Celebration Bowl - NC Central vs. Jackson St.

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Celebration Bowl - NC Central vs. Jackson St.

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

(Sat., 10:00 AM MST, ABC)

Spread - Tigers by 14
Sagarin - Tigers by 9
Massey - Tigers by 11
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Celebration Bowl - NC Central vs. Jackson St.

Post by SuperHornet »

After the circus, I wouldn't be surprised to see the upset here. Two weeks ago, this wouldn't even have entered my mind.

NC Central d. Jackson State 35-27

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:55 am After the circus, I wouldn't be surprised to see the upset here. Two weeks ago, this wouldn't even have entered my mind.

NC Central d. Jackson State 35-27
It's a possibility look out for WR Quentin McCall of NCCU 6-4 200 this game can be a obvious NFL AUDITION for him vs Travis Hunter.
Last edited by dal4018 on Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

i would love to have seen Jackson State in the playoffs. They may have even notched the first playoff win ever for a SWAC team. Probably not. But maybe.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:15 pm i would love to have seen Jackson State in the playoffs. They may have even notched the first playoff win ever for a SWAC team. Probably not. But maybe.
They had the stingiest pass defense in the FCS and I wished that they had gone up against Fordham University because they had the best passing attack in the FCS.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Tigers just scored 10-7
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Surprised to see Jackson start so slow, but once they got clicking, they've definitely made a game of it.

NC Central leads Jackson State 23-21 5:35 3Q

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Too early for Jackson to go point chasing. Should have kicked the PAT. SMH....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

First Quarter

NC Central: Olivo 32 FG 11:37 NC Central leads Jackson State 3-0
NC Central: Richard 4 run (Olivo kick) 6:28 NC Central leads Jackson State 10-0
Jackson State: Stevens 24 pass from Sanders (Mata kick) 6:28 NC Central leads Jackson State 10-7

Second Quarter

Jackson State: Coleman 15 pass from Sanders (Mata kick) 10:41 Jackson State leads NC Central 14-10
NC Central: Taylor 10 run (Olivo kick) 3:51 NC Central leads Jackson State 17-14
Jackson State: Sanders 7 run (Mata kick) 0:30 Jackson State leads NC Central 21-17

Third Quarter

NC Central: McCall 12 pass from Richard (kick failed) 5:45 NC Centralleads Jackson State 23-21
NC Central: Olivo 21 FG 0:23 NC Central leads Jackson State 26-21

Fourth Quarter

Jackson State: Hunter 18 pass from Sanders (pass failed) 11:25 Jackson State leads NC Central 27-26
NC Central: Collier 7 run (Richard pass from Hicks) 4:31 NC Central leads Jackson State 34-27
Jackson State: Hunter 19 pass from Sanders (Mata kick) 0:00 Jackson State tied with NC Central 34-34

Overtime

NC Central: Richard 1 run (Olivo kick) NC Central leads Jackson State 41-34
Last edited by SuperHornet on Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Devastation for Jackson State: give up easy TD run and 2pt to NC Central on the Philly Special, and DE gets tossed for a flagrant foul. SMH....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Poor clock management by His Neonness AND the zebras lead to a Jackson State TD with no time on the clock. This game is going to OT.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Richard draws first blood in overtime with a sneak from the one inch line. NC Central leads 41-34. His Neonness needs a TD to stay alive.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

TE drops sure TD pass on third down, and Sanders throws it away on fourth down. (The receiver was held up by the DB. PI COULD have been called, but they probably ruled it uncatchable.)

The undefeated dream ends with a thud.

dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:43 pm Richard draws first blood in overtime with a sneak from the one inch line. NC Central leads 41-34. His Neonness needs a TD to stay alive.
I thought Hunter was the hero when he made the catch but he sent it into OT.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:41 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:43 pm Richard draws first blood in overtime with a sneak from the one inch line. NC Central leads 41-34. His Neonness needs a TD to stay alive.
True.

Jackson had one last chance, and DPI or at least defensive holding could easily have been called because the DB held up the Jackson receiver from Sanders' fade pass. Personally, though, given Sanders' clear mobility, I would have lined up in a tight I on third down and run the triple option. I don't think there's any way NC Central would have kept Sanders out of the end zone....

One clear take-away: His Neonness had better study clock management a bit more during the off-season. He looked like Jeff Saturday out there....

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well...I guess the ''probably not'' on Jackson State winning a playoff game if they'd been in the tournament looks true.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:42 pm Well...I guess the ''probably not'' on Jackson State winning a playoff game if they'd been in the tournament looks true.
NCCU beat UNH at UNH, easier than they beat Jackson St, so you never know for sure.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:24 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:42 pm Well...I guess the ''probably not'' on Jackson State winning a playoff game if they'd been in the tournament looks true.
NCCU beat UNH at UNH, easier than they beat Jackson St, so you never know for sure.
They had a much harder schedule than JSU and I was hoping that Deion was going to say yes to the offer to play NDSU but he back out.That would have been a major plum on his coaching resume.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:55 pm
dal4018 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:41 pm

True.

Jackson had one last chance, and DPI or at least defensive holding could easily have been called because the DB held up the Jackson receiver from Sanders' fade pass. Personally, though, given Sanders' clear mobility, I would have lined up in a tight I on third down and run the triple option. I don't think there's any way NC Central would have kept Sanders out of the end zone....

One clear take-away: His Neonness had better study clock management a bit more during the off-season. He looked like Jeff Saturday out there....
That TE for JSU had to be the sickest man in the state of Mississippi
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:50 pm TE drops sure TD pass on third down, and Sanders throws it away on fourth down. (The receiver was held up by the DB. PI COULD have been called, but they probably ruled it uncatchable.)

Wonder what the team said to him after the game.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:34 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:50 pm TE drops sure TD pass on third down, and Sanders throws it away on fourth down. (The receiver was held up by the DB. PI COULD have been called, but they probably ruled it uncatchable.)

Same as Jackie Smith when he dropped a pass to the numbers in the Super Bowl for Dallas.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:59 am
dal4018 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:34 am

Same as Jackie Smith when he dropped a pass to the numbers in the Super Bowl for Dallas.
God bless his heart because he has to be the sickest man in America