, eliminate fall break, and end classes by Thanksgiving. The idea is flu season starts in earnest around then and kids travelling home and then right back to school could bring back viruses. The big question in all of that then is where it leaves college basketball. November/December are the big OOC portions of the schedule as well as the destination early season tournaments (like the Maui Invitational for instance). And then of course January and February are the conference portions of the schedule. Does the setup some schools are pursuing put the next college basketball season in real jeopardy?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 2020-21 College B-Ball Season

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I think there will be some sort of college basketball season, but I'd be surprised if it started in November—especially if the football season gets pushed to the spring or something. In other words, it's more likely to be the 2021 season than the 2020-21 season.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 2020-21 College B-Ball Season

Post by SDHornet »

Football season isn't getting pushed.

My guess is basketball probably won't, but there will probably be near empty arenas (capacity/social distancing requirements) and an adjusted non-con schedule (games scheduled for later years).