2022 Walter Payton Award - Lindsey Scott, Jr. (UIW)

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

2022 Walter Payton Award - Lindsey Scott, Jr. (UIW)

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

The suspense was unbearable here. ;)

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/01/uiw-q ... -the-year/

Vote

1. QB Lindsey Scott, Jr. (UIW) - 195
2. QB Tim DeMorat (FORD) - 171
3. RB Jaden Shirden (MONM) - 78
4. QB Michael Hiers (SAM) - 69
5. RB Geno Hess (SEMO) - 61
6. QB Shedeur Sanders (JSU) - 45
7. RB Jaleel McLaughlin (YSU) - 30
8. OL Cody Mauch (NDSU) - 27
9. WR Joey Hobert (UTU) - 17
10t. RB Cameron Skattebo (SAC) - 16
10t. QB Matthew Sluka (HC) - 16
12t. FB Hunter Luepke (NDSU) - 11
12t. QB Parker McKinney (EKU) - 11
14t. WR Devron Harper (MER) - 10
14t. WR Fotis Kokosioulis (FORD) - 10
14t. RB Ulonzo Gilliam, Jr. (UCD) - 10
17. RB ShunDerrick Powell (UNA) - 6
18t. QB Tommy Mellott (MTST) - 5
18t. WR Xavier Gipson (SFA) - 5
20t. RB Bayshul Tuten (NCAT) - 4
20t. WR Xavier Smith (FAMU) - 4
22. QB Reece Udinski (RICH) - 3
23t. QB Bailey Fisher (GWEBB) - 2
23t. QB Davius Richard (NCCEN) - 2
25t. QB Cole Doyle (SFPA) - 1
25t. RB Deonta McMahon (MCNSE) - 1
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: 2022 Walter Payton Award - Lindsey Scott, Jr. (UIW)

Post by SuperHornet »

I admit that I'm biased, but it should have been either Skattebo or O'Hara....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:39 pm I admit that I'm biased, but it should have been either Skattebo or O'Hara....
It absolutely shouldn't have. Scott was far and away the best player in FCS this year, and it wasn't close at all.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:43 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:39 pm I admit that I'm biased, but it should have been either Skattebo or O'Hara....
It absolutely shouldn't have. Scott was far and away the best player in FCS this year, and it wasn't close at all.
Yup
:thumb:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I wouldn't go quite that far. Scott was the rightful winner, but DeMorat's numbers were nearly as gaudy. He also had to put the team on his back every week because Fordham's defense was comically terrible. I was also surprised that Sluka wasn't at least close to the top-3.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Skattebo folded under pressure, Walter Payton Award winners don’t choke under pressure like that. His grandparents came in from outta town for that game, and Lindsey Scott & UIW’s defense made it a disappointing night. Skattebo’s grandmother, Evelyn Skattebo was seen leaving Hornet Stadium and said, “I can’t believe it, my grandson’s a bitch! No further comment.”
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BlackFalkin wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:33 pm
Skattebo folded under pressure, Walter Payton Award winners don’t choke under pressure like that. His grandparents came in from outta town for that game, and Lindsey Scott & UIW’s defense made it a disappointing night. Skattebo’s grandmother, Evelyn Skattebo was seen leaving Hornet Stadium and said, “I can’t believe it, my grandson’s a bitch! No further comment.”
UIW’s defense gave up 48 first downs in that game.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:05 pm
I wouldn't go quite that far. Scott was the rightful winner, but DeMorat's numbers were nearly as gaudy. He also had to put the team on his back every week because Fordham's defense was comically terrible. I was also surprised that Sluka wasn't at least close to the top-3.
Scott played against and was successful against much better teams.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:06 am

“Much” is a stretch. The SLC was terrible this year outside of SELA and UIW. Nevada finished on a 10 game losing streak, Ohio went to a bowl. Fordham also beat 3 CAA teams.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:25 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:06 am

“Much” is a stretch. The SLC was terrible this year outside of SELA and UIW. Nevada finished on a 10 game losing streak, Ohio went to a bowl. Fordham also beat 3 CAA teams.
Scott beat SIU, who was better than anyone Fordham played except Holy Cross, yes even Ohio. Those CAA teams would be lucky to beat Cal Poly. UNH finishes at the bottom half of the Big Sky or Valley. Too much ECB bias in this years playoff selection.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:29 am

Scott beat SIU, who was better than anyone Fordham played except Holy Cross, yes even Ohio. Those CAA teams would be lucky to beat Cal Poly. UNH finishes at the bottom half of the Big Sky or Valley. Too much ECB bias in this years playoff selection.
SIU ha a few nice wins against a 1-11 NW, UND, and ISU but the Valley was down. I agree with your last sentence. I’ll stand by my statement. Much is a stretch.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:49 am

SIU ha a few nice wins against a 1-11 NW, UND, and ISU but the Valley was down. I agree with your last sentence. I’ll stand by my statement. Much is a stretch.
1-11 Northwestern played Penn St tougher than Ohio. Scott played against Furman, Sac and NDSU which is much better than any three on Fordham achedule.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:49 am

1-11 Northwestern played Penn St tougher than Ohio. Scott played against Furman, Sac and NDSU which is much better than any three on Fordham achedule.
Good lord are you tenacious. lol. You’re picking nits here. UIW was the better team as proven in the playoffs. Not because SIU was a higher quality win. Fordham played a slightly weaker schedule but not by much and took both Ohio and HC to the wire along with beating 3 CAA teams that would have likely finished with winning records if they played in the SLC.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:37 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pm

Good lord are you tenacious. lol. You’re picking nits here. UIW was the better team as proven in the playoffs. Not because SIU was a higher quality win. Fordham played a slightly weaker schedule but not by much and took both Ohio and HC to the wire along with beating 3 CAA teams that would have likely finished with winning records if they played in the SLC.
I don't think we will agree, to me UIW played much stronger opponents. I'm not sold on Albany or Stoneybrook doing anything in the SLC, and UNH maybe 3rd.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I'm assuming this post was mostly trolling, but…

Ohio's a MAC team that won 10 games. SIU was not better than Ohio.

Also… Cal Poly barely beat San Diego. :?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:15 pm

I'm assuming this post was mostly trolling, but…

Ohio's a MAC team that won 10 games. SIU was not better than Ohio.

Also… Cal Poly barely beat San Diego. :?
CAA was bad this year real bad. I wouldn't be surprised if SIU beat Ohio. MVFC was better than people think, and the Big Sky even better. Find 3 better opponents on Fordham schedule than Furman, Sac and NDSU.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SOS
Sagarin UIW 183, Fordham 240 FCS+FBS
Massey UIW 25, Fordham 77 FCS
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

DeMorat has more size 6-4 220 over Scott 5-11 210 but he can use Russell Wilson as his example for playing with the big boys.DeMorat has more passing yds.