Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Predictions 9-16

Post by JALMOND »

So now is the final weekend of non-conference games for all the Big Sky schools before 9 straight weeks of conference games. Four teams are advancing way up, playing the Pac-12 that certainly hasn't shown any leniency towards the Big Sky so far this year. Two are going the other way, playing teams from the NAIA. As for me, I currently sit at an embarrassing 21-3 so far for the year and need to have a perfect weekend this weekend. Here are my predictions for this weekend and my feeble attempt at perfection.

Lincoln, CA (NAIA) at CP---The Mustangs couldn't hang with a good team from the Mountain West last week, but they did get a win in their home opener two weeks ago. Hats off to the Mustangs who should be ready for conference play with a 2-1 record...CP 38, Lincoln, CA 7.

SE Louisiana (FCS Southland) at EWU---Quietly, but steadily, the Eagles have been letting other teams have their glory and, while they have emerged 0-2 so far, they have played some tough opponents close. Another tough one but this is at home. Can they get it?...EWU 28, SE Louisiana 24.

UI at California (FBS Pac-12)---The Vandals are looking good so far in the non-conference season, getting a relatively easy win over the FBS last week. They stay in the FBS but move up to the Pac-12 this week where they have a shot to get FBS win number 2. Close, but no...California 31, UI 28.

Northern Iowa (FCS Missouri Valley) at ISU---The Bengals took a two week trip into the Mountain West and looked good at times other than a really bad 2nd quarter against Utah State. They welcome one of the premier teams from the Missouri Valley this weekend...Northern Iowa 31, ISU 14.

Ferris State (DII) at UM---Two game against fairly easy opponents have got the Grizzlies off to a 2-0 start. Now, on paper, it looks like another easy foe is coming. But this team is a 2-time defending national champions in DII. The Grizzlies better be ready...UM 42, Ferris State 14.

Stetson (FCS Pioneer) at MSU---The Bobcats certainly did not shine away from the spotlight last week, looking impressive in the first half against the top team in FCS. They come back home this weekend, bringing in a Pioneer league squad from Florida. A good tuneup...MSU 48, Stetson 10.

Utah Tech (FCS United) at NAU---Getting away from their big brothers of the Pac-12 proved to be a good thing as the Lumberjacks looked better against FCS competition last week. They are the third straight Big Sky opponent for the team coming to town. They should get this one...NAU 28, Utah Tech 22.

UNC at Washington State (FBS Pac-12)---The Bears haven't shown much of a whimper in playing the Southland the last two weeks and now they are stepping up to the Pac-12, playing one of the surprising teams in that conference. This may get ugly in a hurry...Washington State 58, UNC 7.

North American, TX (NAIA) at PSU---Two FBS games for the Vikings and as a result, two losses to start the season. Defensive stats are ugly but that is expected with them giving up 81 points in the first game. One team may score a lot here, hopefully it is the Vikings...PSU 63, North American 7.

SAC at Stanford (FBS Pac-12)---The Hornets have shown that they can beat up on the Southland conference pretty good. Now they will take their good feelings and unblemished record up to the Pac-12 and the Bay Area where they may have a shot at an impressive win...Stanford 17, SAC 14.

Southern Utah (FCS United) at UCD---The Aggies were the lone victim of the Pac-12 last week so this week they are returning home and returning to FCS play against a team that put a scare into a Pac-12 team, then went out and couldn't stop their bigger rivals. Aggies return to winning...UCD 32, Southern Utah 28.

WSU at Utah (FBS Pac-12)---One step at a time. The Wildcats dispatched a DII school rather handily, then moved on to hostile territory and emerged with another win. The cream of their non-conference schedule is a date with their big brothers in one of the tougher places in the NCAA...Utah 42, WSU 14.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Big Sky Predictions 9-16

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SELU 44-41 EWU — Not clear how good these teams are from the results so far, so I'll go with my preseason pick

North American 3-65 Portlol St.The other NAU is a terrible NAIA squad, so even a team like the Vikings can pick their score against them

Lincoln (CA) 10-41 Cal PolyLincoln isn't affiliated with any athletic association, I'm pretty sure, but they're still better than North American

Suutah 24-41 DavisThe T-Birds could be decent this year, but I doubt they're on Davis's level

Sac State 27-31 StanchevyI'd probably take the Hornets here if their former coach wasn't on the other sideline

Idaho 24-38 CalCan the Vandals get two scalps in a row? I'm gonna guess no since Cal has never lost to an FCS team

Yunie 33-20 Idaho St. — Northern Iowa has been disappointing thus far, but losing to Idaho State would be the definition of bottoming out

Weber 6-41 UtahThese intrastate opponents have only played 4 times, oddly enough

Utah Tech 17-38 NAUThe Lumberjacks are probably bad, but they're not Utah Tech bad

Ferris 17-31 MontanaThe Griz decided to schedule themselves a Kobayashi Maru :?

Cowboy Hats 14-62 Montana St.The perfect opponent to follow a bitter loss

NoCo 0-49 WazzuThe Bears aren't even averaging double figures against FCS competition
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CP
EWU
Cal
UNI
UM
MSU
NAU
Wazzu
PSU
Furd
dungpilers
Utah
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:17 pm So now is the final weekend of non-conference games for all the Big Sky schools before 9 straight weeks of conference games. Four teams are advancing way up, playing the Pac-12 that certainly hasn't shown any leniency towards the Big Sky so far this year. Two are going the other way, playing teams from the NAIA. As for me, I currently sit at an embarrassing 21-3 so far for the year and need to have a perfect weekend this weekend. Here are my predictions for this weekend and my feeble attempt at perfection.

Lincoln, CA (NAIA) at CP---The Mustangs couldn't hang with a good team from the Mountain West last week, but they did get a win in their home opener two weeks ago. Hats off to the Mustangs who should be ready for conference play with a 2-1 record...CP 38, Lincoln, CA 7.

SE Louisiana (FCS Southland) at EWU---Quietly, but steadily, the Eagles have been letting other teams have their glory and, while they have emerged 0-2 so far, they have played some tough opponents close. Another tough one but this is at home. Can they get it?...EWU 28, SE Louisiana 24.

UI at California (FBS Pac-12)---The Vandals are looking good so far in the non-conference season, getting a relatively easy win over the FBS last week. They stay in the FBS but move up to the Pac-12 this week where they have a shot to get FBS win number 2. Close, but no...California 31, UI 28.

Northern Iowa (FCS Missouri Valley) at ISU---The Bengals took a two week trip into the Mountain West and looked good at times other than a really bad 2nd quarter against Utah State. They welcome one of the premier teams from the Missouri Valley this weekend...Northern Iowa 31, ISU 14.

Ferris State (DII) at UM---Two game against fairly easy opponents have got the Grizzlies off to a 2-0 start. Now, on paper, it looks like another easy foe is coming. But this team is a 2-time defending national champions in DII. The Grizzlies better be ready...UM 42, Ferris State 14.

Stetson (FCS Pioneer) at MSU---The Bobcats certainly did not shine away from the spotlight last week, looking impressive in the first half against the top team in FCS. They come back home this weekend, bringing in a Pioneer league squad from Florida. A good tuneup...MSU 48, Stetson 10.

Utah Tech (FCS United) at NAU---Getting away from their big brothers of the Pac-12 proved to be a good thing as the Lumberjacks looked better against FCS competition last week. They are the third straight Big Sky opponent for the team coming to town. They should get this one...NAU 28, Utah Tech 22.

UNC at Washington State (FBS Pac-12)---The Bears haven't shown much of a whimper in playing the Southland the last two weeks and now they are stepping up to the Pac-12, playing one of the surprising teams in that conference. This may get ugly in a hurry...Washington State 58, UNC 7.

North American, TX (NAIA) at PSU---Two FBS games for the Vikings and as a result, two losses to start the season. Defensive stats are ugly but that is expected with them giving up 81 points in the first game. One team may score a lot here, hopefully it is the Vikings...PSU 63, North American 7.

SAC at Stanford (FBS Pac-12)---The Hornets have shown that they can beat up on the Southland conference pretty good. Now they will take their good feelings and unblemished record up to the Pac-12 and the Bay Area where they may have a shot at an impressive win...Stanford 17, SAC 14.

Southern Utah (FCS United) at UCD---The Aggies were the lone victim of the Pac-12 last week so this week they are returning home and returning to FCS play against a team that put a scare into a Pac-12 team, then went out and couldn't stop their bigger rivals. Aggies return to winning...UCD 32, Southern Utah 28.

WSU at Utah (FBS Pac-12)---One step at a time. The Wildcats dispatched a DII school rather handily, then moved on to hostile territory and emerged with another win. The cream of their non-conference schedule is a date with their big brothers in one of the tougher places in the NCAA...Utah 42, WSU 14.
Another 10-2 week, puts me at 31-5 heading into conference play.