kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

FAMU coach and “Bias” in Playoff Selection

Post by kalm »

“Look at what we did the last three seasons.”

(Got blown out against decent competition like SELA?”)

FAMU’s plight was mentioned as unfair by several playoff TV guys this passed weekend too. There are dozens of people on this CS and AGS alone who understand selection metrics better than this coach and ESPN.

uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Re: FAMU coach and “Bias” in Playoff Selection

Post by uofmman1122 »

He's not wrong that there's bias, but it's bias towards teams and conferences that have shown they can actually compete in the playoffs.

If you replaced Montana with FAMU, is there anyone that doesn't think they get blown out playing SEMO, even at home? They got it right putting Delaware and Montana in over the other bubble teams.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

uofmman1122 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:22 am He's not wrong that there's bias, but it's bias towards teams and conferences that have shown they can actually compete in the playoffs.

If you replaced Montana with FAMU, is there anyone that doesn't think they get blown out playing SEMO, even at home? They got it right putting Delaware and Montana in over the other bubble teams.
As the saying goes that the conference is only as good as the weakest link right now Jackson St is carrying the SWAC and I wished that the Tigers were going to be in the FCS PLAYOFFS but they are thinking about the Celebration Bowl.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:22 am He's not wrong that there's bias, but it's bias towards teams and conferences that have shown they can actually compete in the playoffs.

As the saying goes that the conference is only as good as the weakest link right now Jackson St is carrying the SWAC and I wished that the Tigers were going to be in the FCS PLAYOFFS but they are thinking about the Celebration Bowl.
And let's be honest, if Jackson St was in the playoffs they'd likely be adding to what's been a long and unsuccessful story of SWAC teams playing in the playoffs (even in these watered down playoffs). Jackson St is doing what's good for them - they're getting publicity, they're making a boat load of money, and they don't have to be challenged on the field. Students are happy, alums are happy, and like I said, they're pretty profitable. There's nothing to be gained for Jackson St getting rolled in the FCS playoffs so why bother?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

That's subjective. Good arguments could be made for Mercer, Chattanooga, UC Davis, Rhode Island and Youngstown State.

I don't have an issue with the committee selecting Montana and Delaware but it was not a cut and dried decision.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:23 am

That's subjective. Good arguments could be made for Mercer, Chattanooga, UC Davis, Rhode Island and Youngstown State.

I don't have an issue with the committee selecting Montana and Delaware but it was not a cut and dried decision.
The selection process is almost never objective when it comes to the last teams in, but both Montana and Delaware proved they belonged this last weekend by beating two conference champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

uofmman1122 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:36 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:23 am

The selection process is almost never objective when it comes to the last teams in, but both Montana and Delaware proved they belonged this last weekend by beating two conference champions.
We don't know that Mercer, Chattanooga, UC Davis, Rhode Island or Youngstown State wouldn't have proven that they belonged.

We also don't know what would have happened if the entire field was seeded and Montana and Delaware would have had to play on the road.

Personally, I'd rather see the field at 16 or 20 and then Montana or Delaware wouldn't have made the cut.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

This committee did a few things different. How often does the team with the low bid, get the home game as BBQ did? And then they get accused of adding Montana and Delaware because of the money.

UND's bid guaranteed the NCAA $127,500. Weber State's bid guaranteed $41,683.50. The FCS Playoff Committee put the game at Weber State anyway, a decision that irked UND athletic director Bill Chaves and Missouri Valley Football Conference commissioner Patty Viverito.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:18 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:36 pm
We don't know that Mercer, Chattanooga, UC Davis, Rhode Island or Youngstown State wouldn't have proven that they belonged.

We also don't know what would have happened if the entire field was seeded and Montana and Delaware would have had to play on the road.

Personally, I'd rather see the field at 16 or 20 and then Montana or Delaware wouldn't have made the cut.
That's true, but we saw the games and definitely know the other two did belong.

And if you want to cut the field down, it sure sounds like the better argument is that the NEC and OVC champs shouldn't be in over the 5th Big Sky and CAA teams.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:04 pm This committee did a few things different. How often does the team with the low bid, get the home game as BBQ did? And then they get accused of adding Montana and Delaware because of the money.

UND's bid guaranteed the NCAA $127,500. Weber State's bid guaranteed $41,683.50. The FCS Playoff Committee put the game at Weber State anyway, a decision that irked UND athletic director Bill Chaves and Missouri Valley Football Conference commissioner Patty Viverito.
It's consistent if you view it as the committee favoring teams it thought were better (which IMO is extremely weird in the Weber-UND case because they haven't really done that before re: hosting first round games).
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:14 am
dal4018 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm As the saying goes that the conference is only as good as the weakest link right now Jackson St is carrying the SWAC and I wished that the Tigers were going to be in the FCS PLAYOFFS but they are thinking about the Celebration Bowl.
And let's be honest, if Jackson St was in the playoffs they'd likely be adding to what's been a long and unsuccessful story of SWAC teams playing in the playoffs (even in these watered down playoffs). Jackson St is doing what's good for them - they're getting publicity, they're making a boat load of money, and they don't have to be challenged on the field. Students are happy, alums are happy, and like I said, they're pretty profitable. There's nothing to be gained for Jackson St getting rolled in the FCS playoffs so why bother?
He is recruiting all this talent and they are playing against no one what is going to happen when they meet up against players of equal or superior talent in the NFL.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

dal4018 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm As the saying goes that the conference is only as good as the weakest link right now Jackson St is carrying the SWAC and I wished that the Tigers were going to be in the FCS PLAYOFFS but they are thinking about the Celebration Bowl.
I want to see what they do against the cream of the crop in the FCS they were recruiting all this talent and not playing against the best it's a waist.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Xavier Smith of FAMU ran a blazing time of 4.36 at the HBCU COMBINE.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I wonder if this would even be an issue if the SWAC and MEAC would accept their auto-bids. They're available for the asking. Heck, I'd love to see the Ivy League involved, too....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:41 pm I wonder if this would even be an issue if the SWAC and MEAC would accept their auto-bids. They're available for the asking. Heck, I'd love to see the Ivy League involved, too....
I have been saying this as well
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:19 pm

I want to see what they do against the cream of the crop in the FCS they were recruiting all this talent and not playing against the best it's a waist.
Then make themselves eligible for the playoffs and find out. If they don't want to do that, then schedule some decent teams during the regular season. This isn't FBS, the bigger names in FCS, generally, will play a home and home series with a team like Jackson St if they want. Nothing is stopping them from doing this other than their desire to do so, and, like I said, foregoing potentially more lucrative, albeit less competitive games, with their current postseason options.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:30 am
dal4018 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:19 pm

Then make themselves eligible for the playoffs and find out. If they don't want to do that, then schedule some decent teams during the regular season. This isn't FBS, the bigger names in FCS, generally, will play a home and home series with a team like Jackson St if they want. Nothing is stopping them from doing this other than their desire to do so, and, like I said, foregoing potentially more lucrative, albeit less competitive games, with their current postseason options.
Deion at the time had a chance to play North Dakota St instead turned down the idea it would have been a perfect chance to play against the cream of the crop in the FCS.
GAD_SU
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern U.
A.K.A.: GAD

Post by GAD_SU »

Jackson State has no reason to play ooc games away from the Vet
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

GAD_SU wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:36 pm Jackson State has no reason to play ooc games away from the Vet
Then that, coupled with their decision not to participate in the FCS playoffs, keeps them in a spot where they never really get to play the best teams in FCS. You can get FCS teams that don't require a home and home to play at your venue, but they're not going to be the upper echelon of FCS. Same with the playoffs, if you don't play in them, there's a whole group of teams you'll never play. JSU is more than welcome to do what they are doing - it makes perfect sense from a financial standpoint. It will diminish how good they are nationally because we'll never see it on the field, but it's been clear that's not the major focus for their program.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:55 pm
GAD_SU wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:36 pm Jackson State has no reason to play ooc games away from the Vet
Then that, coupled with their decision not to participate in the FCS playoffs, keeps them in a spot where they never really get to play the best teams in FCS. You can get FCS teams that don't require a home and home to play at your venue, but they're not going to be the upper echelon of FCS. Same with the playoffs, if you don't play in them, there's a whole group of teams you'll never play. JSU is more than welcome to do what they are doing - it makes perfect sense from a financial standpoint. It will diminish how good they are nationally because we'll never see it on the field, but it's been clear that's not the major focus for their program.
I still want to see them vs the big names in the FCS they always play against teams in the SWAC let's see what they do vs outside the SWAC they just barely beat Campbell.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:55 pm

I still want to see them vs the big names in the FCS they always play against teams in the SWAC let's see what they do vs outside the SWAC they just barely beat Campbell.
Plenty of big names in FCS would play them in a home and home. NDSU has never been shy about travelling to play teams as long as it's a two game deal and there's a return trip to Fargo. Plenty of other big name teams in FCS would do that as well. The teams in FCS that will be open to just a one game deal at JSU are not really the better teams in FCS. It's the price of just looking for home games only.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:04 am
dal4018 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:34 am

Plenty of big names in FCS would play them in a home and home. NDSU has never been shy about travelling to play teams as long as it's a two game deal and there's a return trip to Fargo. Plenty of other big name teams in FCS would do that as well. The teams in FCS that will be open to just a one game deal at JSU are not really the better teams in FCS. It's the price of just looking for home games only.
Never said they were I wanted JSU to take a bite of the big apple and Deion said no thanks.