Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Disaster for FCS and G5- Unlimited Undergrad Transfers

Post by BDKJMU »

Could put this here or Other College Sports. You thought the Portal was a free for all now, its going to get even worse. Combined with NIL, another boon for the P5s, who will rob the G5s blind, who will rob FCS..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Re: Disaster for FCS and G5- Unlimited Undergrad Transfers

Post by uofmman1122 »

"This is not a permanent change to the NCAA transfer policy."

"Clarity from NCAA: Court's ruling is only applicable for this 14-day period. The ruling does not forecast for future seasons.

The biggest impact appears to be on active transfers for winter sports (ie basketball) who can now play over the next two weeks."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

uofmman1122 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:29 pm "This is not a permanent change to the NCAA transfer policy."

"Clarity from NCAA: Court's ruling is only applicable for this 14-day period. The ruling does not forecast for future seasons.

The biggest impact appears to be on active transfers for winter sports (ie basketball) who can now play over the next two weeks."
Sure its a temp injunction now, but it will become permanent. The NCAA will lose on this.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Tried reading up a little on the NIL, but couldn't get an answer to my specific question, so here it goes:

With how large NIL's are becoming, will they be able to distribute enough money to an FBS non starter, that they won't be interested in transferring down to the FCS?

I ask, because this summer, the Griz were looking at a QB Grad transfer and I believe offered him a scholarship. He chose to go to Michigan and essentially be a sideline analyst as a player. Knew he wouldn't play, but was fine holding a clipboard and taking notes. Don't know if he got offered any NIL money.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:00 am Tried reading up a little on the NIL, but couldn't get an answer to my specific question, so here it goes:

With how large NIL's are becoming, will they be able to distribute enough money to an FBS non starter, that they won't be interested in transferring down to the FCS?

I ask, because this summer, the Griz were looking at a QB Grad transfer and I believe offered him a scholarship. He chose to go to Michigan and essentially be a sideline analyst as a player. Knew he wouldn't play, but was fine holding a clipboard and taking notes. Don't know if he got offered any NIL money.
Tuttle actually played in 6 games this year as the backup. It was all in garbage time, and you're right about his main focus being going into coaching, but he did see the field a bit.

As for your question, NIL can offer any player as much as they'd like, so even offering a guy that won't see the field is possible if the team doesn't want to lose him, for some reason. I can't imagine many teams willing to do that for a guy they know isn't gonna see the field, unless they are a Freshman, or something.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:00 am Tried reading up a little on the NIL, but couldn't get an answer to my specific question, so here it goes:

Tuttle actually played in 6 games this year as the backup. It was all in garbage time, and you're right about his main focus being going into coaching, but he did see the field a bit.

As for your question, NIL can offer any player as much as they'd like, so even offering a guy that won't see the field is possible if the team doesn't want to lose him, for some reason. I can't imagine many teams willing to do that for a guy they know isn't gonna see the field, unless they are a Freshman, or something.
Thank you for the answer. Always wondered if Sulser got any money when he transferred. I agree that a school isn't going to spend it on guys who don't see the field, but some schools have ridiculous amounts of cash. Of course I could just be confused about simple cash on hand vs that being able to be used as NIL money. Just now starting to pay attention, so I'm totally clueless on the topic.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

uofmman1122 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:29 pm "This is not a permanent change to the NCAA transfer policy."

Elijah Sarratt 2022 All NEC & FCS Fr AA at St Francis. Transfers to JMU to play with his older brother. 2023 for JMU over 1k yds receiving & 1st team All SBC. JMU fans were like at least he can’t enter the portal without having to sit a year because already used his 1 undergrad transfer. Now with this judges ruling into the portal be goes, probably to a P5 with a big NIL deal.
https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/new ... er-portal/
And tbere are probably dozens if not several hundred more just like him between FCS & FBS.

Like I said earlier, this multiple transfers as an undergrad 2 week injunction will probably become permanent. If it does, combined with what NIL has morphed into, will have even bigger roster turnover every season for FCS and G5.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am

FCOA for a few grand a semester on top of full scholly. Fine by me. NIL as it was intended to be, a business paying a player(s) to ise their name/image to promote a product or service. Fine by me. But NIL has morphed into just about every Div I school settig up these collectives where they are practically just giving players large sums of cash, which has just accelerated the portal free for all.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

More hits for Idaho.

What does does a rs freshman corner who wasn’t even all conference honorable mention get for going to Cincinnati?

“Idaho’s two corners, Harris (California) and Arnold (Cincinnati) have already found new homes, and Arnold’s jump from the Big Sky to the Big 12 came as a shock.

The redshirt freshman finished with 33 tackles, two interceptions and five pass breakups.

“I think everything has a market rate,” Eck said. “He’s going to get $150,000 to go (to Cincinnati), and we recommended that for him. ... I was surprised that was the rate for a guy who wasn’t all-conference and didn’t even get enough votes to be an honorable mention. I think he is a very good football player, and we’re just going to have to navigate this whole new world with the transfer portal and NIL. Money seems to have been the leading factor.”

https://www.lmtribune.com/sports/ui-foo ... KLgd2yIZAc
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

FBS allowing FCS to do the scouting on HS players and they will just swoop in like locust and take the good ones or even capable ones

FCS is AA baseball now
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:00 pm FBS allowing FCS to do the scouting on HS players and they will just swoop in like locust and take the good ones or even capable ones

FCS is AA baseball now
Yep.

P4= Major Leagues
G5= AAA
FCS = AA
Div II = A High
Div III = A Low

FCS and G5 you’ll see a lot less multi year all conference players, and multi year All Americans in FCS will become extremely rare.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:26 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:00 pm FBS allowing FCS to do the scouting on HS players and they will just swoop in like locust and take the good ones or even capable ones

FCS is AA baseball now
Yep.

P4= Major Leagues
G5= AAA
FCS = AA
Div II = A High
Div III = A Low

FCS and G5 you’ll see a lot less multi year all conference players, and multi year All Americans in FCS will become extremely rare.
That makes sense

Also, FCS will be getting some highly rated HS players they normally wouldn’t get, kind of like the Holiday prospect in the Orioles system that started at low A Delmarva and finished season in AAA… they won’t be around very long and will have to hire accountants. If they would just actually go to class, they might be able to manage their millions themselves.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:47 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:26 pm
Yep.

P4= Major Leagues
G5= AAA
FCS = AA
Div II = A High
Div III = A Low

That makes sense

Also, FCS will be getting some highly rated HS players they normally wouldn’t get, kind of like the Holiday prospect in the Orioles system that started at low A Delmarva and finished season in AAA… they won’t be around very long and will have to hire accountants. If they would just actually go to class, they might be able to manage their millions themselves.
That’s what remote learning is for. Besides, Ivy League MBA’s and economists created the great recession.

The ACC’s new scheduling format is attempting to allow Cal and Stanford to play back to back away games on the EC(b) where they just hang out there for two weeks.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:59 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:47 am

That makes sense

That’s what remote learning is for. Besides, Ivy League MBA’s and economists created the great recession.

The ACC’s new scheduling format is attempting to allow Cal and Stanford to play back to back away games on the EC(b) where they just hang out there for two weeks.
Well they would still need to logon for remote learning right? My comment was about many players might think what’s the point of attending class …. I’m already rich
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Florida A&M is straight stealing players from Florida St.