Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: FCS vs. GROUP OF 5 vs. POWER 5

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:41 am
HeavyIsTheCrown wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:49 am

He’s got you there AzGrizFan. The problem with your argument is Northern Colorado and Southern Utah did in fact average 4,000+ fans, and if they expanded those obvious Division 2 stadiums, especially if they do it right (on campus, no track, enclosed, with plenty of endzone seating & video boards and great food and atmosphere for the fans) they may be able to draw even more fans. You mentioned Cedar City is full of “poor white fans” but Montana is full of “poor white fans” and they’re still able to draw fans. Fact is, when Montana State expanded their stadium from 12,000 to 17,777, more fans came. When Eastern Washington expanded to 8,600, built a new press box, added endzone seating and Red turf, more fans came. Same goes for UC Davis, Cal Poly, James Madison, Texas State, Prairie View, South Dakota State and others. One can only think about Eastern Washington’s failed Gateway Project, if EWU DID build it, more fans would probably be attracted to games in Cheney. These guys have you pinned down in every direction……

WAIT! I think I know what your issue is here, PARITY. Parity in the Big Sky, and all of FCS, creates less of an advantage for the Montana Grizzlies. Your rival Montana State made it to the National Championship, and it happened shortly after they expanded… and as more FCS teams get their facilities in order, the more likely it is that the Montana Grizzlies fall by the wayside.

:nod: :coffee:

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro Max using Tapatalk
You’ve got me. I want everyone else to suck. :lol: :lol: Dammit…you’re onto me!

Spending tens of millions of dollars to bring in tens of hundreds of new fans is hardly a good business model. I’ve been at Cal Poly. I’ve been at UNC. I’ve been at NAU. I’ve been at the Kibbie Dome. Almost every time, Griz fans outnumbered home team fans. Building them bigger is NOT the answer. THere’s a reason NAU took OUT 6,000 seats when they redid the Walkup dome.
Thank god, Montana never spent tens of millions in stadium upgrades only to see tens of hundreds of new fans…
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:02 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:41 am

You’ve got me. I want everyone else to suck. :lol: :lol: Dammit…you’re onto me!

Spending tens of millions of dollars to bring in tens of hundreds of new fans is hardly a good business model. I’ve been at Cal Poly. I’ve been at UNC. I’ve been at NAU. I’ve been at the Kibbie Dome. Almost every time, Griz fans outnumbered home team fans. Building them bigger is NOT the answer. THere’s a reason NAU took OUT 6,000 seats when they redid the Walkup dome.
Thank god, Montana never spent tens of millions in stadium upgrades only to see tens of hundreds of new fans…
Montana’s demand was there BEFORE the expansions. There was literally a 10-year wait for season tickets. Huge difference.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:20 am

Montana’s demand was there BEFORE the expansions. There was literally a 10-year wait for season tickets. Huge difference.
EWU went a bunch years prior to Covid averaging above a sellout.

FWIW I watched a game at Dornblazer. All those season ticket holders must have missed that one.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

I just realized Eastern Washington has more conference championships than Montana, maybe it’s time to call Dennis and Phyllis and ask for another 1,500 seat deck on the west side of Wa-Griz stadium before they kick the bucket… since the demand is so high and all. :coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:28 am

I just realized Eastern Washington has more conference championships than Montana, maybe it’s time to call Dennis and Phyllis and ask for another 1,500 seat deck on the west side of Wa-Griz stadium before they kick the bucket… since the demand is so high and all. :coffee:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah. No they don’t.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:53 am

EWU went a bunch years prior to Covid averaging above a sellout.

FWIW I watched a game at Dornblazer. All those season ticket holders must have missed that one.
I watched many a game at Dornblazer. Many a shitty game. Jesus fuck we sucked in the 70’s after Swarthout left.
CrunchGriz
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by CrunchGriz »

Football championships, BSC: Montana 18, Eastern 9. Math must not be a strength at EWU.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CrunchGriz wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm Football championships, BSC: Montana 18, Eastern 9. Math must not be a strength at EWU.
True.

Also true…EWU joined the BSC in 1987. Montana in 1963.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:40 pm
CrunchGriz wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm Football championships, BSC: Montana 18, Eastern 9. Math must not be a strength at EWU.
True.

As much as I prefer EWU to the Griz, I gotta side with the Griz here, having counted championships since EWU joined the league. Even factoring out the 2011 co-championship that UM vacated, the Griz still hold a 14-9 advantage over EWU. And half of EWU's titles are shared, including one they share with UM in 2004. Ten of UM's 14 titles since 1987 are solo....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:43 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:40 pm

True.

As much as I prefer EWU to the Griz, I gotta side with the Griz here, having counted championships since EWU joined the league. Even factoring out the 2011 co-championship that UM vacated, the Griz still hold a 14-9 advantage over EWU. And half of EWU's titles are shared, including one they share with UM in 2004. Ten of UM's 14 titles since 1987 are solo....
Sacramento State should be sanctioned NOW for that basketball "arena" you guys have. My high school basketball gym was two times that size, SCOUTS HONOR! You better call that AD and tell them to get their crap together NOW!

EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

BlackFalkin wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:14 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:43 pm

Sacramento State should be sanctioned NOW for that basketball "arena" you guys have. My high school basketball gym was two times that size, SCOUTS HONOR! You better call that AD and tell them to get their crap together NOW!

Fans have been screaming about it for years. It's probably better than the late '90s when I was at Sac State, and us football players (or wanna-be players as in my case) supported the hoops team by doing security at games held at an opera facility downtown. The acoustics were HORRIBLE there, and it looked really weird watching balls thrown out of bounds onto the stage....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.