Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Bobby Petrino Bolts from Missouri State

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:28 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:45 am He's leaving to be the OC at a crappy mid-major. :?

Bobby Petrino in Sin City? :lol:
Petrino didn't stay in Lost Wages long. He's since been lured to TX A&M. Lots of angst flowing from that....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

CCSU Finally Hires a New Coach

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

The Blue Devils went with Adam Lechtenberg, thus filling out all open FCS head-coaching jobs. Lechtenberg was the assistant head coach at DII Central Oklahoma this past season, and was the RB coach at Virginia Tech for a while before that. He was also the co-OC at CCSU from 2010-11.

https://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball ... 0111c9niro
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2022-23 Coaching Change Thread

Post by kalm »

Ed Reed is not very happy about the conditions at BC

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

kalm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am Ed Reed is not very happy about the conditions at BC

Ed Reed needs to get out while he can. Deion set the tone, but the SWAC & MEAC have a bigger, more specific problem. A university has to be READY for a HOF to coach at your program, and I think most SWAC & MEAC schools aren’t there yet. Ed Reed (and other HOF coaches) can’t just walk in the door and expect a developed Power 5 program, that’s like walking into Pocatello or Youngstown and expecting the world. Do they deserve NFL legends/great coaches? Of course, I’m hoping this helps correct the REAL issues haunting D1 HBCU programs.

Deion Sanders pretty much volunteered at Jackson State, and he did it for the right reasons. He built from scratch, there were no expectations. A friend of mine was on a basketball scholarship at (a MEAC team) and told me on road basketball trips, the coaches would give them $5 to “find something to eat” for dinner.

If Ed Reed does stay at BC, I hope he’s there to BUILD.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDSU coach Stieg retires on top.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:54 pm SDSU coach Stieg retires on top.
Defensive coordinator Jimmy Rogers will replace him.

https://gojacks.com/news/2023/1/19/foot ... ement.aspx
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Sounds like SDSU might be a better overall program than NDSU.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:35 am
Sounds like SDSU might be a better overall program than NDSU.
Right now they are.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Ed Reed's Contract Rejected

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Bethune-Cookman would not ratify his contract, so they'll have to search for a new coach.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -contract/
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: Ed Reed's Contract Rejected

Post by SuperHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:50 pm Bethune-Cookman would not ratify his contract, so they'll have to search for a new coach.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -contract/
I wouldn't be surprised if they were embarrassed about his video post. Bad move by the school, IMO....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BlackFalkin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:57 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am Ed Reed is not very happy about the conditions at BC
Ed Reed needs to get out while he can. Deion set the tone, but the SWAC & MEAC have a bigger, more specific problem. A university has to be READY for a HOF to coach at your program, and I think most SWAC & MEAC schools aren’t there yet. Ed Reed (and other HOF coaches) can’t just walk in the door and expect a developed Power 5 program, that’s like walking into Pocatello or Youngstown and expecting the world. Do they deserve NFL legends/great coaches? Of course, I’m hoping this helps correct the REAL issues haunting D1 HBCU programs.

Deion Sanders pretty much volunteered at Jackson State, and he did it for the right reasons. He built from scratch, there were no expectations. A friend of mine was on a basketball scholarship at (a MEAC team) and told me on road basketball trips, the coaches would give them $5 to “find something to eat” for dinner.

If Ed Reed does stay at BC, I hope he’s there to BUILD.
:nod: Legends like Reed can be part of the solution, helping solve the "REAL issues haunting D1 HBCU programs" if they're willing to put in the time and effort like Deon and Eddie George have.

Ed Reed missed the mark and the mission ... 38663.html
'He didn't understand exactly what he was getting himself into,' Eddie George said of Reed.
The thing is, Reed likely would've gotten improvements for the football facilities — and possibly beyond — in time. Surely he has deep-pocketed connections and corporate acquaintances who could've helped, as Reed's friend and apparent inspiration Deion Sanders got Walmart to do, with the retail behemoth building Jackson State a new practice field when he was coaching the Tigers.

But you can't go in guns blazing, with what looks like a savior complex, and expect the institute to genuflect and make immediate changes. It's unclear whether Reed did his homework before pursuing the job at BCU and truly understood the realities of what he was entering into, but all evidence points to him being unaware.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

There's word out that perhaps this WAS mere discontent by the board. The student body has known about what Reed was complaining about for years, apparently, and they've started a petition to bring Reed back.

I guess that while he clearly went about it in a poor fashion, he truly was trying to do the right thing by the student body. But when you show people up like he did, of course, the powers that be will be vindictive. I have no idea if the petition idea will work, but I hope for the sake of the student body the board at least listens to them with an open mind....

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bison Hire Petrino from SIU, as DC, replacing Braun who left for the B1G Northwestern.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

BCU Goes with Raymond Woodie

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

With the dust settled from the Ed Reed debacle, Bethune-Cookman has hired FAU recruiting coordinator Raymond Woodie Jr. to be their next head coach. He's also been a position coach at a few other FBS schools. Woodie was a I-AA All American while playing for BCU in the '90s.

https://bcuathletics.com/news/2023/2/5/ ... coach.aspx
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: BCU Goes with Raymond Woodie

Post by SuperHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:20 pm With the dust settled from the Ed Reed debacle, Bethune-Cookman has hired FAU recruiting coordinator Raymond Woodie Jr. to be their next head coach. He's also been a position coach at a few other FBS schools. Woodie was a I-AA All American while playing for BCU in the '90s.

https://bcuathletics.com/news/2023/2/5/ ... coach.aspx
Obviously, they chose to ignore the student body and hope that the hire of an alum will hush them up. I wouldn't be surprised if the student body were to go on strike....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

My UOP position coach, Mike Canales, was OC for Bethune-Cookman last year. I guess it wasn't meant for him to stick around with the HC change as he's done before. B-C still lists Coach Canales as OC, but they're notoriously slow on the uptake. Coach Canales signed with Southeastern University (NAIA The Sun Conference) of Lakeland, FL. Southeastern is a faith-based school (as are many NAIA schools) affiliated with the Assemblies of God (with whom I hold a ministerial credential). As far as I'm concerned, Coach Canales is NCAA D-I material, so I'm not sure why he's taken such a drop.

https://fire.seu.edu/news/2023/3/6/cana ... staff.aspx

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:21 pm My UOP position coach, Mike Canales, was OC for Bethune-Cookman last year. I guess it wasn't meant for him to stick around with the HC change as he's done before. B-C still lists Coach Canales as OC, but they're notoriously slow on the uptake. Coach Canales signed with Southeastern University (NAIA The Sun Conference) of Lakeland, FL. Southeastern is a faith-based school (as are many NAIA schools) affiliated with the Assemblies of God (with whom I hold a ministerial credential). As far as I'm concerned, Coach Canales is NCAA D-I material, so I'm not sure why he's taken such a drop.

:suspicious: Should we call you reverend?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:56 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:21 pm My UOP position coach, Mike Canales, was OC for Bethune-Cookman last year. I guess it wasn't meant for him to stick around with the HC change as he's done before. B-C still lists Coach Canales as OC, but they're notoriously slow on the uptake. Coach Canales signed with Southeastern University (NAIA The Sun Conference) of Lakeland, FL. Southeastern is a faith-based school (as are many NAIA schools) affiliated with the Assemblies of God (with whom I hold a ministerial credential). As far as I'm concerned, Coach Canales is NCAA D-I material, so I'm not sure why he's taken such a drop.

You can. It's appropriate. But in this context, SH or Casey is sufficient.

;)

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:15 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:56 pm

;)
Or Klinger?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:12 am
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:15 pm

;)
Or Klinger?
:rofl:

I was Navy, not Army....

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:12 am Or Klinger?
:rofl:

I was Navy, not Army....
BDK was projecting. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

As SH posted in another thread, Dale Lindsey was forced to retire at San Diego earlier this week. Lindsey went 80-30 in 10 seasons with the Toreros. He went 61-8 in PFL play, won 7 conference titles, made 5 FCS playoff appearances, and won 2 playoff games over unsuspecting Big Sky teams (the PFL's only 2 playoff wins). Prior to San Diego, Lindsey spent the vast majority of his career as an NFL position coach. He was also the defensive coordinator for the Chargers during Marty Schottenheimer's first two seasons as the head coach.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:05 pm As SH posted in another thread, Dale Lindsey was forced to retire at San Diego earlier this week. Lindsey went 80-30 in 10 seasons with the Toreros. He went 61-8 in PFL play, won 7 conference titles, made 5 FCS playoff appearances, and won 2 playoff games over unsuspecting Big Sky teams (the PFL's only 2 playoff wins). Prior to San Diego, Lindsey spent the vast majority of his career as an NFL position coach. He was also the defensive coordinator for the Chargers during Marty Schottenheimer's first two seasons as the head coach.
As Lindsey himself notes, they can certainly fire him (although it sounds like there's no legitimate rationale for that other than the Athletic Director's own ego, because Lindsey doesn't appear to be senile), but they can't force him to retire. Another school could easily hire him, and there's not a stinking thing USD can do about it....