Delaware President - Blue Hen Athletics will not exist if they have to pay athletes

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Delaware President - Blue Hen Athletics will not exist if they have to pay athletes

Post by dbackjon »

HOBSON: But if they were employees, and they were injured, they would be entitled to things like workman's comp benefits.

HARKER: So how would we do this? So think about this, right. So we make them employees. That means not only for the football and basketball players, but with Title IX, we have to do that with all our student athletes. Now our costs have gone up dramatically. How can we afford to keep doing this? We would just drop sports.

And I'll tell you what we would do at the University of Delaware. Most likely we would drop all our varsity sports down to club status because we simply could not afford to provide varsity athletics.

HOBSON: Well, what's wrong with that?

HARKER: Well, there's an argument there that it's possible that that is something that we should consider. The things that you take away are for the vast majority of our 600 student athletes, half of whom are on scholarships, are those scholarships. We're helping these young people get through college.

The vast majority of our athletic budget is scholarship money. It's not coaches' salaries. At our level, coaches are not making millions of dollars.
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Delaware President - Blue Hen Athletics will not exist if they have to pay athletes

Post by GannonFan »

Isn't this pretty old? We ran Harker out several years ago (as long ago as 2015). He gave this interview you're quoting from before that. Why are you bringing up an interview from almost a decade ago just now?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Delaware President - Blue Hen Athletics will not exist if they have to pay athletes

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 pm Isn't this pretty old? We ran Harker out several years ago (as long ago as 2015). He gave this interview you're quoting from before that. Why are you bringing up an interview from almost a decade ago just now?
Just thought it was interesting what UD thought at the time - it was recently bumped elsewhere. :nod:
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:16 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 pm Isn't this pretty old? We ran Harker out several years ago (as long ago as 2015). He gave this interview you're quoting from before that. Why are you bringing up an interview from almost a decade ago just now?
Just thought it was interesting what UD thought at the time - it was recently bumped elsewhere. :nod:
Correction, what Harker thought at the time, not UD. Harker was on an island as the UD President, he wasn't well liked by the rest of the University, and mostly for things completely unrelated to athletics. There's a reason why he's no longer the President and now sits on the Philly Fed Board (which isn't an important part of the Fed either).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation