Former IL State OC/QBs Coach Sues School

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Former IL State OC/QBs Coach Sues School

Post by SuperHornet »

Former IL State OC/QBs Coach Kurt Beathard has sued HC Brock Spack and former AD Larry Lyons for violation of free speech. Someone posted a BLM poster on his office door, and he removed it, replacing it with one reading "All Redbird Lives Matter." A few days later (in SEP), Beathard was pressured to resign. The official excuse for pushing him to leave were that Spack didn't like the direction of the passing game, but Beathard's attorney alleges that the real reason was that he did not toe the official line on BLM. I believe there was discussion of this when he was first pushed out, but the suit was just filed.

Beathard has previously coached at Pacific, James Madison, Towson State, and Sacramento of the UFL.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Former IL State OC/QBs Coach Sues School

Post by kalm »

Like it or not, this is America now. Removing it was fine, replacing it was dumb.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:08 pm Like it or not, this is America now. Removing it was fine, replacing it was dumb.
As much as I'd like to defend a former coach [I didn't work directly with him, as Mike Canales (now a consultant with Maryland) was our QBs coach], you're probably right, kalm. The original poster might have been a prank but seeing something coming from the coaching staff might be seen as coercive. Coaches have no business pushing political views on players....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:11 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:08 pm Like it or not, this is America now. Removing it was fine, replacing it was dumb.
As much as I'd like to defend a former coach [I didn't work directly with him, as Mike Canales (now a consultant with Maryland) was our QBs coach], you're probably right, kalm. The original poster might have been a prank but seeing something coming from the coaching staff might be seen as coercive. Coaches have no business pushing political views on players....
How do you differentiate between pushing political views on players and trying to teach players to think?

A spirited but respectful discussion around BLM would do a lot more to achieve its goals than asking/forcing people to blindly toe the line.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:05 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:11 pm

How do you differentiate between pushing political views on players and trying to teach players to think?

A spirited but respectful discussion around BLM would do a lot more to achieve its goals than asking/forcing people to blindly toe the line.
Yes it would. And that’s exactly what the coach should have tried…assuming that he didn’t.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:22 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Yes it would. And that’s exactly what the coach should have tried…assuming that he didn’t.
Putting up the poster he did might have been an attempt to start such a discussion.

You can assume what you will and I can assume that any attempt to have such a discussion would be dismissed and the person attempting to begin such a discussion labeled an obstructionist and racist. Kind of like how opposition to CRT is labeled as a racist attempt to prevent the teaching of history.

Mods, this thread should probably be moved to the Poly Board.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:22 pm

Putting up the poster he did might have been an attempt to start such a discussion.

You can assume what you will and I can assume that any attempt to have such a discussion would be dismissed and the person attempting to begin such a discussion labeled an obstructionist and racist. Kind of like how opposition to CRT is labeled as a racist attempt to prevent the teaching of history.

Assuming meaning I agree with you if that wasn’t the case. I know of a similar situation involving a coach that ended the same way.

You and I simply don’t know the intent, but what matters is how his employer views it. In this climate, replacing the poster was dumb. Regardless of whether it was just or not.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:00 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Assuming meaning I agree with you if that wasn’t the case. I know of a similar situation involving a coach that ended the same way.

You and I simply don’t know the intent, but what matters is how his employer views it. In this climate, replacing the poster was dumb. Regardless of whether it was just or not.
Replacing the poster was foolish if he wanted to stay employed there. It could be argued that it was brave if he was willing to put his job on the line in order to try and make a point.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:57 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:00 pm

Replacing the poster was foolish if he wanted to stay employed there. It could be argued that it was brave if he was willing to put his job on the line in order to try and make a point.
Sure. And now he’s suing.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:53 pm Former IL State OC/QBs Coach Kurt Beathard has sued HC Brock Spack and former AD Larry Lyons for violation of free speech. Someone posted a BLM poster on his office door, and he removed it, replacing it with one reading "All Redbird Lives Matter." A few days later (in SEP), Beathard was pressured to resign. The official excuse for pushing him to leave were that Spack didn't like the direction of the passing game, but Beathard's attorney alleges that the real reason was that he did not toe the official line on BLM. I believe there was discussion of this when he was first pushed out, but the suit was just filed.

Beathard has previously coached at Pacific, James Madison, Towson State, and Sacramento of the UFL.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html
Hope this guy doesn't have a problem with skin color????