Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Field

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:02 pm

And regardless, I was right. 8-) 8-)

Good luck on 12/3. You’re gonna need it.
Yes…you were right. The committee didn’t follow its own metrics and logic.

To be honest…I don’t mind our path all that much. Losing the bye hurts most. It’s just tough playing a team you are ranked ahead of, already beat, have one more quality win than, with an identical record, on the road.

Oh well UNI first. Then we’ll see.
One more quality win? Weren’t we both 9-2? Our 9th win was against UW. Yours was against CENTRAL W. :rofl: :rofl:

You do you, though.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm

Yes…you were right. The committee didn’t follow its own metrics and logic.

To be honest…I don’t mind our path all that much. Losing the bye hurts most. It’s just tough playing a team you are ranked ahead of, already beat, have one more quality win than, with an identical record, on the road.

Oh well UNI first. Then we’ll see.
One more quality win? Weren’t we both 9-2? Our 9th win was against UW. Yours was against CENTRAL W. :rofl: :rofl:

You do you, though.
Quality wins not total wins. Total wins is a push. If their only justification is Dixie being a better win than CWU that’s pretty damn weak. Perhaps UW > UNLV was enough to tip the scales. But at one point, SoS and H2H used to matter more.

Montana:
UW
MSU

EWU:
UNLV
Montana
Davis
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm

You do you, though.
Quality wins not total wins. Total wins is a push. If their only justification is Dixie being a better win than CWU that’s pretty damn weak. Perhaps UW > UNLV was enough to tip the scales. But at one point, SoS and H2H used to matter more.

Montana:
UW
MSU

EWU:
UNLV
Montana
Davis
2-9 UNLV (who started out the season 0-8 and whose only wins were against UNM and Hawaii) doesn’t count as a quality win.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 pm Quality wins not total wins. Total wins is a push. If their only justification is Dixie being a better win than CWU that’s pretty damn weak. Perhaps UW > UNLV was enough to tip the scales. But at one point, SoS and H2H used to matter more.

Montana:
UW
MSU

EWU:
UNLV
Montana
Davis
2-9 UNLV (who started out the season 0-8 and whose only wins were against UNM and Hawaii) doesn’t count as a quality win.
Is a win against a 4-7 Huskies team a quality win?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:11 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 pm

Montana:
UW
MSU

EWU:
UNLV
Montana
Davis
Well then neither does a win over Vandy which got ETSU a seed. :coffee:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:32 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:11 pm

You have a legitimate gripe there about ETSU, but the problem is that in the last 5 weeks, Montana hasn't lost, and you've lost 2 games at home: one to a mediocre Weber, and another to MSU in a game that wasn't as close as the score suggested.

The committee obviously does't think very highly of UC Davis (and they shouldn't; they got crushed by the only two good teams they played this year), and they must have felt like the UW win carried a lot more weight than either your win over UNLV or Davis.

Do you think you deserved a seed over MSU? I'd imagine most EWU fans would say no. The only way you'd get a higher seed than us then is to also say MSU deserves a higher seed than UM, which IMO doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The committee has always shown that "what have you done for me lately?" is a very important part of their consideration: see angry Weber fans in 2008.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:14 pm

You have a legitimate gripe there about ETSU, but the problem is that in the last 5 weeks, Montana hasn't lost, and you've lost 2 games at home: one to a mediocre Weber, and another to MSU in a game that wasn't as close as the score suggested.

The committee obviously does't think very highly of UC Davis (and they shouldn't; they got crushed by the only two good teams they played this year), and they must have felt like the UW win carried a lot more weight than either your win over UNLV or Davis.

Do you think you deserved a seed over MSU? I'd imagine most EWU fans would say no. The only way you'd get a higher seed than us then is to also say MSU deserves a higher seed than UM, which IMO doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The committee has always shown that "what have you done for me lately?" is a very important part of their consideration: see angry Weber fans in 2008.
interesting that if you went by that ESPN FPI thing all three of those Big Sky teams would've been seeded with Montana State at 6, Eastern Washington at 7, and Montana at 8.
Could I ever be a star?

uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:21 pm

interesting that if you went by that ESPN FPI thing all three of those Big Sky teams would've been seeded with Montana State at 6, Eastern Washington at 7, and Montana at 8.
Yeah and SDSU would be #3, and I doubt you’ll find anyone that thinks that’s where they should be.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:12 pm Image
Big sleeper could be Missouri State, best team the Bison played all season.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:48 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:12 pm Image
One of the guys on the selection show had Missouri State as his sleeper. I had no idea that Bobby Petrino is their coach until I saw them interview him.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:01 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:48 pm

One of the guys on the selection show had Missouri State as his sleeper. I had no idea that Bobby Petrino is their coach until I saw them interview him.
They have a great QB, same level of talent as Barriere at EWU.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:17 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:01 pm

Topic switching but, after not paying much attention to who was getting the accolades during the season, I actually am kind of surprised that the talk about about the EWU quarterback instead of the SE Louisiana quarterback. The SE Louisiana quarterback leads FCS in completion percentage (the EWU guy is 5th), passing efficiency (the EWU guy is 2nd), passing yardage (the EWU guy is 2nd), points responsible for (the EWU guy is 2nd), and total offense (the EWU guy is second).
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

I get all of that and nova-JMU is another example. But H2H used to be more important. EG: EWU lost to MSU in September, didn’t lose after that, finished the regular season ranked #1 and still was seeded lower than MSU. I know there are more recent examples.

I’m not saying this was an easy selection with the H2H results and Sac. All similar resumes but H2H still should carry weight and EWU has the highest SoS and at least no worse than SAC and Montana with quality wins.

If anything the Cats have the worst resume of the four. But all 4 should have been seeded.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:35 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Topic switching but, after not paying much attention to who was getting the accolades during the season, I actually am kind of surprised that the talk about about the EWU quarterback instead of the SE Louisiana quarterback. The SE Louisiana quarterback leads FCS in completion percentage (the EWU guy is 5th), passing efficiency (the EWU guy is 2nd), passing yardage (the EWU guy is 2nd), points responsible for (the EWU guy is 2nd), and total offense (the EWU guy is second).
Who played a tougher schedule?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:35 pm

Who played a tougher schedule?
Eastern Washington. But I think we are going to end up seeing that the guy from Southeastern Louisiana is going to be the more coveted pro prospect. He won the Peyton award last year and he led FCS in just about everything he potentially could lead FCS in this year.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:35 pm Here‘s what I have for the field. W&M and URI losing opened up the door for UNI, Mercer

Seeds:
1.SHSU (10-0/6-0)
2-4: NDSU, VU, JMU (not sure of order)
5: Sac St
6: MT ST
7-8: Between EWU, MT, KSU, ETSU

The rest:
-MO ST
-SDSU
-SIU
-SD
-UNI (6-5)

-UCD

-Mercer

-SFA

-SELA
-UIW

-UTM

-Holy Cross

-SHU

-Davidson

So yeah, 6 teams for the MVFC..
I was a little off on the seeds and got 23 of 24 right on the field (well 10 of those were AQ gimmies, so 13 of 14 right on At Large). Instead of Mercer it was FAMU..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:04 am
uofmman1122 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:47 am
Myself and the committee obviously disagreed.

4. Sac
6. UM
8. MSU
We got fucked a bit. Oh well. The BSC deserved a top 4 but also 4 seeds. ETSU should be out. They went off records and recency bias and not much on SoS except UNI.
I posted on the JMU board:
The team that really got screwed was EWU. EWU amd Montana both 9-2/6-2 with a I-A win.. EWU won the head to head over Montana, has a tougher SOS, is ranked higher in the polls, yet Montana is seeded, EWU isn’t, and would have to play @ Montana in the 2nd round.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 am Hornets should be the highest seed out of the BSC. Would be arguable if MSU barely lost to UM, or the Hornets barely beat the phaggies. Both games were total ass whoopings. Now crown us with the highest seed for the BSC as well. :king:
4th seed works for me. 8-)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:36 am

Compared to:

JMU
Nova
Montana
MSU
SAC…

EWU has a stronger SoS, most quality wins, highest computer rankings (before yesterday), no bad losses (both good teams and a combined 4 points.) UNLV is ranked 1 ahead of Vandy in Massey this week. The only actual metrics working against us are the H2H against the cats, and longer win streaks.

I’m not saying EWU will get the three or four, but all there’s a compelling case to seed us higher than the other three and a compelling case for a BSC to be as high as 3.
You played a D-II school and UNLV. Nice “SOS”….lol Playing that D-II school may cost you a top 4 seed.
:nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:29 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Is a win against a 4-7 Huskies team a quality win?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Better than a win over UNLV.

I have no issue with the top seeds given. EWU shouldn't have shat the bed at home against a subpar Weber and this wouldn't have happened.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:39 pm

I get all of that and nova-JMU is another example. But H2H used to be more important. EG: EWU lost to MSU in September, didn’t lose after that, finished the regular season ranked #1 and still was seeded lower than MSU. I know there are more recent examples.

I’m not saying this was an easy selection with the H2H results and Sac. All similar resumes but H2H still should carry weight and EWU has the highest SoS and at least no worse than SAC and Montana with quality wins.

If anything the Cats have the worst resume of the four. But all 4 should have been seeded.
You keep Sac out of your mouth. Both of our quality wins came on the road, and we didn't shit any beds at home against subpar opponents.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:00 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:04 am

We got fucked a bit. Oh well. The BSC deserved a top 4 but also 4 seeds. ETSU should be out. They went off records and recency bias and not much on SoS except UNI.
I posted on the JMU board:
The team that really got screwed was EWU. EWU amd Montana both 9-2/6-2 with a I-A win.. EWU won the head to head over Montana, has a tougher SOS, is ranked higher in the polls, yet Montana is seeded, EWU isn’t, and would have to play @ Montana in the 2nd round.
Meh. That's what happens when you shit the bed at home against a subpar opponent, and lose back to back home games in the final stretch of the season. One of the BSC teams was going to lose out on a seed, and based on the final stretch, EWU didn't take care of business.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm How exactly did UNI make the playoffs? I know they have some strong wins, but it also looks as if they only have 5 FCS level wins.
A quality road win in week 2 of the season over the now #4 seed in the playoffs...kinda tells me how much they rated us for the selection...

...aside from that I got nothing. Where Clenzy to break this down for us?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm How exactly did UNI make the playoffs? I know they have some strong wins, but it also looks as if they only have 5 FCS level wins.
A quality road win in week 2 of the season over the now #4 seed in the playoffs...kinda tells me how much they rated us for the selection...

...aside from that I got nothing. Where Clenzy to break this down for us?
Congrats on your Big Sky conference championship.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz