Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Breakdown - Semifinal Week

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Playoffs/Celebration Bowl

MTST 18-39 SDKST
UIW 32-35 NDSU
JSU 34-41 NCCEN (OT) (in Atlanta, GA)

• Best Performance: (#1) South Dakota St. 39, (#4) Montana St. 18 - After giving up over 200 rushing yards to Matthew Sluka last week, the Jackrabbit defense makes a statement against the national rushing leaders by outgaining them 281-52 on the ground.

Worst Performance: Jackson St. 34, NC Central 41 (OT) - The Tigers give up 400+ yards in back-to-back games to close the season after allowing 300 yards just once prior to Thanksgiving.

Most Surprising Result: (#3) North Dakota St. 35, (#7) Incarnate Word 32 - The Bison allow 500+ yards for the first time in 6 years and still somehow find a way to win.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Breakdown - Semifinal Week

Post by SuperHornet »

While there were some officiating issues through all three games this week, the major problems seem to be exactly as you describe, Venus. I'd also add some clock management issues, particularly in the Celebration Bowl, both by the officials and especially egregious by His Neonness. As I noted in another thread, his late-game clock management performance evoked images of Jeff Saturday. There were some play-calling issues there, as I personally cannot stand the idea of the short fade route inside the opposing five, because there's not really enough room for a receiver to get open. Sure, in the case of Jackson State, the receiver was either held or outright interfered with (and it was missed), but I firmly believe, as I mentioned elsewhere, that a third down call of a double tight I formation (or even Power I) triple option, with the mobility of Shedeur Sanders, could not have been stopped. But people just can't stand to look old school these days.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I still can't believe Incarnate Word's coach decided to go for it on 4th an 4 on the with 5 minutes left instead of attempting what would have been a 39 yard field goal attempt that would have tied the game if it was good. Mind you their kicker was 8 of 10 on the year and looked really good nailing a 41 yarder earlier in the game.

I know Incarnate Word got 539 total yards. But I think that after the first two Incarnate Word Drives North Dakota State's defense settled in some and it wasn't like they were just completely helpless. And at that point North Dakota State had shown that it could run the football and the clock.

BTW, until a couple of days ago I didn't even realize that Lindsey Scott, Jr., played his high school ball at a high school...Zachary High...that is 20 miles from my house.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:22 pm I still can't believe Incarnate Word's coach decided to go for it on 4th an 4 on the with 5 minutes left instead of attempting what would have been a 39 yard field goal attempt that would have tied the game if it was good. Mind you their kicker was 8 of 10 on the year and looked really good nailing a 41 yarder earlier in the game.
I didn't really get that decision, either. I guess maybe Kinne was worried about NDSU grinding the ball into FG range and kicking a game-winner as time expired? I dunno…