Pioneer Championship

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Pioneer Championship

Post by SuperHornet »

Just wondering everyone's feelings on the Patriot this season. San Diego is having an epic bad year, in a year coincident with the rise of straight-from-D-III St. Thomas, which is doing VERY well (on the Pioneer level, anyway). After their game today, the Tommies are 2-1, 1-0 Pioneer. That record DOES, however, include a cancelled D-II game and a very bad loss to nationally ranked UNI.

This season is looking like a horse race with MANY teams vying for what will likely be a one-bid conference. Presbyterian, fresh from the Big South and with a crazy offense that probably has no business playing D-I ball, may be a factor, as will Dayton, who blew Presby out today. Butler was skunked by the Tommies. At least half the conference will be horrible, even in the world of non-scholarship D-I football.

So, does anyone think St. Thomas has a shot at the playoffs in their first year? Are they even eligible this year? Usually, transitioning teams are horrible, even in the Pioneer world, but they seem pretty competitive, at least on that level.
Last edited by SuperHornet on Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Patriot Championship

Post by BDKJMU »

The Patriot doesn’t have a championship. :?
And why did you title the thread ‘Patriot Championship’ and only talk about Pioneer teams? :suspicious:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:33 pm Just wondering everyone's feelings on the Patriot this season. San Diego is having an epic bad year, in a year coincident with the rise of straight-from-D-III St. Thomas, which is doing VERY well (on the Pioneer level, anyway). After their game today, the Tommies are 2-1, 1-0 Pioneer. That record DOES, however, include a cancelled D-II game and a very bad loss to nationally ranked UNI.

This season is looking like a horse race with MANY teams vying for what will likely be a one-bid conference. Presbyterian, fresh from the Big South and with a crazy offense that probably has no business playing D-I ball, may be a factor, as will Dayton, who blew Presby out today. Butler was skunked by the Tommies. At least half the conference will be horrible, even in the world of non-scholarship D-I football.

So, does anyone think St. Thomas has a shot at the playoffs in their first year? Are they even eligible this year? Usually, transitioning teams are horrible, even in the Pioneer world, but they seem pretty competitive, at least on that level.
St Thomas has a lot of money, rich alumni base. Many of the corporate types in the Twin Cities, go the for their MBA's. You will see the in the not so distant playoffs, once they become eligible.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Gil, of course, has a good contribution to the thread. I'm not so sure about BDK here. You do know, BDK, that most conference "champions" in FCS claim that championship on the basis of having the best regular season record in the conference, right? That's because our conferences correctly don't have enough teams to justify a money-making championship game. That's all I was saying. It's that "championship" that earns the auto-bid.

Thank you for your contribution, Gil.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:15 pm Gil, of course, has a good contribution to the thread. I'm not so sure about BDK here. You do know, BDK, that most conference "champions" in FCS claim that championship on the basis of having the best regular season record in the conference, right? That's because our conferences correctly don't have enough teams to justify a money-making championship game. That's all I was saying. It's that "championship" that earns the auto-bid.

Thank you for your contribution, Gil.
Most people say conference ‘Champion’ or ‘AQ’.

And you didn’t answer why you titled the thread ‘Patriot Championship’, but all you’ve talked about is Pioneer schools. :suspicious:

Since you asked about the Patriot, it looks like it will come down to Holy Cross and Fordham.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: Pioneer Championship

Post by SuperHornet »

Just realized what you were talking about, BDK.

:oops: