Transfer Portal Rules Changing

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Transfer Portal Rules Changing

Post by SuperHornet »

Two thousand FBS players hit the portal after this past season, on top of FCS players and below. Many of these transfers are on their second, third, or fourth transfer. The NCAA thinks that's abuse of the system, and they're out to curb that. New rules will restrict the rationale allowed for transfers beyond the first, and they're bringing back the sit-out year. They're also talking about a requirement to graduate, like with the old 4-2-4 rule.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ts-with-f/

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Re: Transfer Portal Rules Changing

Post by BlackFalkin »

That’s great news. This isn’t the NFL, college football is great and all but ultimately you’re there to gain an education. Transferring from university to university makes it very difficult to graduate on time, mainly because different states (and therefore universities in most public institutions) have different rules, guidelines & prerequisites. I’ll leave it at that. Also, that sit out year is HUGE! If you’ve already burned your redshirt year, you’ll lose an entire season, that’s 33-50% of your college career in most cases. It makes the decision to commit and the decision to transfer that much more important/critical.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:12 am That’s great news. This isn’t the NFL, college football is great and all but ultimately you’re there to gain an education. Transferring from university to university makes it very difficult to graduate on time, mainly because different states (and therefore universities in most public institutions) have different rules, guidelines & prerequisites. I’ll leave it at that. Also, that sit out year is HUGE! If you’ve already burned your redshirt year, you’ll lose an entire season, that’s 33-50% of your college career in most cases. It makes the decision to commit and the decision to transfer that much more important/critical.
All of this!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:39 pm Two thousand FBS players hit the portal after this past season, on top of FCS players and below. Many of these transfers are on their second, third, or fourth transfer. The NCAA thinks that's abuse of the system, and they're out to curb that. New rules will restrict the rationale allowed for transfers beyond the first, and they're bringing back the sit-out year. They're also talking about a requirement to graduate, like with the old 4-2-4 rule.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ts-with-f/
SH, Your link went to a different article. I found another but it didn’t mention the graduation requirement. According to this one, players only have to sit out if they’ve transferred before. First time transfers will still get the waiver.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... caa-change
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bison are losing 2 more to the portal. DB's Eubanks and Dom Jones. Going to be a young team next year.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bison RB Kobe Johnson will Grad Transfer from NDSU.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:10 am Bison RB Kobe Johnson will Grad Transfer from NDSU.
I'm sure you guys will be fine, but....damn, what is going on? At some point it's gotta be a little worrying, right?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

uofmman1122 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:29 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:10 am Bison RB Kobe Johnson will Grad Transfer from NDSU.
I'm sure you guys will be fine, but....damn, what is going on? At some point it's gotta be a little worrying, right?
Get to add more players to the active roster, and add a couple transfers ourselves. It will be an interesting 2023 season. Looking forward to the EWU game.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:10 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:29 am
Get to add more players to the active roster, and add a couple transfers ourselves. It will be an interesting 2023 season. Looking forward to the EWU game.
If it’s not a blowout be concerned.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:35 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:10 pm

If it’s not a blowout be concerned.
Already concerned if EWU shows up.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 am Bison are losing 2 more to the portal. DB's Eubanks and Dom Jones. Going to be a young team next year.
Probably leaving for playing time
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:48 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 am Bison are losing 2 more to the portal. DB's Eubanks and Dom Jones. Going to be a young team next year.
Probably leaving for playing time
These 2 are or would be full time starters next season. Said they were leaving to try their skills at the FBS level.