Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-11

Post by JALMOND »

Columbus Day (or whatever it is called now) and with it comes a chill over most of the Big Sky, signaling the change from the sunny summertime to the chilly winter. A time when one has to transform from the fun of the summer to the work of winter. The same happens with the conference play where no game is a gimme and only the best team will make the correct adjustments as the season goes on. Here are this week's power rankings (last week's ranking in parenthesis). All are my opinion only.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 63-17, this week Idaho at home---The Eagles avoided the dreaded Grizzly hangover and came back from the Bear's den with a strong road win, keeping them at the top of the conference. Can they stay there? They have somewhat of a rival game this week with Idaho coming in to town, and those types of games can always be tricky.

2. Montana State (4)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 45-7, this week at Weber State---Probably the most consistent team in the conference so far. The Bobcats have taken care of business each game they have played and are just a late score away against a strong Wyoming team from being undefeated. Things begin to get more difficult however this weekend on a short week and on the road.

3. Montana (2)---Last week beat Dixie State (FCS transitional) at home 31-14, this week Sacramento State at home---After suffering a tough first loss on the road the previous week, last week was supposed to be a get well game for the Grizzlies and while they did get the win, it was anything but easy. Did an Eagle hangover come into play? Whatever it was, they better get it right with a tough opponent coming in.

4. Sacramento State (6)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 41-20, this week at Montana---The Hornets recovered nicely from their off week and got a good home win against one of the bottom feeders in the conference. But like with everyone else, things are about to get difficult as they head into one of the tougher places to play in the conference. A win would be good but is that asking too much?

5. UC Davis (3)---Last week lost at Idaho State 27-17, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Aggies found out how mysteriously tough the Bengal barn can be as the once perfect Aggie team could never get rolling. It is October and weird things do happen but this may be tough to recover. But the road to recovery begins with another bottom team on the slate and this game is at home.

6. Weber State (5)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---Ready to write off this potent Wildcat team? Not so fast. After a good first win, the Wildcats took last week off and now, after that off week, they bring in a strong conference opponent for a crazy Friday game at their home. October craziness in Ogden, can it get any better. Maybe if the Wildcats get the win.

7. Idaho (7)---Last week beat Portland State at home 42-35, this week at Eastern Washington---Talk about a weird way to end the game. After being pretty much in control of the game, the Vandals tried to give it all away, ultimately not choosing to run out the clock but gifting the Vikings a chance to tie it. But they still prevailed and now play the hottest team in the conference who won't need any help.

8. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week bye, this week Southern Utah at home---Heading into the off week last week, the Lumberjacks finally looked like a highly capable team in getting a strong win. They hope some of that carries forward as they play their pseudo-rivals in the last game as conference foes. A good win here could keep some of that momentum going through the rest of the season.

9. Idaho State (13)---Last week beat UC Davis at home 27-17, this week at Portland State---Given up for dead this season, the Bengals rose up and knocked off one of the conference heavies to possibly jump start their season back to life. They have to leave their cozy confines this week for another conference tilt but it feels better with a good win under their belt.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week lost at Idaho 42-35, this week Idaho State at home---It seems the way the Vikings are playing the season is to see how far behind they can be at the half and then try to gut out the win in the final moments of the game. Surprisingly, it almost worked last week. But can they win that way? They do have a winnable game at home this week, if they don't fall way behind to start.

11. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 63-17, this week at UC Davis---Probably the most inconsistent team in the conference, the Bears laid an egg against the hottest team last week at home. They now head out on the road to play a team smarting from a tough upset themselves who won't want to get another loss. The Bears may get the game, but it will be tough.

12. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost at Montana State 45-7, this week bye---The first game of the year against San Diego gave the Mustangs hope that this may be a good year, but they have fallen and fallen so far. Last week was not great for them. Next week does not look any better. This week may come at a good time to refocus on what needs to be done.

13. Southern Utah (12)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 41-20, this week at Northern Arizona---The farewell season has not gone quite as well as the Thunderbirds would have wanted, especially last week as they took one on the chin on the road. They say goodbye to one of their conference rivals this weekend. Maybe they can head home with a win to show for it.

RECAP: 1-3 breaking away, 4-6 trying to keep up, 7-8 holding on, 9-13 off the pace.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-11

Post by SuperHornet »

Pretty good as per usual. I do have a few (weak) caveats.

1. I'm not so sure I would have vaulted the Kitties over the Griz. As far as I'm concerned, Cal Poly is roughly equivalent to Dixie State, and Montana has consistently been better than MSU for quite some time.

2. I think I'm a little hesitant about putting Sac in the Top Four. Sure, we were rather impressive against a bottom-feeder, but that's supposed to be expected, right. I know UCD's unexpected loss has to fit in SOMEWHERE, but I'm not sure a two-spot drop fits here.

3. The bottom half is always hard to dissect, but I think you've done a good job with it.

My Top Six:

1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Montana State
4. UC Davis
5. Sac State
6. Weber State

Beyond that, it's a bit dicey for me....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:03 am Pretty good as per usual. I do have a few (weak) caveats.

1. I'm not so sure I would have vaulted the Kitties over the Griz. As far as I'm concerned, Cal Poly is roughly equivalent to Dixie State, and Montana has consistently been better than MSU for quite some time.

2. I think I'm a little hesitant about putting Sac in the Top Four. Sure, we were rather impressive against a bottom-feeder, but that's supposed to be expected, right. I know UCD's unexpected loss has to fit in SOMEWHERE, but I'm not sure a two-spot drop fits here.

3. The bottom half is always hard to dissect, but I think you've done a good job with it.

My Top Six:

1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Montana State
4. UC Davis
5. Sac State
6. Weber State

Beyond that, it's a bit dicey for me....
I'll take the easy one first then the more difficult...

2. I don't know if the Hornets right now are top 4 or not. It just kind of came down to they were able to eke out a win in that Pocatello barn and Davis was not. Weber has only two wins so I couldn't really put them at #4 just yet. Idaho, maybe, but Portland State had no business even having a chance to tie in that game. So by default, I went with the Hornets at #4.

1. After the close loss on national TV the week before, I thought the Grizzlies had a good opportunity for a strong statement win at home. I was looking for a win similar to what Davis did to Dixie State earlier when the Blazers went on the road there. It was definitely a strange game, and meanwhile, the Bobcats continued their roll. A loss, albeit to the best team in the conference, combined with a so-so performance against a weak opponent was enough for me to knock the Griz down a spot. I couldn't bump Sac State over the Griz yet. I'll save that if the Hornets get the win this week. :D
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

While I have faith that Sac will win this week, Jal, I'm not going so far as to guarantee it. SD made mention of Montana's FG woes this year over at SacBuzz, but I think that's balanced by their superior punting game. SD's point about Montana's D-Line is not to be ignored, though. Our O-Line is going to have to find a way to keep our run game moving against that brick wall. If that happens, I think we win. If not, Montana could be bringing in their second and third string during the third quarter....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Good job J, always a pleasure reading this.

I agree with SH on EWU - UM going 1-2.
Montana State hasn't played anyone tough other than Wyo so I think 3 is where they belong, for now.
The dunpilers should absolutely get punished for losing the in the Bengal Barn, especially in how they were dominated. It wasn't like it was that close of a game but having us jump from 6 to 4 is a bit of a stretch. Decisions decisions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:27 pm

2. Montana State (4)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 45-7, this week at Weber State---Probably the most consistent team in the conference so far. The Bobcats have taken care of business each game they have played and are just a late score away against a strong Wyoming team from being undefeated. Things begin to get more difficult however this weekend on a short week and on the road.

3. Montana (2)---Last week beat Dixie State (FCS transitional) at home 31-14, this week Sacramento State at home---After suffering a tough first loss on the road the previous week, last week was supposed to be a get well game for the Grizzlies and while they did get the win, it was anything but easy. Did an Eagle hangover come into play? Whatever it was, they better get it right with a tough opponent coming in.

Griz are on QB#2 and RB#4. To use your own logic, they are ALSO just a late hail mary TD pass away from being undefeated. Not sure how (given the lack of strength of MSU's schedule) you can move them ahead of the Griz at this point given the Griz QB was making his first college start.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:34 am

Griz are on QB#2 and RB#4. To use your own logic, they are ALSO just a late hail mary TD pass away from being undefeated. Not sure how (given the lack of strength of MSU's schedule) you can move them ahead of the Griz at this point given the Griz QB was making his first college start.
Bobcats have been beating up on inferior opponents, that is true. After the EWU loss, I was looking for the Griz to come out and easily put away an equally inferior opponent that had lost to three previous Big Sky teams by an average score of 40-8 (especially at the Griz den), all three by the way I have lower than the Griz. That didn't happen. A lackluster performance against a weaker opponent at home coming off the heels of a loss the previous week, in my opinion I had to knock the Griz down a spot.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Montana is also a couple of goal-line turnovers away from going down to the wire with Dixie State, a team that would be battling Cal Poly for last in the Big Sky.

The Griz running game is a concern at this point. They averaged 3.3 yards-per-carry against a Dixie team that was allowing 5.6 coming in.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:49 am

Bobcats have been beating up on inferior opponents, that is true. After the EWU loss, I was looking for the Griz to come out and easily put away an equally inferior opponent that had lost to three previous Big Sky teams by an average score of 40-8 (especially at the Griz den), all three by the way I have lower than the Griz. That didn't happen. A lackluster performance against a weaker opponent at home coming off the heels of a loss the previous week, in my opinion I had to knock the Griz down a spot.
Griz had six defensive starters down with the flu. And as I mentioned, were on QB2 and RB4 & 5. But whatever, doesn't matter where anybody stands midseason. Your opinion is your opinion. :thumb:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Montana is also a couple of goal-line turnovers away from going down to the wire with Dixie State, a team that would be battling Cal Poly for last in the Big Sky.

The Griz running game is a concern at this point. They averaged 3.3 yards-per-carry against a Dixie team that was allowing 5.6 coming in.
I watched most of that game. I took the play calling as breaking in the noobie QB. But that fake FG was just :shock: :| :ohno:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:40 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:55 pm

I watched most of that game. I took the play calling as breaking in the noobie QB. But that fake FG was just :shock: :| :ohno:
Yeah, that made no sense. Why are you calling fake field goals in the first half against a team you're supposed to beat by 30+? :?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:07 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:40 pm
Yeah, that made no sense. Why are you calling fake field goals in the first half against a team you're supposed to beat by 30+? :?
Is there a better time to run it than in a game that you’re almost certainly going to win?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:16 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Is there a better time to run it than in a game that you’re almost certainly going to win?
What's the point of running it if you can easily win without gimmicks? Also, Dixie was looking for the fake & the Griz didn't audible out of it.

This isn't the first weird fake FG situation for the Griz this year, either. Half the team thought it was a fake when EWU blocked that FG.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm

What's the point of running it if you can easily win without gimmicks? Also, Dixie was looking for the fake & the Griz didn't audible out of it.

This isn't the first weird fake FG situation for the Griz this year, either. Half the team thought it was a fake when EWU blocked that FG.
Agreed. Plus is gives opponents tape on what a fake FG would look like. You save those for when they are needed in a key situation against a tough matchup, not a team in which the 3rd string could easily beat.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

I’m not sure what’s going on with the FG team this year, but it’s out of sync. But you can practice and practice that play, but until you run it real time it’s difficult to get a handle on whether its going to work or not. Not sure why Dixie would be “looking for it”, given that BH, in his tenure has RARELY faked a punt or a FG. It’s just not in his nature…
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:26 pm

I’m not sure what’s going on with the FG team this year, but it’s out of sync. But you can practice and practice that play, but until you run it real time it’s difficult to get a handle on whether its going to work or not. Not sure why Dixie would be “looking for it”, given that BH, in his tenure has RARELY faked a punt or a FG. It’s just not in his nature…
Dixie was in a safe—they had multiple guys back & not rushing the kick.