Total votes: 15

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

DOES NDSU REPEAT? 👀

Post by BlackFalkin »

Who you got and why?

I think someone comes through and plays the Bison tough enough. A new champion emerges..

…hopefully :?
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: DOES NDSU REPEAT? 👀

Post by SuperHornet »

Here is your winner...and NEW NCAA Division I Heavyweight Champion of the world: Sacramento State!!!!!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

They have a good chance if they stay healthy.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 pm Here is your winner...and NEW NCAA Division I Heavyweight Champion of the world: Sacramento State!!!!!
Try getting out of the first round first. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:21 am They have a good chance if they stay healthy.
Sacramento State better realize the opportunity if they get the chance, Eastern was the only team I've seen stand up and say "NO" to the Bison when it counted, back in 2010. Im going to actually follow and watch a couple Bison games this season, there's got to be a secret to chopping down that tree.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Yes, they repeat.
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BlackFalkin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:08 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:21 am They have a good chance if they stay healthy.
Sacramento State better realize the opportunity if they get the chance, Eastern was the only team I've seen stand up and say "NO" to the Bison when it counted, back in 2010. Im going to actually follow and watch a couple Bison games this season, there's got to be a secret to chopping down that tree.
You must have been hibernating the last 6 years, because 2 other teams ‘stood up and said No when it counted’, JMU (2016) and SHSU (Spring 2021).

And to answer the question, yes. The above last 2 to beat NDSU in the playoffs are now moved up, and JMU was the only team who was even close last yr in the playoffs.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I was at the gym aboard the Marine base here in 29 Palms, and there was a guy a few step machines down from me wearing a JMU sweatshirt. I was impressed, though why he was wearing a sweatshirt in the middle of August in 29 Palms (albeit before 0600) is beyond me.

(Yesterday, I also saw a guy in a Shippensburg (D-II) shirt at our local doughnut shop, The Jelly Donut. They also make some pretty good pho and ramen.)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I voted "no" only because...well it has to be someone else eventually, right?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:24 pm I voted "no" only because...well it has to be someone else eventually, right?
Exactly. And I'll tell you exactly who it's going to be.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:37 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:24 pm I voted "no" only because...well it has to be someone else eventually, right?
Exactly. And I'll tell you exactly who it's going to be.

We'll see. If we can beat UNI on the road (I have that as an L) then I'll start to think we have a legit chance.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Too bad James Madison is moving up they would be my personal favorite.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:00 pm I was at the gym aboard the Marine base here in 29 Palms, and there was a guy a few step machines down from me wearing a JMU sweatshirt. I was impressed, though why he was wearing a sweatshirt in the middle of August in 29 Palms (albeit before 0600) is beyond me.

(Yesterday, I also saw a guy in a Shippensburg (D-II) shirt at our local doughnut shop, The Jelly Donut. They also make some pretty good pho and ramen.)
Could have also put this in the Sunbelt thread, as the meat of the ESPN article from 2 weeks ago is about JMU’s moveup, but also the beginning and the end it talks about NDSU’s dominance, why they haven’t/aren’t moving up, and the watering down of FCS. Anyway, more relevant to this thread than a random guy at a gym in a JMU sweatshirt.
James Madison's jump, North Dakota State's reign and the FBS vs. FCS conundrum
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -conundrum
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:15 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:00 pm I was at the gym aboard the Marine base here in 29 Palms, and there was a guy a few step machines down from me wearing a JMU sweatshirt. I was impressed, though why he was wearing a sweatshirt in the middle of August in 29 Palms (albeit before 0600) is beyond me.

Could have also put this in the Sunbelt thread, as the meat of the ESPN article from 2 weeks ago is about JMU’s moveup, but also the beginning and the end it talks about NDSU’s dominance, why they haven’t/aren’t moving up, and the watering down of FCS. Anyway, more relevant to this thread than a random guy at a gym in a JMU sweatshirt.
Your guy keeps talking about how great it is to be located on the east coast, and how the Sun Belt provides tons of benefits including cost reductions for team travel. How’s that when 1/3 of the conference is located 1,000 miles away from JMU’s campus?

JMU - Texas State — 1,420 miles
JMU - Louisana — 1,067 miles
JMU - UL Monroe — 965 miles
JMU - Southern Miss — 845 miles
JMU - Arkansas State — 816 miles

This wasn’t some great achievement by JMU, and JMU hasn’t had NDSU level success, so the comparison isn’t real. This is JMU’s justification for joining FBS, and joining the Sun Belt Conference. The truth is, there is no real reason for JMU to move up to FBS, it’s an ego trip. Just like there was no real reason for App State, Coastal, Georgia Southern, ODU, Liberty and Texas State to move up to FBS. There’s no comparable ticket demand to justify building G5 level facilities, there are no comparable fans bases to consistently fill said facilities, and there were no lack of FBS programs, forcing G5 and P5 conferences to extend invites to FCS programs. The 30,000 seat requirement should’ve stayed in place if you ask me, it was there for a good reason. Congrats to these once great FCS programs, but I disagree with the tone of the article, NDSU has every reason to stay put, and no reason to move up.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:26 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:15 am
Your guy keeps talking about how great it is to be located on the east coast, and how the Sun Belt provides tons of benefits including cost reductions for team travel. How’s that when 1/3 of the conference is located 1,000 miles away from JMU’s campus?

This wasn’t some great achievement by JMU, and JMU hasn’t had NDSU level success, so the comparison isn’t real. This is JMU’s justification for joining FBS, and joining the Sun Belt Conference. The truth is, there is no real reason for JMU to move up to FBS, it’s an ego trip. Just like there was no real reason for App State, Coastal, Georgia Southern, ODU, Liberty and Texas State to move up to FBS. There’s no comparable ticket demand to justify building G5 level facilities, there are no comparable fans bases to consistently fill said facilities, and there were no lack of FBS programs, forcing G5 and P5 conferences to extend invites to FCS programs. The 30,000 seat requirement should’ve stayed in place if you ask me, it was there for a good reason. Congrats to these once great FCS programs, but I disagree with the tone of the article, NDSU has every reason to stay put, and no reason to move up.
You do know that the SBC has 2 divisions, and all those schools you listed are SBC West, JMU is in the SBC East?

Distance JMU to SBC East
ODU 220 miles
ASU 265 miles
Marshall 285 miles
CCU 395 miles
GST 530 miles
GSU 535 miles

JMU only plays 1-2 of those SBC West teams a season on the road (@ Ark St this season).

Sure some I-AA/former FCS had no business moving up. But you’re stoned if you don’t think there was ‘no real reason’ for JMU or the other former I-AA powers to move up. There was YUGE reason for Marshall, ASU, GSU, JMU, etc to have moved up- $$$$. YUGE increase in revenue from:
-Payday games (more at roughly 2x the amount).
-Athletic Donations (Ex JMU this year increased by over a million, biggest yr over year increase wver BY FAR).
-TV revenue (little to none at the FCS level).
-Ticket sales (JMU set record ticket this season.
-Ad revenue
-Merchandising
-Bowl revenue
-Intangibles due to more exposure (like increase in applications).
All of that more than offsets by far the increased expenses from:
-Facilities expansion/improvements.
-More coaches at much higher salaries.
-22 more schollies (some teams have to add new womens’ sport(s), but JMU good to go Title IX).
-Increased travel costs.
Despite last 6 seasons FCS 5 trips at least semis/3 to Frisco, JMU was still bleeding a 7 figure amount playing FCS ball. Will still lose money at FBS (most G5s do), but lose much less, assuming we don’t fall into suckitude.

For former I-AA/FCS powers now at G5 the increased $$$ IN is greater than the increased $$$ out in the long run, as long as your program doesn’t suck. Would be for NDSU and the Montana schools too, in the future, in some type of expanded or new Mtn West like conference..
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 am
BlackFalkin wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:26 pm

You do know that the SBC has 2 divisions, and all those schools you listed are SBC West, JMU is in the SBC East?

Distance JMU to SBC East
ODU 220 miles
ASU 265 miles
Marshall 285 miles
CCU 395 miles
GST 530 miles
GSU 535 miles

JMU only plays 1-2 of those SBC West teams a season on the road (@ Ark St this season).

Sure some I-AA/former FCS had no business moving up. But you’re stoned if you don’t think there was ‘no real reason’ for JMU or the other former I-AA powers to move up. There was YUGE reason for Marshall, ASU, GSU, JMU, etc to have moved up- $$$$. YUGE increase in revenue from:
-Athletic Donations (Ex JMU this year increased by over a million, biggest yr over year increase wver BY FAR).
-Ad revenue
-Merchandising
-Bowl revenue
-22 more schollies (some teams have to add new womens’ sport(s), but JMU good to go Title IX).
-Increased travel costs.
Despite last 6 seasons FCS 5 trips at least semis/3 to Frisco, JMU was still bleeding a 7 figure amount playing FCS ball. Will still lose money at FBS (most G5s do), but lose much less, assuming we don’t fall into suckitude.

For former I-AA/FCS powers now at G5 the increased $$$ IN is greater than the increased $$$ out in the long run, as long as your program doesn’t suck. Would be for NDSU and the Montana schools too, in the future, in some type of expanded or new Mtn West like conference..
I understand how excited you are about moving up to the FBS, but much of your list of “benefits of FBS” is wishful thinking and sales jargon. Once the excitement of transitioning wears off and life as an undersized G5 program becomes the new normal, new issues will arise.

-0.01% Chance at a national championship, and that percentage might be high!
-Slim to no chance at the CFP, same goes for national exposure, you’ll have about the same national exposure as Texas State, Marshall or Georgia Southern.
-Half of the SBC are former FCS teams, changing your NCAA status from FCS to FBS doesn’t magically change your attendance, enrollment, football stadium or anything else.

Moving to FBS is a huge challenge that could pay huge dividends, if the program is ready for the challenge. Being competitive at the FCS level and having a 25,000 seat stadium doesn’t automatically translate to success at the G5/FBS level. Lastly, JMU still has to WIN and win against quality FBS opposition to obtain most of what’s been promised on your list. A few .500 seasons while the program is still adjusting… then what? Would JMU still have “record ticket sales” or “highest athletic donations increase yr over year BY FAR”? I don’t know… Once again, congrats and good luck, but I’m still unimpressed with these east coast FCS teams expanding to >30,000 seats, having a good 5/10 year run, then making the leap to (and settling for imo) an FCS-filled, G5, FBS conference.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:39 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 am

Distance JMU to SBC East
ODU 220 miles
ASU 265 miles
Marshall 285 miles
CCU 395 miles
GST 530 miles
GSU 535 miles

-Ad revenue
-Merchandising
-Bowl revenue
-Increased travel costs.

I understand how excited you are about moving up to the FBS, but much of your list of “benefits of FBS” is wishful thinking and sales jargon. Once the excitement of transitioning wears off and life as an undersized G5 program becomes the new normal, new issues will arise.

-0.01% Chance at a national championship, and that percentage might be high!
-Slim to no chance at the CFP, same goes for national exposure, you’ll have about the same national exposure as Texas State, Marshall or Georgia Southern.
-Half of the SBC are former FCS teams, changing your NCAA status from FCS to FBS doesn’t magically change your attendance, enrollment, football stadium or anything else.

Moving to FBS is a huge challenge that could pay huge dividends, if the program is ready for the challenge. Being competitive at the FCS level and having a 25,000 seat stadium doesn’t automatically translate to success at the G5/FBS level. Lastly, JMU still has to WIN and win against quality FBS opposition to obtain most of what’s been promised on your list. A few .500 seasons while the program is still adjusting… then what? Would JMU still have “record ticket sales” or “highest athletic donations increase yr over year BY FAR”? I don’t know… Once again, congrats and good luck, but I’m still unimpressed with these east coast FCS teams expanding to >30,000 seats, having a good 5/10 year run, then making the leap to (and settling for imo) an FCS-filled, G5, FBS conference.
Wrong on the CFP with the playoff expansion to 12 (and probably 16 within the next decade). Had a G5 in the 4 team CFP it last season. If it had been 12 teams going back the last couple of decades would have seen numerous G5s make it. Current set up will be at least 1 G5 per season. Sure, virtually zero chance of a G5 winning a natty, but a 13-17 seed NCAA b-ball team has virtually 0 chance a winning the NCAA tournament either. Doesn’t mean its not better to be in the NCAA tournament than a much lesser tournament they have a chance of winning..

Wrong on national exposure. You don't get it playing FCS ball unless you are pulling what NDSU is doing.

Wrong on stadium. Almost Zero chance JMU expands past 25k playing FCS ball. Now playing FBS ball likely will likely make an expansion announcement to 35k in a few years, and likely to be completed before the end of the decade, because there will be demand for it. ASU after they moved up expanded from 24k to 30k. GSU after they moved up expanded from 18k to 25k.

G5 FBS regular season trumps FCS hands down. Post season FCS playoffs trumps shot at G5 league title game & toilet bowl. Sure I'd prefer an FCS playoff run over a shot at SBC title game and/or a crap toilet bowl. In an ideal world outside of the 1 G5 (maybe 2 some seasons) that will make the 12 team playoffs, there would be a separate G5 playoffs, but it is what it is.