Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Predictions 9-18

Post by JALMOND »

I am off to a good start on these predictions (22-4) for the year so far, but things are getting tough. The last week for most before the conference slate begins and there are some good matchups involving Big Sky teams this weekend. Tough games, tough choices. Here is my attempt at perfection this week. Montana and Idaho State are off this week but everyone else plays.

South Dakota at CP---The Mustangs split their first two games and now get their home opener, bringing in a tough team from the Missouri Valley that took down one Big Sky team last week. The Mustangs return to the FCS level this week after playing in the FBS...CP 24, South Dakota 17.

EWU at Western Illinois---After a big FBS win, the Eagles played down a level last weekend and got the win there. Now they head back on the road to Missouri Valley country, playing a tough team that took one on the chin last week in Big Sky country...EWU 36, Western Illinois 33.

UI at Oregon State---The Vandals split their first two games, beating a lower division team and losing when they played up a level. They make a return to the FBS this time, venturing out to Pac-12 land. Maybe this time will be a little more kind to them, or maybe not...Oregon State 42, UI 14.

San Diego at MSU---Smarting from what should have been a quality win over the FBS in the opening weekend, the Bobcats took their frustrations out on the Pioneer League. They bring in another Pioneer team, one that has played two Big Sky teams and lost both games...MSU 41, San Diego 7.

NAU at Arizona---Still searching for their first win, the Lumberjacks head up a level to play their big brothers who are also reeling a bit. The Lumberjacks could pull off the upset here but it will take perfection to beat even a lower tier Pac-12 team...Arizona 35, NAU 27.

Lamar at UNC---Nothing much was expected of the Bears heading into this season, yet they are playing some good football so far in this young season. Returning home after beating the Southland, they get another Southland team at home this weekend...UNC 31, Lamar 21.

Western Oregon at PSU---While it seems everyone else in the conference is winning with defense, the Vikings still want to outscore their opponents. While it remains to be seen if that will work in conference games, they get a lower division team this week to beat up...PSU 49, Western Oregon 21.

SAC at California---One would think the Hornets have the horses to give their big Pac-12 brothers a game here and they probably do. But winning the game is different than actually staying within reach and the Hornets may not be able to come out on top...California 31, SAC 27.

Tarleton State vs. SUU at Arlington, TX---The Thunderbirds had two weeks to prepare for this game before they start their final Big Sky conference season and they go out to a "neutral" site to face what will soon be a conference foe. Was there enough preparation here?...Tarleton State 28, SUU 21.

Dixie State at UCD---The Aggies come in to this game looking really good and get a team that is playing their third Big Sky opponent, still looking for a win. Can the Aggies continue their perfect season so far and take down an upset-minded opponent?...UCD 27, Dixie State 12.

James Madison at WSU---The Wildcats lost to the Pac-12 and then got an easy win over an FCS transitional team. Did it prepare them for this exciting matchup with a formidable foe from the east? This is one of the highlighted games in the country this weekend...WSU 21, James Madison 17.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Big Sky Predictions 9-18

Post by SDHornet »

South Dakota over CP
EWU over WIU
Oregon State over UI
MSU over San Diego
UofA over NAU
UNC over Lamar
PSU over Western Oregon
Cal over Sac State
Tarleton State over SUU
dungpilers over DSU
WSU over JMU
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

South Dakota d. @ CP 35-12---Cow Poly hasn't been trustworthy to win interregional games for years.

EWU d. @ Western Illinois 42-21---Eags prep for a playoff run.

@ Oregon State d. UI 31-3---Normally, one would expect the Beavers to play down to the level of the opponent, but Idalol isn't capable of living up to that.

@ MSU d. San Diego 35-10---Is San Diego thinking about moving into a full-schollie league? If so, they're not quite ready yet, playing what for them is sub-par.

@ Arizona d. NAU 31-24---I think NAU over-scheduled OOC this year. AZ is sub-par, but should still have enough to outlast the Skydomers.

Lamar d. @ UNC 24-21 ---Can't expect much from THIS game, but UNC has issues with inter-regional games.

@ PSU d. Western Oregon 27-10---Both teams have struggled this year, but that's to be understood for PSU given that they were playing up at HI and Wazzu. Problem: Wazzu normally plays down to the level of competition like Oregon State, so PSU SHOULD have made a better showing. Yet WOU has had problems against D-II #10 Colorado School of Mines and Texas A&I. I think this balances out in favor of the Viks.

SAC d. @ California 35-27---Hornets finally get everything in gear.

Tarleton State d. SUU at Arlington, TX 31-15---This is a confusing one. Why the neutral site? I can't trust SUU for ANYTHING despite the fact that Tarleton is still waffling as a transitional school. They DID handle their D-II opponent rather handily last week, and were respectable in defeat against SFA. SUU has looked horrible against both a ranked Danny White University and a rather weak G5 that SHOULD have been more of a peer matchup. I'll give Tarleton the edge.

@ UCD d. Dixie State 63-6---As much as I hate to admit it, the Manure Pile is quite possibly looking at a seed later this year. Dixie is proving VERY transitional, yet seems to be at least TRYING to make the move, as they've had the guts almost completely discard the D-II OOC scheduling (only Fort Lewis in the penultimate game), and many on the Dixie schedule are currently ranked, including #1 Sam Houston State. But that kind of guts, while admirable, won't help them right now. UCD wins big, but Dixie will hopefully improve in outyears as they up their recruiting.

James Madison d. @ WSU 31-28---An interesting matchup. JMU blew out a couple of FCS pansies, while BBQ lost rather respectably to a ranked FBS school and destroyed transitional Dixie State. This is BBQ's first game involving a team outside the state of Utah. My heart says BBQ wins, but I'm going with my head: JMU in a close one.
Last edited by SuperHornet on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

EWU 38-14 Willynois — The Leathernecks were picked last in the MVFC, and nothing they did in Missoula suggested that was inaccurate

Woe-regon 10-49 Portland St.This is surprisingly WOU's first FCS game in 4 years

SoDak 31-28 Cal Poly — The 'Stangs looked better than expected against the other USD, but they didn't look good at all against Fresno

Whistlin' Dixie 7-45 DavisNothing we've seen from these two teams suggests this'll be close

Sac State 13-38 CalWill this be Cal's third-straight close game? Nah…

Idalol 14-44 Oregon St.These two teams only played once the entire time Idaho was I-A/FBS :?

Suutah 28-31 Tarleton St.I don't think either of these teams is any good, but you never know

JMU 21-23 WeberThe uglier the game, the better Weber's chances

NAU 14-42 ArizonaThe theme song for this game should be Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'"

San Diego 14-45 Montana St.I'm not sure this Torero team is even gonna have a chance to pull a playoff upset

Lamar 27-45 NoCoWas Northern Colorado that good, or was Houston Baptist that bad?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I didn't get to see the game because I was at the Frogtown Cross Country Invitational (big mistake with my knee on a hilly course), but I'm really disappointed. SD will have more of an opinion later, but I did just see on SacBuzz that we apparently had a chance, but left several chip shot FGs on the table. I guess we should think about pulling a Vanderbilt....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND not going to have such a good weekend this weekend….
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

With Weber’s starting QB out, I’m surprised that everyone except SH picked Weber,
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm With Weber’s starting QB out, I’m surprised that everyone except SH picked Weber,
I didn't know he was out until today. :oops:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:53 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm With Weber’s starting QB out, I’m surprised that everyone except SH picked Weber,
He was injured last week vs Dixie St, and was announced nid week he wouldn’t be playing.
https://www.abc4.com/sports/weber-state ... wdown/amp/
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I didn't know that, either, but you know me. I may have SOME analysis, but with some teams, I tend to pick by heart, and sometimes it comes back to bite me, as it did here....

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm

He was injured last week vs Dixie St, and was announced mid week he wouldn’t be playing.
And the Weber 3rd QB who started the 2nd half overall looked way better/more effective than the 2nd QB who started the 1st half. The 2nd string QB was a runner, but coulnd’t pass worth a damn. And he was trying to run against one if the top, if not top, rush defense in FCS. The 3rd Weber QB wasn’t as good a runner, but a pretty good passer.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:01 pm I am off to a good start on these predictions (22-4) for the year so far, but things are getting tough. The last week for most before the conference slate begins and there are some good matchups involving Big Sky teams this weekend. Tough games, tough choices. Here is my attempt at perfection this week. Montana and Idaho State are off this week but everyone else plays.

South Dakota at CP---The Mustangs split their first two games and now get their home opener, bringing in a tough team from the Missouri Valley that took down one Big Sky team last week. The Mustangs return to the FCS level this week after playing in the FBS...CP 24, South Dakota 17.

EWU at Western Illinois---After a big FBS win, the Eagles played down a level last weekend and got the win there. Now they head back on the road to Missouri Valley country, playing a tough team that took one on the chin last week in Big Sky country...EWU 36, Western Illinois 33.

UI at Oregon State---The Vandals split their first two games, beating a lower division team and losing when they played up a level. They make a return to the FBS this time, venturing out to Pac-12 land. Maybe this time will be a little more kind to them, or maybe not...Oregon State 42, UI 14.

San Diego at MSU---Smarting from what should have been a quality win over the FBS in the opening weekend, the Bobcats took their frustrations out on the Pioneer League. They bring in another Pioneer team, one that has played two Big Sky teams and lost both games...MSU 41, San Diego 7.

NAU at Arizona---Still searching for their first win, the Lumberjacks head up a level to play their big brothers who are also reeling a bit. The Lumberjacks could pull off the upset here but it will take perfection to beat even a lower tier Pac-12 team...Arizona 35, NAU 27.

Lamar at UNC---Nothing much was expected of the Bears heading into this season, yet they are playing some good football so far in this young season. Returning home after beating the Southland, they get another Southland team at home this weekend...UNC 31, Lamar 21.

Western Oregon at PSU---While it seems everyone else in the conference is winning with defense, the Vikings still want to outscore their opponents. While it remains to be seen if that will work in conference games, they get a lower division team this week to beat up...PSU 49, Western Oregon 21.

SAC at California---One would think the Hornets have the horses to give their big Pac-12 brothers a game here and they probably do. But winning the game is different than actually staying within reach and the Hornets may not be able to come out on top...California 31, SAC 27.

Tarleton State vs. SUU at Arlington, TX---The Thunderbirds had two weeks to prepare for this game before they start their final Big Sky conference season and they go out to a "neutral" site to face what will soon be a conference foe. Was there enough preparation here?...Tarleton State 28, SUU 21.

Dixie State at UCD---The Aggies come in to this game looking really good and get a team that is playing their third Big Sky opponent, still looking for a win. Can the Aggies continue their perfect season so far and take down an upset-minded opponent?...UCD 27, Dixie State 12.

James Madison at WSU---The Wildcats lost to the Pac-12 and then got an easy win over an FCS transitional team. Did it prepare them for this exciting matchup with a formidable foe from the east? This is one of the highlighted games in the country this weekend...WSU 21, James Madison 17.
6-5 this week, still above .500. 28-9 overall.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

I actually knew he was out. I was betting on Weber's defense to look a bit better than they did. Actually, most of the Big Sky defenses took a beating this week.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 am
I actually knew he was out. I was betting on Weber's defense to look a bit better than they did. Actually, most of the Big Sky defenses took a beating this week.
Except for, ironically, NAU's.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:42 am
JALMOND wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 am

Except for, ironically, NAU's.
And UM’s. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm

He was injured last week vs Dixie St, and was announced nid week he wouldn’t be playing.
I missed this too. No wonder JMU won easily.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:52 pm I didn't get to see the game because I was at the Frogtown Cross Country Invitational (big mistake with my knee on a hilly course), but I'm really disappointed. SD will have more of an opinion later, but I did just see on SacBuzz that we apparently had a chance, but left several chip shot FGs on the table. I guess we should think about pulling a Vanderbilt....
Just posted on SB, but the Hornets looks a lot better (offensively) than I expected. Defense did about what I expected, just didn't have the size to battle Cal's OL. ST's killed us yeaterday. 2 missed chip shot FGs and a kick return for a TD given up. ST's comes through and that game comes down to the wire.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:11 am South Dakota over CP
EWU over WIU
Oregon State over UI
MSU over San Diego
UofA over NAU
UNC over Lamar