Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

The Field

Post by BDKJMU »

Here‘s what I have for the field. W&M and URI losing opened up the door for UNI, Mercer

Seeds:
1.SHSU (10-0/6-0)
2-4: NDSU, VU, JMU (not sure of order)
5: Sac St
6: MT ST
7-8: Between EWU, MT, KSU, ETSU

The rest:
-MO ST
-SDSU
-SIU
-SD
-UNI (6-5)

-UCD

-Mercer

-SFA

-SELA
-UIW

-UTM

-Holy Cross

-SHU

-Davidson

So yeah, 6 teams for the MVFC..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Re: The Field

Post by uofmman1122 »

If you think MSU gets a higher seed than Montana, you're high.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:38 pm If you think MSU gets a higher seed than Montana, you're high.
I agree. MSU looked like a total fraud today. It's hard to argue for putting UM above Sac or EWU, though (assuming EWU holds on). As a result, I don't see any justification for Hauck's wish for the Griz to be a top-4 seed.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:00 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:38 pm If you think MSU gets a higher seed than Montana, you're high.
I agree. MSU looked like a total fraud today. It's hard to argue for putting UM above Sac or EWU, though (assuming EWU holds on). As a result, I don't see any justification for Hauck's wish for the Griz to be a top-4 seed.
It's a weird scenario.

Sac and EWU's best win is against Montana (Sac when the Griz were pretty decimated with injuries), and EWU has a "bad" loss against Weber.

Montana has two much better wins against UW and MSU, and has looked much improved over the last few weeks.

I agree that I don't think Montana gets the 4 seed, but I don't think it's out of the question.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:09 pm

It's a weird scenario.

Sac and EWU's best win is against Montana (Sac when the Griz were pretty decimated with injuries), and EWU has a "bad" loss against Weber.

Montana has two much better wins against UW and MSU, and has looked much improved over the last few weeks.

I agree that I don't think Montana gets the 4 seed, but I don't think it's out of the question.
You're forgetting EWU has an FBS win, too, and both Sac & EWU beat Davis convincingly.

The Griz lost to both EWU & Sac, and their record is no better, so it's hard to justify putting the Griz higher. The committee has done weird things before, though.

Oh, and I just noticed BDK put Weber in. I'm skeptical that'll happen (they'd be below UNI in the pecking order, I'm pretty sure, and there haven't been two 6-5 at-larges in the same season).
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:18 pm
It's a weird scenario.

You're forgetting EWU has an FBS win, too, and both Sac & EWU beat Davis convincingly.

The Griz lost to both EWU & Sac, and their record is no better, so it's hard to justify putting the Griz higher. The committee has done weird things before, though.
Again, I'm not saying we'll get the 4 seed, but I think it's definitely a possibility.

It's like someone saying Villanova should be ahead of JMU. Maybe they will be, but H2H isn't the end-all-be-all here, IMO.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Again, I'm not saying we'll get the 4 seed, but I think it's definitely a possibility.

It's like someone saying Villanova should be ahead of JMU. Maybe they will be, but H2H isn't the end-all-be-all here, IMO.
That could be true, though H2H should be big if things are otherwise close IMO. I don't see a legit reason to put JMU higher than Nova, though—the H2H is really the only thing that separates them.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:28 pm

That could be true, though H2H should be big if things are otherwise close IMO. I don't see a legit reason to put JMU higher than Nova, though—the H2H is really the only thing that separates them.
How do you justify putting EWU ahead of MSU, then?

Because, IMO, Montana has to be above MSU, and MSU has to be above EWU.

You can put Sac above all of them, I guess, but it would be weird for the committee to make a big deal about head to head, and then have it

EWU
UM
MSU
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Forgot about SFA. Put them in and Weber out. If a 6-5 gets in, will be UNI (3-3 vs other playoff, best a seed (Sac St)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

MT, MT ST, and EWU are all 9-2, and they round robbined each other:
-EWU beat MT
-MT beat MT ST
-MT St beat EWU
So that doesn‘t solve anything. But in the Big Sky:
MT 7-1
EWU 6-2
MT 6-2

7-1 trumps 6-2. Then 6-2 trumps 6-2 head to head.
So logically the order would have to be MT ST then EWU then MT.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

It's a weird scenario.

Oh, and I just noticed BDK put Weber in. I'm skeptical that'll happen (they'd be below UNI in the pecking order, I'm pretty sure, and there haven't been two 6-5 at-larges in the same season).
Nevermind that. I forgot about SFA. Put SFA in, took Weber out.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Nicholls is also an interesting team to consider. They're 6-5, but 6-3 against FCS, and they have 1 good win (SELU), no bad losses, and they played Sun Belt leader Louisiana-Lafayette close. Would they be considered higher than UNI?
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:09 pm

MT, MT ST, and EWU are all 9-2, and they round robbined each other:
-EWU beat MT
-MT beat MT ST
-MT St beat EWU
So that doesn‘t solve anything. But in the Big Sky:
MT 7-1
EWU 6-2
MT 6-2

7-1 trumps 6-2. Then 6-2 trumps 6-2 head to head.
So logically the order would have to be MT ST then EWU then MT.
This only makes sense when the teams play the same other teams.

MSU and EWU didn't have to play BSC champ Sac State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Hornets should be the highest seed out of the BSC. Would be arguable if MSU barely lost to UM, or the Hornets barely beat the phaggies. Both games were total ass whoopings. Now crown us with the highest seed for the BSC as well. :king:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:40 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 pm

You can put Sac above all of them, I guess, but it would be weird for the committee to make a big deal about head to head, and then have it

EWU
UM
MSU
Compared to:

JMU
Nova
Montana
MSU
SAC…

EWU has a stronger SoS, most quality wins, highest computer rankings (before yesterday), no bad losses (both good teams and a combined 4 points.) UNLV is ranked 1 ahead of Vandy in Massey this week. The only actual metrics working against us are the H2H against the cats, and longer win streaks.

I’m not saying EWU will get the three or four, but all there’s a compelling case to seed us higher than the other three and a compelling case for a BSC to be as high as 3.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:36 am

EWU
UM
MSU
Compared to:

JMU
Nova
Montana
MSU
SAC…

EWU has a stronger SoS, most quality wins, highest computer rankings (before yesterday), no bad losses (both good teams and a combined 4 points.) UNLV is ranked 1 ahead of Vandy in Massey this week. The only actual metrics working against us are the H2H against the cats, and longer win streaks.

I’m not saying EWU will get the three or four, but all there’s a compelling case to seed us higher than the other three and a compelling case for a BSC to be as high as 3.
You played a D-II school and UNLV. Nice “SOS”….lol Playing that D-II school may cost you a top 4 seed.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am

Compared to:

JMU
Nova
Montana
MSU
SAC…

You played a D-II school and UNLV. Nice “SOS”….lol Playing that D-II school may cost you a top 4 seed.
Yep. We picked up CWU when JSU backed out of its return game. That DII is probably similar to Dixie State in the computers so…

Regardless, our SoS is better.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2

Post by uofmman1122 »

EWU
UM
MSU
Compared to:

JMU
Nova
Montana
MSU
SAC…

Myself and the committee obviously disagreed.

4. Sac
6. UM
8. MSU
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Florida A&M will face Southeast Louisiana in the first round.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:47 am

Compared to:

JMU
Nova
Montana
MSU
SAC…

Myself and the committee obviously disagreed.

4. Sac
6. UM
8. MSU
We got fucked a bit. Oh well. The BSC deserved a top 4 but also 4 seeds. ETSU should be out. They went off records and recency bias and not much on SoS except UNI.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

How exactly did UNI make the playoffs? I know they have some strong wins, but it also looks as if they only have 5 FCS level wins.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm How exactly did UNI make the playoffs? I know they have some strong wins, but it also looks as if they only have 5 FCS level wins.
At Thomas is transitional. Same as Dixie State.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:31 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm How exactly did UNI make the playoffs? I know they have some strong wins, but it also looks as if they only have 5 FCS level wins.
At Thomas is transitional. Same as Dixie State.
Thanks. Didn't know Thomas was transitional.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:22 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am

Yep. We picked up CWU when JSU backed out of its return game. That DII is probably similar to Dixie State in the computers so…

And regardless, I was right. 8-) 8-)

Good luck on 12/3. You’re gonna need it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:02 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:22 am

And regardless, I was right. 8-) 8-)

Good luck on 12/3. You’re gonna need it.
Yes…you were right. The committee didn’t follow its own metrics and logic.

To be honest…I don’t mind our path all that much. Losing the bye hurts most. It’s just tough playing a team you are ranked ahead of, already beat, have one more quality win than, with an identical record, on the road.

Oh well UNI first. Then we’ll see.