SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: The Field

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:27 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 pm

A quality road win in week 2 of the season over the now #4 seed in the playoffs...kinda tells me how much they rated us for the selection...

...aside from that I got nothing. Where Clenzy to break this down for us?
Congrats on your Big Sky conference championship.
Thanks. It's been a fun ride. I think I predicted an 8-3 (7-1) season (the loss being to UM) on Sac Buzz. The win total didn't surprise me, the domination in which was displayed on both sides of the ball did. Keep in mind our All-American stud RB (Dotson) quit on us a few days before our 4th game. Just goes to show how far Taylor and his staff has brought this program in the short time he has been here.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 pm
A quality road win in week 2 of the season over the now #4 seed in the playoffs...kinda tells me how much they rated us for the selection...

...aside from that I got nothing. Where Clenzy to break this down for us?
Thank you! We're waiting for Sac St to deliver the trophy. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:37 pm
Thanks. It's been a fun ride. I think I predicted an 8-3 (7-1) season (the loss being to UM) on Sac Buzz. The win total didn't surprise me, the domination in which was displayed on both sides of the ball did. Keep in mind our All-American stud RB (Dotson) quit on us a few days before our 4th game. Just goes to show how far Taylor and his staff has brought this program in the short time he has been here.
What did AZ predict?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:31 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:37 pm

What did AZ predict?
I predicted we’d be playing with our starter at QB and our starter at RB, not our 2nd string QB and our 5th string RB.

and I’ve eaten enough crow on my Suck State prediction to last a lifetime, so suck it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:14 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am

You played a D-II school and UNLV. Nice “SOS”….lol Playing that D-II school may cost you a top 4 seed.
:nod:
Yeah but overall Massey has SOS EWU 21st and Montana 28th.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:20 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:39 pm

I get all of that and nova-JMU is another example. But H2H used to be more important. EG: EWU lost to MSU in September, didn’t lose after that, finished the regular season ranked #1 and still was seeded lower than MSU. I know there are more recent examples.

I’m not saying this was an easy selection with the H2H results and Sac. All similar resumes but H2H still should carry weight and EWU has the highest SoS and at least no worse than SAC and Montana with quality wins.

If anything the Cats have the worst resume of the four. But all 4 should have been seeded.
You keep Sac out of your mouth. Both of our quality wins came on the road, and we didn't shit any beds at home against subpar opponents.
True. And you also shit the bed against a “subpar opponent” at home. Lost by 18. Like I said, recency bias. At best, your resume is as good. Or do you really think top 5 in the polls and Massey, 9-2 Big Sky team with 3 quality wins including an FBS shouldn’t be seeded?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI should not be in the field IMO. They had plenty of opportunity to prove themselves and were .500 in that regard. They are a better team than a couple of the autobids, but that's not how this is supposed to work.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:UNI should not be in the field IMO. They had plenty of opportunity to prove themselves and were .500 in that regard. They are a better team than a couple of the autobids, but that's not how this is supposed to work.
This.

UNI could beat any of the autobids one week and lose to Campbell another. They're good enough to win the whole thing and inconsistent enough to get blown out in the first round.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:37 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:14 pm

:nod:
That's because they had to play Montana and we didn't. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 am

You keep Sac out of your mouth. Both of our quality wins came on the road, and we didn't shit any beds at home against subpar opponents.
True. And you also shit the bed against a “subpar opponent” at home. Lost by 18. Like I said, recency bias. At best, your resume is as good. Or do you really think top 5 in the polls and Massey, 9-2 Big Sky team with 3 quality wins including an FBS shouldn’t be seeded?
FINO. That's UNLV.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 am
89Hen wrote:UNI should not be in the field IMO. They had plenty of opportunity to prove themselves and were .500 in that regard. They are a better team than a couple of the autobids, but that's not how this is supposed to work.
This.

UNI could beat any of the autobids one week and lose to Campbell another. They're good enough to win the whole thing and inconsistent enough to get blown out in the first round.
Yeah, it's just a really bad precedent IMO. Do I think UNI would beat Mercer head to head... probably. But they should have been in as a second SoCon team who were minutes away from winning the SoCon on Saturday. So you could apply the same reasoning and say they had their chance on Saturday.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:31 pm

Thank you! We're waiting for Sac St to deliver the trophy. :coffee:
I'm sure that Cal would like to dispute that.

:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:38 am UNI should not be in the field IMO. They had plenty of opportunity to prove themselves and were .500 in that regard. They are a better team than a couple of the autobids, but that's not how this is supposed to work.
Committee chair, from Rhode Island, said the compared the wins against the teams in the field. Mercer 0, Rhody 0, EKU 0, SIU and UNI > 0.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:39 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:38 am UNI should not be in the field IMO. They had plenty of opportunity to prove themselves and were .500 in that regard. They are a better team than a couple of the autobids, but that's not how this is supposed to work.
Committee chair, from Rhode Island, said the compared the wins against the teams in the field. Mercer 0, Rhody 0, EKU 0, SIU and UNI > 0.
I get it, but 4-4 in conference play is a non-starter for me.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 am This.

Yeah, it's just a really bad precedent IMO. Do I think UNI would beat Mercer head to head... probably. But they should have been in as a second SoCon team who were minutes away from winning the SoCon on Saturday. So you could apply the same reasoning and say they had their chance on Saturday.
I agree with you, UNI should not be in the tournament. They got lucky that so many bubble teams lost their last game.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

This is completely conjecture, but it almost feels like the committee sometimes does things to make it seem like they're doing something. IMO, this was one of the easiest fields of all time to project, yet they made it seem hard almost unnecessarily.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:36 pm This is completely conjecture, but it almost feels like the committee sometimes does things to make it seem like they're doing something. IMO, this was one of the easiest fields of all time to project, yet they made it seem hard almost unnecessarily.
The only contentions they had were the last 2 in, and the 2-3 seed. They gave NDSU 2, because they were 3-1 versus the field, JMU 0-1.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:47 pm
89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 am

I agree with you, UNI should not be in the tournament. They got lucky that so many bubble teams lost their last game.
Yep. And now Farley can say, "See, I don't suck as a head coach. I got us in the playoffs again." :ohno: :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 am

Lol. That was our 2nd game after going 90 some odd weeks prior with no games played. We play UNI at home now and we win by 20. :coffee:

Good luck in Missoula in 2 weeks.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:53 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:37 am
That's because they had to play Montana and we didn't. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Speaking of home losses. 8-)
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:53 am

I think with our defense at full speed and Cam at QB, we win that game.

Guess we'll both have to make the chipper to find out, though.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

uofmman1122 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:00 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 pm

We'll beat Montucky by 40 in Frisco. :coffee:
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 pm
uofmman1122 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:00 pm

We'll beat Montucky by 40 in Frisco. :coffee:
That's the delusion I like to see. :thumb:
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:17 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:01 pm

One of the guys on the selection show had Missouri State as his sleeper. I had no idea that Bobby Petrino is their coach until I saw them interview him.
They have a great QB, same level of talent as Barriere at EWU.
Yes they have frosh QB with potential say hello to KADEN MC MULLEN a 3**** who had Missouri knocking on his door he transferred from Alabama A&M the A&M coaching staff compared him with JOHN ELWAY!!!!!!! Mc Mullen is 6'4 200
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Given the current field (the presence of UNI aside, though they DO have a win against at least one seed), I would have seeded it as follows:

1. NDSU
2. SHSU
3. Sac State
4. JMU
5. Montana State
6. Villanova
7. Montana
8. EWU

I rationalize dropping undefeated SHSU due to the SOS inherent in their schedule. NDSU's is much higher by comparison. While neither played any FBS games, NDSU beat FOUR playoff teams. Actually, I find JMIU and SHSU pretty much a crapshoot in that they had no FBS games and avoided playoff games almost completely. SHSU did beat one, skating by SFA by one point. I'll leave SHSU in 2, but bump Sac past JMU on the basis of Sac's 2-1 record against playoff teams, and the fact that Sac's P5 loss was relatively decent, counterbalancing the regional loss to UNI. MSU is a bit further back, with a 1-1 record against playoff teams, a VERY close FBS loss, and decent performance against bubble teams who didn't make it. Villanova is further down with a weak schedule, though they DO have a win vs. a fellow seed. Montana comes next because they have a 1-2 record vs. seeds, but they DO get a seed because they have a P5 scalp. Last comes EWU; while they are 2-1 vs. seeds with an FBS win, UNLV doesn't come close to a P5 (Montana's FBS win), and the Eagles tailed of to some degree at the end. The one I dropped out of the seeds to encompass EWU was ETSU; while they DO have a P5 scalp, that is counterbalanced by a sub-D-I game and the fact that they have NO games against playoff teams....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.