Could this put NAU in the Pioneer?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Could this put NAU in the Pioneer?

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Could this put NAU in the Pioneer?

Post by dbackjon »

This has nothing to do with athletics - just offering need based scholarships to all eligible Arizona residents
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:43 am This has nothing to do with athletics - just offering need based scholarships to all eligible Arizona residents
Well, I was just extrapolating that giving full rides to nearly EVERYBODY (most families I know are below that threshhold), there's no need for athletic scholarships. Of course, that could just be an accounting measure: Everybody except scholarship athletes get academic scholarships, and athletes get athletic scholarships. Same result....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

Given the amount of money that NAU put into the newly opened Student Athlete High Performance Center, I'm pretty sure the university plans to continue having a competitive athletics program. That means providing scholarships. I see no signs at the moment that NAU would consider a move to a non-scholarship conference like the Pioneer.

On a completely different note, ASU football is quite the mess right now..... do the Jacks beat big brother #2 next fall in Tempe?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

mtjack wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:29 pm Given the amount of money that NAU put into the newly opened Student Athlete High Performance Center, I'm pretty sure the university plans to continue having a competitive athletics program. That means providing scholarships. I see no signs at the moment that NAU would consider a move to a non-scholarship conference like the Pioneer.

On a completely different note, ASU football is quite the mess right now..... do the Jacks beat big brother #2 next fall in Tempe?
I do not think that word means what you think it means. **

** with the exception of your track and field program…. :notworthy:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:50 pm
mtjack wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:29 pm Given the amount of money that NAU put into the newly opened Student Athlete High Performance Center, I'm pretty sure the university plans to continue having a competitive athletics program. That means providing scholarships. I see no signs at the moment that NAU would consider a move to a non-scholarship conference like the Pioneer.

The dome looks good now, new Performance Center, no playing in snow, no drunken hicks with cousins for parents throwing skittles at the visiting team. I’d take NAU over Montana. :coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 am

The dome looks good now, new Performance Center, no playing in snow, no drunken hicks with cousins for parents throwing skittles at the visiting team. I’d take NAU over Montana. :coffee:
Lol. Good for you. You also think the tampon is the prettiest thing in the Palouse…
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Won Women's Tennis, Women's Swimming and Diving

Have won the last 8 Men's All-Sports Trophy (Montana hasn't won since 2011-12). Have won 3 of last four women's all-sports trophies (Montana has never won one)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:10 am

Have won the last 8 Men's All-Sports Trophy (Montana hasn't won since 2011-12). Have won 3 of last four women's all-sports trophies (Montana has never won one)
You have sports we don’t have and that drain the coffers. But you do you.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:20 pm
dbackjon wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:10 am

We only have Women's Swimming and Diving that Montana doesn't, and Montana has Softball that NAU doesn't - which is a more expensive sport. All other sports are the same.

Next lame excuse?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:27 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:20 pm

We only have Women's Swimming and Diving that Montana doesn't, and Montana has Softball that NAU doesn't - which is a more expensive sport. All other sports are the same.

Next lame excuse?
Your money making sports suck ass. :D Next justification?
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:00 am
BlackFalkin wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 am

Lol. Good for you. You also think the tampon is the prettiest thing in the Palouse…
The most winningest home field since it’s installation? The red turf that Montana got spanked on this past season? Speaking of renovations, when’s the last time Wa-griz stadium got an update? Eastern has 3 Walter Payton Award winners on that turf… Maybe that’s why Eastern Washington has the Big Sky’s most recent National Championship, beating a CAA team while the Gizz keep losing to CAA teams in the playoffs. Seriously, montanya ain’t what they used to be. SMH Great job NAU! Nicer facilities than Montanya.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

You must mean since the red turf was installed, BF. Since the place was built? Impressive percentage, but not likely the best, particularly given the fact that EWU moved their home games to Spokane for several years during the '80s, and did so for individual games for several years before and after that. In Woodward/Roos Stadium, the Eags boast a .731 winning percentage since it was built in 1967. Pretty impressive, I must say. But to assert that their 57-10 record during the 2010s and 3-0 during the spring season and 4-2 last fall season is emblematic of the entire run is specious at the very least.

Personally, I think coaching and recruiting says more about the Eags' performance over the life of the stadium, or even just during the "tampon" era (as Montana fans so aptly put it) than the stadium itself does. Sure, it's weird to play on red turf as a visiting team (or even Boise's blue turf), but it's nowhere near as scary as playing in an super-historic stadium like the LA Coliseum, the Big House, Notre Dame Stadium, Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, etc. I'd have more issues playing in the Yale Bowl than Roos....

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:30 pm

The most winningest home field since it’s installation? The red turf that Montana got spanked on this past season? Speaking of renovations, when’s the last time Wa-griz stadium got an update? Eastern has 3 Walter Payton Award winners on that turf… Maybe that’s why Eastern Washington has the Big Sky’s most recent National Championship, beating a CAA team while the Gizz keep losing to CAA teams in the playoffs. Seriously, montanya ain’t what they used to be. SMH Great job NAU! Nicer facilities than Montanya.
Lol. I believe a return spanking was issued in the Mecca that IS Washington/Grizzly Stadium.
mtjack
Level1
Level1

Post by mtjack »

NAU has the better overall athletics program. They are competitive in more of their sports than the U of M. They've won more overall conference and national championships recently. This isn't a conversation whether or not the U of Montana has a better football program NAU or men's basketball program. The Griz win both of those hands down. It's all the sports combined.

Just took the time to look this up and was surprised. Eastern Washington (a whopping 6 times), Weber State (4 times), Montana State (3 times), Sacramento State (2 times) and UND/SUU/Cal Poly (all 1 time) have all won or shared a Big Sky football title since the Griz last sat on top of the Big Sky in 2009. That's a much more competitive Big Sky conference than in the 1990s and 2000s.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mtjack wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:56 pm NAU has the better overall athletics program. They are competitive in more of their sports than the U of M. They've won more overall conference and national championships recently. This isn't a conversation whether or not the U of Montana has a better football program NAU or men's basketball program. The Griz win both of those hands down. It's all the sports combined.

Just took the time to look this up and was surprised. Eastern Washington (a whopping 6 times), Weber State (4 times), Montana State (3 times), Sacramento State (2 times) and UND/SUU/Cal Poly (all 1 time) have all won or shared a Big Sky football title since the Griz last sat on top of the Big Sky in 2009. That's a much more competitive Big Sky conference than in the 1990s and 2000s.
Who’s NOT in that list? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :kisswink:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:10 am

Lol. I believe a return spanking was issued in the Mecca that IS Washington/Grizzly Stadium.
Wow, that's crazy. Those were the days, back when Montana had the best facility in the Big Sky. The conference has changed since then my incest-loving friend. Montana State built that beautiful endzone facility that stays packed, and looks absolutely beautiful. Eastern Washington has performed many upgrads, like the NEW Red Turf, large HD video board, best graphics and fan interaction in the Big Sky with said video board, renovated and updated stadium signage for legendary players, Big Sky POYs & WPA trophy winners, and lastly a renovated snack bar area. I almost forgot about the two story pressbox (something the "mecca" :lol: doesn't have. Finally NAU has the best indoor facility in the conference, all jokes aside, NAU is in the top 4 when it comes to facilities in the BSC. Step your game up Montanya, you havent got a national title in 21 years.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

The bolded needs the asterisk for chain crew malfunction. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BlackFalkin wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:45 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:10 am

Wow, that's crazy. Those were the days, back when Montana had the best facility in the Big Sky. The conference has changed since then my incest-loving friend. Montana State built that beautiful endzone facility that stays packed, and looks absolutely beautiful. Eastern Washington has performed many upgrads, like the NEW Red Turf, large HD video board, best graphics and fan interaction in the Big Sky with said video board, renovated and updated stadium signage for legendary players, Big Sky POYs & WPA trophy winners, and lastly a renovated snack bar area. I almost forgot about the two story pressbox (something the "mecca" :lol: doesn't have. Finally NAU has the best indoor facility in the conference, all jokes aside, NAU is in the top 4 when it comes to facilities in the BSC. Step your game up Montanya, you havent got a national title in 21 years.
Renovated snack bar. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
mtjack
Level1
Level1

Post by mtjack »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:37 pm
The Griz ...... since 2009. 13 years seems like ages ago.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mtjack wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:58 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:37 pm
NAU. EVER.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:05 pm
mtjack wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:58 pm

NAU. EVER.
If NAU had decent coaching, they’d BTG on a regular basis.

- Montanya -
Location = F
Women = F-
Stadium = A

— NAU —
Location = B
Women = C+
Stadium = A-

Facts are facts. :coffee: