Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-5

Post by JALMOND »

The first game is in the books for all the Big Sky teams and the quest for the conference title and AC berth in the playoffs has begun. Most of the games went according to form, except for Northern Colorado. This week's games will be a little more challenging. Sacramento State, though, will be sitting this week out. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. On to week 2.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week, beat McNeese State (Southland) at home, 40-17. This week, Morehead State (Pioneer) at home---The Bobcats hold on to the top spot due to their strong win at home last week. Perhaps more of the same this week as a relatively easier opponent comes knocking.

2. Montana (3)---Last week, beat Northwestern State (Southland) at home, 47-0. This week, South Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home---Questions about the offense? Forget it. The Grizzlies dominated on both sides and got a strong home win. The Missouri Valley comes calling this week.

3. Sacramento State (2)---Last week, beat Utah Tech (WAC) at home, 56-33. This week, bye---The home opener for the Hornets after their strong season last year and they did not disappoint in getting the win. They take this week off to prepare for a Missouri Valley game on the road.

4. UC Davis (5)---Last week, lost at California (FBS Pac-12), 34-13. This week, at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley)---The Aggies got the first score in their game against their Pac-12 cohorts, then lost traction. They return to the FCS, but things don't get easy for them.

5. Weber State (6)---Last week, beat Western Oregon (DII) at home, 41-5. This week, at Utah State (FBS Mtn West)---It was business as usual for the Wildcats last week, taking down a lower division foe. They take the short trip into the FBS to face a team that got pounded by Alabama.

6. Eastern Washington (4)---Last week, beat Tennessee State (Ohio Valley) at home, 36-29. This week, at Oregon (FBS Pac-12)---The Eagles did get a win at home last week in a game that was closer than expected. Now they go on the road to face an FBS team that got pounded by Georgia.

7. Idaho (8)---Last week, lost at Washington State (FBS Pac-12), 24-17. This week, at Indiana (FBS Big 10)---The Vandals took the short trip just across the border and threw a scare into their Pac-12 opponent. Can they do the same against the Big 10 and a much longer road trip?

8. Portland State (9)---Last week, lost at San Jose State (FBS Mtn West), 21-17. This week, at Washington (FBS Pac-12)---The Vikings snuffed out two short drives to try to get an FBS scalp, but the third short drive is what did them in. Now they move up to the Power 5 for a tough game.

9. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week, lost at Arizona State (FBS Pac-12), 40-3. This week, at Sam Houston (WAC)---Maybe it was the step up to the Pac-12 but the Lumberjacks could not get anything on either side of the ball. They return to the FCS, but a tough game awaits.

10. Cal Poly (11)---Last week, lost at Fresno State (FBS Mtn West), 35-7. This week, San Diego (Pioneer) at home---After spotting an FBS team 21 points, the Mustangs buckled down and played some good football the rest of the game. They return home for a game against the FCS.

11. Idaho State (12)---Last week, lost at UNLV (FBS Mtn West), 52-21. This week, at San Diego State (FBS Mtn West)---With the exception of one bad quarter, the Bengals played their Mtn West opponent pretty even. They stay in the Mtn West this weekend, having two weeks to prepare this time.

12. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week, lost at home to Houston Baptist (Southland), 46-34. This week, at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West)---Ugly and not competitive can best describe the Bears game. They have to move on and play up a level this week, but it is a short trip.

RECAP: 1-6 contenders still, 7-9 possible, 10-12 slipping.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-5

Post by AZGrizFan »

Is your assumption that McNeese is just that much better than NWSU? Because the games weren’t remotely the same as far as dominance goes….the MSU/McNeese game was tied until 34 seconds left in the first half. McNeese put up almost 160 yards rushing against MSU.

Another interesting tidbit: Mellott had 48 yards rushing in 16 carries. With a long of 48. Which means on the OTHER 15 carries he totaled a MINUS 4 yards. Woof. That ain’t gonna get it done from a QB whose “strength” is his running ability against top end competition.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I WANT to say you're wrong in flip-flopping Montana and Sac...but I can't. Apparently, we have defensive issues (at least, it appears that we did against Dixie), but the Griz don't.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

My best guess:

1. Montana
2. Sac State
3. MT State
4. EWU
5. BBQ
6. Portland State
7. UC Davis
8. Idaho
9. Cow Poly
10. NAU
11. ID State
12. N. Colorado

I expect that there will be massive movement from about 6 on back in the next couple of weeks....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.