Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: QF - (#7) Incarnate Word @ (#2) Sac State

Post by BDKJMU »

I’ve seen a lot of shootouts, but that may have been the worst display of defense by both teams I have ever witnessed in 40+ years of watching football. 1,317 yards of total offense. Both defensive coordinators should be fired.

And NDSU yet again escapes having to go on the road during the playoffs.. They are going to destroy IW.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 am NDSU yet again escapes having to go on the road during the playoffs.. They are going to destroy IW.
Exactly. We’re looking at another NDSU vs. SDSU if MSU can’t pull an upset on the road.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Anyway, congrats SD amd SH on Sac’s great season. I know losing in the playoffs as a Top 3 seed BLOWS, esp in close would have/should have/could have games that you felt you should have won. In the last 5 seasons experienced it 4x, twice in semis amd twice in Frisco. And at least 2, maybe 3 of those losses, like Sac last night, had horrendous clock management at the end of the half or game as well.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 am I’ve seen a lot of shootouts, but that may have been the worst display of defense by both teams I have ever witnessed in 40+ years of watching football. 1,317 yards of total offense. Both defensive coordinators should be fired.

And NDSU yet again escapes having to go on the road during the playoffs.. They are going to destroy IW.
I wrote on an on line blog by a guy who thinks Incarnate Word's offense is just completely unstoppable that, if they got by Sac State, they'd almost certainly have to go to North Dakota State and North Dakota State will shut them down. That was after I watched Furman figure Incarnate Word out in the second half and pretty much shut the Cardinal offense down after giving up over 400 yards in the first half.

After watching the first half of the Incarnate Word at Sacramento State game last night, I'm not as confident of that. Also wondering about the North Dakota State injury situation. Part of their great defense is their ball control offense that keeps the other offense off the field. I didn't realize their stud fullback is out and now they lost their big tailback. Also they looked kind of mortal on defense after Samford started playing their #1 quarterback. They had some problems with his ability to move and throw on the run. Also saw them have problems with Arizona's mobile quarterback earlier this year.

Should be interesting.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

On the game itself: Very disappointing for Sacramento State. Even with their defense absolutely horrible they should have won that game. How do you get flipping 49 first downs with 738 yards of offense and lose? I mean come ON. Part of the story is being -4 in the giveaway/takeaway stat.

I turned it off at halftime because I thought Sacramento State had already lost the game with that sequence of three possessions where the back dropped a walk in touchdown pass so they had to settle for a field goal then they turned the ball over on the next two possessions. Incarnate Word could not stop them at all but they found ways to stop themselves.

Also I have no idea why Sacramento State plays both of their quarterbacks. They are clearly better when their "running" quarterback is in the game. The other guy makes stupid plays. Yes the "running" quarterback had a fumble where he was hit while he was trying to throw the ball but the "passing" quarterback had some really stupid interceptions. And I looked up his season stats and saw that he had 15 interceptions to 19 TDs for the year.

49 first downs. I don't know if I've ever seen anybody get 49 first downs before. How do you do that and lose?
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:14 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 am I’ve seen a lot of shootouts, but that may have been the worst display of defense by both teams I have ever witnessed in 40+ years of watching football. 1,317 yards of total offense. Both defensive coordinators should be fired.

I wrote on an on line blog by a guy who thinks Incarnate Word's offense is just completely unstoppable that, if they got by Sac State, they'd almost certainly have to go to North Dakota State and North Dakota State will shut them down. That was after I watched Furman figure Incarnate Word out in the second half and pretty much shut the Cardinal offense down after giving up over 400 yards in the first half.

After watching the first half of the Incarnate Word at Sacramento State game last night, I'm not as confident of that. Also wondering about the North Dakota State injury situation. Part of their great defense is their ball control offense that keeps the other offense off the field. I didn't realize their stud fullback is out and now they lost their big tailback. Also they looked kind of mortal on defense after Samford started playing their #1 quarterback. They had some problems with his ability to move and throw on the run. Also saw them have problems with Arizona's mobile quarterback earlier this year.

Should be interesting.
Samford moved it very well when NDSU went into prevent defense.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

What a game. I've never been to anything quite like this one. Wow. Hornets were just one play short. Hell of a season. :clap:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:25 am
uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:32 am Why the fuck wouldn't you call timeout there??????
Worse clock management at the end of the game there I have ever seen. With 15 or 17? seconds left let the clock run down to 5 seconds without using 1 of your 2 timeouts? :suspicious: :dunce:
Horrific. He made the same mistake at the end of the montucky game. We have a great kicker, he calls a TO and I think we would have sent it to OT.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:24 pm On the game itself: Very disappointing for Sacramento State. Even with their defense absolutely horrible they should have won that game. How do you get flipping 49 first downs with 738 yards of offense and lose? I mean come ON. Part of the story is being -4 in the giveaway/takeaway stat.

I turned it off at halftime because I thought Sacramento State had already lost the game with that sequence of three possessions where the back dropped a walk in touchdown pass so they had to settle for a field goal then they turned the ball over on the next two possessions. Incarnate Word could not stop them at all but they found ways to stop themselves.

Also I have no idea why Sacramento State plays both of their quarterbacks. They are clearly better when their "running" quarterback is in the game. The other guy makes stupid plays. Yes the "running" quarterback had a fumble where he was hit while he was trying to throw the ball but the "passing" quarterback had some really stupid interceptions. And I looked up his season stats and saw that he had 15 interceptions to 19 TDs for the year.

49 first downs. I don't know if I've ever seen anybody get 49 first downs before. How do you do that and lose?
The 2 QB system worked great for us the last 2 seasons and netted us 2 BSC championships on top of the one from 2019. Clearly Taylor knew what he was doing.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:26 am Anyway, congrats SD amd SH on Sac’s great season. I know losing in the playoffs as a Top 3 seed BLOWS, esp in close would have/should have/could have games that you felt you should have won. In the last 5 seasons experienced it 4x, twice in semis amd twice in Frisco. And at least 2, maybe 3 of those losses, like Sac last night, had horrendous clock management at the end of the half or game as well.
It was a great run. UIW has the best offense in the BSC, no shame in our loss. Sure we could have won, we could have also been boat raced had we not gotten those 2 onside kicks.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:36 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:26 am Anyway, congrats SD amd SH on Sac’s great season. I know losing in the playoffs as a Top 3 seed BLOWS, esp in close would have/should have/could have games that you felt you should have won. In the last 5 seasons experienced it 4x, twice in semis amd twice in Frisco. And at least 2, maybe 3 of those losses, like Sac last night, had horrendous clock management at the end of the half or game as well.
It was a great run. UIW has the best offense in the BSC, no shame in our loss. Sure we could have won, we could have also been boat raced had we not gotten those 2 onside kicks.
All other things aside, it's hard to win against a team that is anywhere close to you in caliber when you are -4 in the giveaway/takeaway stat.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:34 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:24 pm On the game itself: Very disappointing for Sacramento State. Even with their defense absolutely horrible they should have won that game. How do you get flipping 49 first downs with 738 yards of offense and lose? I mean come ON. Part of the story is being -4 in the giveaway/takeaway stat.

The 2 QB system worked great for us the last 2 seasons and netted us 2 BSC championships on top of the one from 2019. Clearly Taylor knew what he was doing.
Well, they almost won the game in spite of being -4 in the takeaway/giveaway stat so that's something. And they did put up over 700 yards and 63 points.

But, for the season, one quarterback had a 59 percent completion rate, one touchdown pass for every 17 attempts, and one interception for every 21 attempts. The other guy had a 73 percent completion rate, one touchdown pass for every 10 attempts, and 0 interceptions in 111 attempts. That last one, to me, is the one that really makes me wonder. And he went into the game with 17 touchdowns vs. 13 interceptions. That is a horrible ratio. The first guy was clearly prone to throwing interceptions.
Could I ever be a star?

uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

Skattegone

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

uofmman1122 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:39 pm Skattegone

He has nothing left to prove at the FCS level. He should garner a P4 job.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:28 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:39 pm Skattegone

He has nothing left to prove at the FCS level. He should garner a P4 job.
Absolutely. He's the type of guy that can wreak havoc in a the Pac 12.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The next Christian Mccaffrey?