Massey - Jackrabbits by 2
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Re: Title Game - (#3) NoDak State vs. (#1) SoDak State

Post by uofmman1122 »

I think the Jacks are the better team, but things always seem to work out for the Bufs in Frisco, so I'll believe they'll lose if/when they actually do.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I'm not totally certain, but I believe this is the first time NDSU has been the underdog in the title game since their first appearance in 2011 (SHSU was favored there, I'm pretty sure).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

These teams should just save the driving/flying, and play it in Minneapolis at the Metrodome, about 3 1/2 hrs mas/menos from Fargo and Brookings. Could probably get 40k there..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

I remember when this game was played on Friday Night to me it was like MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.
cx500d
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by cx500d »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:I'm not totally certain, but I believe this is the first time NDSU has been the underdog in the title game since their first appearance in 2011 (SHSU was favored there, I'm pretty sure).
2017 NDSu was #2 seed , 2015 ndsu was #3 seed, with highest seeds in the title games

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

I think someone is going to have to throw the ball to be successful to win this game.Both squads are run-oriented.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

cx500d wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:45 am
Mvemjsunpx wrote:I'm not totally certain, but I believe this is the first time NDSU has been the underdog in the title game since their first appearance in 2011 (SHSU was favored there, I'm pretty sure).
2017 NDSu was #2 seed , 2015 ndsu was #3 seed, with highest seeds in the title games

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seeds doesn’t matter as far as who’s favored by Vegas.

2017 #1 JMU/#2 NDSU, opening/early line was NDSU -3. It bounced around over the 3 weeks, and I believe it got real close, but believe NDSU always stayed sleightly favored.

2019 #1 NDSU/#2 JMU opening/early line was NDSU -2, shortly after -1.5. Over the 3 weeks I think it got close to 0, or maybe even sleightly favored JMU, but pretty sure the closing line was NDSU -1 or -2.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

uofmman1122 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:39 pm I think the Jacks are the better team, but things always seem to work out for the Bufs in Frisco, so I'll believe they'll lose if/when they actually do.
i think that every time North Dakota State has won the championship game in Frisco they have clearly been the better team. And almost always to a significant degree. This time I don't think they are. But they are not going to go in clearly being the superior team as they have in the past. To me they don't have quite as dominant a defense as they have in the past. Very good defense. But not as overwhelmingly dominant as it has been.

You never know what will happen though. I think South Dakota State went into the 2021 Spring Season championship game clearly being the better team. But their starting quarterback got knocked out of the game on the first series. I think they'd have won that game by double digits and may have completely blown Sam Houston State out if that hadn't happened. But it happened and they narrowly lost.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:30 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:39 pm I think the Jacks are the better team, but things always seem to work out for the Bufs in Frisco, so I'll believe they'll lose if/when they actually do.
i think that every time North Dakota State has won the championship game in Frisco they have clearly been the better team. And almost always to a significant degree. This time I don't think they are. But they are not going to go in clearly being the superior team as they have in the past. To me they don't have quite as dominant a defense as they have in the past. Very good defense. But not as overwhelmingly dominant as it has been.

You never know what will happen though. I think South Dakota State went into the 2021 Spring Season championship game clearly being the better team. But their starting quarterback got knocked out of the game on the first series. I think they'd have won that game by double digits and may have completely blown Sam Houston State out if that hadn't happened. But it happened and they narrowly lost.
Like I said, things just work out for them in Frisco.

I like the Jacks, but think NDSU will pull it out.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:30 pm

Sure they won vs ILSU in 2014 and vs JMU in 2017 & 2019, all one score games. Vs ILSU in 2014 NDSU scored in the last minute to win 29-27. Both vs JMU saw JMU stopped in the NDSU red zone in the last minute. Sure you can say the better team that day won, but they were pretty evenly matched, at least the 2 vs JMU were. Certainly not as you put it ‘better by a significant degree’.

What you said probably applies to 6 of the previous 9:
2011 vs SHSU yes
2012 vs SHSH yes
2013 vs Towson yes
2014 vs ILSU no
2015 vs JSU yes
2017 vs JMU no
2018 vs EWU yes
2019 vs JMU no
2021 vs MTSU yes
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

This is the year that I have the least confidence in NDSU winning. If SDSU gets there running game going or hits there all American over the middle, it could be a long day for NDSU. The best chance for the Bison is to keep SDSUs offense off the field and get a bunch of turnovers when they are on the field.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:50 am These teams should just save the driving/flying, and play it in Minneapolis at the Metrodome, about 3 1/2 hrs mas/menos from Fargo and Brookings. Could probably get 40k there..
Right, dodging car jacking and riots.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Lack of chatter on here for an NC thread. Just looked up past 4 (fall/winter) NC threads to compare to this one, with the majority of the chatter occurring before the game.
2016 #4 JMU/YSU 148 replies.
2017 #1 JMU/#2 NDSU thread: 208 replies.
2018 #1 NDSU/#3 EWU 312 replies.
2019 #1 NDSU/#2 JMU 226 replies.
2021 #2 NDSU/#8 MTSU 92 replies.
2022 #1 SDSU/#2 NDSU 12 replies.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Usually, if a game doesn't involve Sac (or at least a Big Sky team), unless I have another connection to a school (like my position coach at Bethune-Cookman), I'm more likely to choose the underdog. But that's not really the case here. I'm SLIGHTLY leaning toward SD State, but otherwise, I couldn't care less. That said, I still stand by my previous statement that whoever wins this game is the REAL Division I National Champion....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote:This is the year that I have the least confidence in NDSU winning. If SDSU gets there running game going or hits there all American over the middle, it could be a long day for NDSU. The best chance for the Bison is to keep SDSUs offense off the field and get a bunch of turnovers when they are on the field.
My thoughts exactly.

If was placing bets on the game they would be for SDSU to win.

My heart still thinks NDSU can pull it out but it is a long shot.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Agree with this take. I think NDSU will find a way to scratch out another Natty.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:46 pm
Gil Dobie wrote:This is the year that I have the least confidence in NDSU winning. If SDSU gets there running game going or hits there all American over the middle, it could be a long day for NDSU. The best chance for the Bison is to keep SDSUs offense off the field and get a bunch of turnovers when they are on the field.
My thoughts exactly.

If was placing bets on the game they would be for SDSU to win.

My heart still thinks NDSU can pull it out but it is a long shot.
I hope the Bison can get fired up over the recent losing streak to bunnies, and pull this one out.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

This will be the only the third title game NDSU plays in where I won't be pulling for them to win. I pulled for Illinois State in 2014 and Eastern Washington in 2018. My wife's Dad lives in Bryant, South Dakota, 51 miles from South Dakota State. I remember stopping at a Subway in Brookings on the way to his home when my wife and I visited in 2021 and talking to some of the employees about how I thought they'd have gotten the national title if their quarterback hadn't gotten knocked out of the game on the first series vs. Sam Houston State.

BTW. once you head west out of Brookings there is a while lot of nowhere up there. We stayed in an old Church on his property (it's a Retreat) and I spent the whole time there trying to get near windows and turn my IPhone just right to get a couple of bars. IPhone hotspot was also the only way to get internet so I'd sometimes end up going outside to find a spot where I could get enough of a connection to do that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Game time, ready for some football.

These Bison fans are.

Championship Game-Bound College Football Fans Drank a Delta Flight Dry of Its Alcohol — in Two Hours
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Going to be a long day if the defense can't adjust.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote:Going to be a long day if the defense can't adjust.
And we knew that coming in.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

And we still can't tackle.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:14 pm
Gil Dobie wrote:Going to be a long day if the defense can't adjust.
And we knew that coming in.
Crowd noise helped at the dome.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

No one followed Janke on defense