STATS Perform Pre-Season Poll

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

STATS Perform Pre-Season Poll

Post by SuperHornet »

No, no, and [Bleep] NO to the Manure Pile in the Top 25 with Sac State relegated to the ORV....

The Top 10 seems about right (except for the Sioux), but the Kitties are way too high. Normally, I wouldn't want to see a team with a losing record in there, but Austin Peay had some major issues last fall that seemed to disappear during the spring season, so I think they get a pass...though I still want revenge for the '19 playoffs. The rest of the poll seems OK, but kick the Manure Pile out...PLEASE!!!!!

https://bigskyconf.com/news/2021/8/9/fo ... rBtepNkhAw

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: STATS Perform Pre-Season Poll

Post by 89Hen »

10. Jacksonville State

They just can't help themselves.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:15 pm 10. Jacksonville State

They just can't help themselves.
:lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Posted on the JMU board:
WAC:
2021:
-Texas 4’ (SHSU, Steven F Austin, Lamar, Abilene Christian) joins. Apparently the Texas 4 wasn’t going to join till 2022, but the Southland Conference gave them the boot early.
-Dixie & Tarleton are still transitioning & are still playoff ineligible).
2022: S Utah joins.
2024: UT Rio Grand Valley, a startup, joins).

ASUN
2021: 3 new football members (UCA, EKU, JSU).
2022: KSU & N Alabama join.

The 2021 ‘WAC/ASUN Challenge’ pits the 7 WAC and ASUN playoff eligible schools playing each other. They petitioned the NCAA for the winner of the 7 playoff eligible schools to get an AQ, and got it. Figure SHSU gets the AQ and could be 1-2 at large.

But now the Southland, down to 6 football members, and the OVC, down to 7 teams, are probably now both 1 bid leagues, as opposed to the usual 2-3 teams in from the Southland, and the OVC often got a 2nd team in.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

In reference to the above, here’s how I see the playoff breakdown for the 11 AQ conferences/22 of the playoff spots:
CAA: 4
MVFC: 4
Big Sky: 4
So-Con: 2
WAC/ASUN: 2
Southland: 1
OVC: 1
Big South: 1 (Maybe Monmouth and KSU both get in)
NEC: 1
Patriot: 1
Pioneer: 1

Last 2 At Large could go anywhere except those last 3 conferences. If anyone gets 5 will probably be the MVFC..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

The AQ7 has an AQ
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

My 1st post was jacked up, fixed it.
-Tarleton & Dixie St will be WAC, not ASUN.
-KSU & N Alabama will be joing ASUN 2022.
-The winner of the WAC/ASUN challenge will have an AQ.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:36 am No, no, and [Bleep] NO to the Manure Pile in the Top 25 with Sac State relegated to the ORV....

The Top 10 seems about right (except for the Sioux), but the Kitties are way too high. Normally, I wouldn't want to see a team with a losing record in there, but Austin Peay had some major issues last fall that seemed to disappear during the spring season, so I think they get a pass...though I still want revenge for the '19 playoffs. The rest of the poll seems OK, but kick the Manure Pile out...PLEASE!!!!!

1. Whatch your fucking profanity
2. What about Sac State makes you think they're top 25? They haven't played in 2 years. The last time they played was a first round playoff loss, at home. Defensively they lost something like 7 of their top 11 defenders in terms of production. They lost multiple starters on the OL. Most importantly they lost their QB from that team. In the games/time he missed Sac State looked REEEAALLLLY bad. He isn't walking back on campus.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

clenz wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:00 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:36 am No, no, and [Bleep] NO to the Manure Pile in the Top 25 with Sac State relegated to the ORV....

2. What about Sac State makes you think they're top 25? They haven't played in 2 years. The last time they played was a first round playoff loss, at home. Defensively they lost something like 7 of their top 11 defenders in terms of production. They lost multiple starters on the OL. Most importantly they lost their QB from that team. In the games/time he missed Sac State looked REEEAALLLLY bad. He isn't walking back on campus.
Troy Taylor and they aren’t the only program who’s gone through a lot of turnover (coaching staffs included). The one’s remaining got a taste for success. This year is still very much a mystery/wildcard.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:09 pm
clenz wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Troy Taylor and they aren’t the only program who’s gone through a lot of turnover (coaching staffs included). The one’s remaining got a taste for success. This year is still very much a mystery/wildcard.
And if we look at Sac State's history there is nothing to show us that that "taste" means anything

On top of that, the last 5-8 years has shown us the Big Sky is great at producing one off wonders that come from being shit to winning the conference to going back to being shit

2019: Sac State preseason polls 11/12 finished T-1
-Sac State was 20-35 in the 5 years before that. Add in the last 30 years and they are 106-180-1. TBD what the follow up is...but...uh....history as a program and as a conference (As we can clearly see) isn't on their side.

Let's also keep in mind their wins were
D2
9th place 2-10 Northern Coloardo (whose wins were also bottom of the league teams)
A 6 D1 win EWU that didn't beat anyone outside of the trash of the league ind Portland State, Poly, ISUo, NAU, UNC and UND
3 win Cal Poly
4 win NAU - which took an epic NAU collapse. This was a game without Thomson and Sac State looked bad but nothing like NAU completely melting down and blowing a 10 point lead in the final minute.
4 D1 win Idaho - who had wins against Poly, ISUo, NAU and EWU
5 win Portland State who had wins against a nonscholarship team, a Patriot team that flew all the way across the country, Cal Poly, Portland State, and 3 win Portalnd State (who also only beat teams in the circle of suck that was the bottom 9 of the Big Sky)
I will grant the Montana and Montana State wins as being nice, but again Thomson ain't walking through that door again to throw for nearly 800 yards and 7 TD in those games this year again

Let's talk about what happened when Sac State played a good team when they didn't have a healthy Thomson - Weber State. He did play in that game, some. Went 9-18. The back up went 12-24. That was a 36-10 lead for Weber State until a garbage time touchdown for Sac put it to 36-17. Even though he played he wasn't able to make plays and that offense was just trash. Leading rusher had just 35 yards, combined for less than 300 yards passing, and there just was no threat from that offense.

The playoff game was 35-7 in the third quarter in favor of Peay. 42-14 with under 8 minutes left. A couple late scores that never posed a threat made the game look far closer than it was.
2018: UC Davis preseason polls 9/9 finished T-1
- Much like 2019 Sac State they had a QB/WR combo that was a one in a program situation for them. I'm going to back back only to when they joined the Big Sky, but going back further really only makes my point. Between 2012 and the 2018 season Davis was 21-46 overall and had an average finish of 9th - which was skewed up quite a bit because in a 5 win season they somehow managed to finish 4th in the Big Sky. How did they follow up 2018? They went 5-7 in 2019 and then 3-2 in the spring beating trash pandas like Idaho, Poly (who shut their program down they were getting shit stomped so badly) and Idaho State
2017: SUU pre season polls 7/ 7 finished T-1
Since 2017 SUU is 10-24 with all of their wins being non-D1 or within the circle of suck at the bottom of the Big Sky. Between 200-2016 (I stopped at 2000 because my point was being made) they had more seasons under 3 wins than they had over 6 - and that includes being a first round playoff losing team in 13 and 15
2016: UND preseason polls 5/5 finish T-1
Joined Big Sky in 2012 and was good enough to finish dead middle of the pack outside of one year they had 3 wins leading up to 2016. Even in 2016 when they went 8-0 they didn't play EWU or Weber State. They did beat 4th place Cal Poly - who was the team that infamously lost to San Diego first round. 6 of their conference games were against the bottom 8 of the league. They followed that season up by going 3-8, 6-5, and 7-5 and still have yet to win a playoff game at the D1 level.
2015: SUU preseason 8/8 finish 1st [PSU 9/12 T-2]
2014: ISU preseason 12/10 finish T-2

Do i really need to get into just how shit of programs SUU, PSU, and ISUO were in the years leading up to those one off seasons and how badly they've fallen on their face since? I think we all get the picture right? The Big Sky is known, recently, for producing teams that are consistently good but usually struggle to win the conference title consistently/outright (EWU, Montana, Weber State, Montana State) and then 10 really bad programs that seem to have one flash in the pan pop up out of nowhere one year - largely aided by getting to avoid EWU, Montana, Weber State, Montana - or at the very least avoid them in a combination that allows for a slip up) - and then going straight back to where they came because that season was propped up by one or two diamond in the rough type players and a coach that finds a way to greatly over achieve for one year and is never able to replicate it again.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:56 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:09 pm

And if we look at Sac State's history there is nothing to show us that that "taste" means anything

On top of that, the last 5-8 years has shown us the Big Sky is great at producing one off wonders that come from being shit to winning the conference to going back to being shit

2019: Sac State preseason polls 11/12 finished T-1
-Sac State was 20-35 in the 5 years before that. Add in the last 30 years and they are 106-180-1. TBD what the follow up is...but...uh....history as a program and as a conference (As we can clearly see) isn't on their side.

Let's also keep in mind their wins were
D2
9th place 2-10 Northern Coloardo (whose wins were also bottom of the league teams)
A 6 D1 win EWU that didn't beat anyone outside of the trash of the league ind Portland State, Poly, ISUo, NAU, UNC and UND
3 win Cal Poly
4 win NAU - which took an epic NAU collapse. This was a game without Thomson and Sac State looked bad but nothing like NAU completely melting down and blowing a 10 point lead in the final minute.
4 D1 win Idaho - who had wins against Poly, ISUo, NAU and EWU
5 win Portland State who had wins against a nonscholarship team, a Patriot team that flew all the way across the country, Cal Poly, Portland State, and 3 win Portalnd State (who also only beat teams in the circle of suck that was the bottom 9 of the Big Sky)
I will grant the Montana and Montana State wins as being nice, but again Thomson ain't walking through that door again to throw for nearly 800 yards and 7 TD in those games this year again

Let's talk about what happened when Sac State played a good team when they didn't have a healthy Thomson - Weber State. He did play in that game, some. Went 9-18. The back up went 12-24. That was a 36-10 lead for Weber State until a garbage time touchdown for Sac put it to 36-17. Even though he played he wasn't able to make plays and that offense was just trash. Leading rusher had just 35 yards, combined for less than 300 yards passing, and there just was no threat from that offense.

The playoff game was 35-7 in the third quarter in favor of Peay. 42-14 with under 8 minutes left. A couple late scores that never posed a threat made the game look far closer than it was.
2018: UC Davis preseason polls 9/9 finished T-1
- Much like 2019 Sac State they had a QB/WR combo that was a one in a program situation for them. I'm going to back back only to when they joined the Big Sky, but going back further really only makes my point. Between 2012 and the 2018 season Davis was 21-46 overall and had an average finish of 9th - which was skewed up quite a bit because in a 5 win season they somehow managed to finish 4th in the Big Sky. How did they follow up 2018? They went 5-7 in 2019 and then 3-2 in the spring beating trash pandas like Idaho, Poly (who shut their program down they were getting shit stomped so badly) and Idaho State
2017: SUU pre season polls 7/ 7 finished T-1
Since 2017 SUU is 10-24 with all of their wins being non-D1 or within the circle of suck at the bottom of the Big Sky. Between 200-2016 (I stopped at 2000 because my point was being made) they had more seasons under 3 wins than they had over 6 - and that includes being a first round playoff losing team in 13 and 15
2016: UND preseason polls 5/5 finish T-1
Joined Big Sky in 2012 and was good enough to finish dead middle of the pack outside of one year they had 3 wins leading up to 2016. Even in 2016 when they went 8-0 they didn't play EWU or Weber State. They did beat 4th place Cal Poly - who was the team that infamously lost to San Diego first round. 6 of their conference games were against the bottom 8 of the league. They followed that season up by going 3-8, 6-5, and 7-5 and still have yet to win a playoff game at the D1 level.
2015: SUU preseason 8/8 finish 1st [PSU 9/12 T-2]
2014: ISU preseason 12/10 finish T-2

Do i really need to get into just how shit of programs SUU, PSU, and ISUO were in the years leading up to those one off seasons and how badly they've fallen on their face since? I think we all get the picture right? The Big Sky is known, recently, for producing teams that are consistently good but usually struggle to win the conference title consistently/outright (EWU, Montana, Weber State, Montana State) and then 10 really bad programs that seem to have one flash in the pan pop up out of nowhere one year - largely aided by getting to avoid EWU, Montana, Weber State, Montana - or at the very least avoid them in a combination that allows for a slip up) - and then going straight back to where they came because that season was propped up by one or two diamond in the rough type players and a coach that finds a way to greatly over achieve for one year and is never able to replicate it again.
We'll probably beat UNI at home, but I'm labeling that a loss to not further your depression and anxiety. :coffee:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

You get UNI a week after they face a top 5-10 FBS program with a mid-afternoon/evening kick there and then kick off after 8 local time.

There's a 1000% chance UNI comes out slow for that game.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 pm You get UNI a week after they face a top 5-10 FBS program with a mid-afternoon/evening kick there and then kick off after 8 local time.

I didn't realize that. Good, like our chances even better now.

BTW we lost our QB, but Taylor stocked up on a MTSU grad transfer and a Nevada drop down. We'll be fine at QB. Our defense is where the question marks are.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:24 pm
clenz wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 pm You get UNI a week after they face a top 5-10 FBS program with a mid-afternoon/evening kick there and then kick off after 8 local time.

BTW we lost our QB, but Taylor stocked up on a MTSU grad transfer and a Nevada drop down. We'll be fine at QB. Our defense is where the question marks are.
That sure sounds familiar, SD. It sounds like my Cowboys. If last Thursday's game is any indication, the defense-centric draft did absolutely no good, and we're in for a long year. Knowing Taylor, though, the same will NOT be true of the Hornets. The main difference I see between the Hornets and the Cowboys is in the quality of the coaching staffs. As much as I was pulling for others, Taylor was the right call for the Hornets. McCarthy is decidedly NOT the right call for the Cowboys....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I will also tell you that Sac State, in 2019, didn't face a defense that is a fraction of what they are going to face from UNI.....a defense that returns all 11 starters from the spring and actually gets 2 more starters back that were out with injury.

A defense that over the last 8 years has allowed less than 18 points per game, 3 yards per carry, less than 205 yards passing per game, and has as many interceptions as touchdowns allowed through the air.

You better pray that your OL and brand new QB have their timing down to the fractions of a second.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:28 am

I will also tell you that Sac State, in 2019, didn't face a defense that is a fraction of what they are going to face from UNI.....a defense that returns all 11 starters from the spring and actually gets 2 more starters back that were out with injury.

A defense that over the last 8 years has allowed less than 18 points per game, 3 yards per carry, less than 205 yards passing per game, and has as many interceptions as touchdowns allowed through the air.

You better pray that your OL and brand new QB have their timing down to the fractions of a second.
Stop it. UNI sucks. We're going to get our asses kicked. We'll be lucky to win a game this fall.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:33 am

Stop it. UNI sucks. We're going to get our asses kicked. We'll be lucky to win a game this fall.
Notice I talked about the defense and defense alone.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:00 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:33 am
The defense will be stellar as usual.

How is McElvain looking? Weston's health?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:33 am
clenz wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:00 am

The defense will be stellar as usual.

How is McElvain looking? Weston's health?
Weston and Logan Wolf are both said to be 100% healthy.

QB is up in the air. I think there are 7 QBs in the room right now

Will, Justin Fomby, and Nate Martens who have been on campus and fighting for the job. Fomby started when Will was out with COVID protocols and performed far better than Will had in the spring.

Farley talked about needing more competition in the room to drive whoever gets the job to be better.

Michigan State transfer Theo Day was brought in. The new staff at Michigan Stat didn't have plans for him.
A JUCO transfer from Illinois was brought in to fight for the job as well.
Then there is a couple of freshman
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Number 4 is about right where I would put us. Have to see what/who the new QB is.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yawn. I'm definitely not worried about UNI's defense. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Another thing to remember:
"For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team’s scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season."

"This does not mean a college will go over the limit of maximum scholarships. Each school will decide how many scholarships they can fund for each team depending on their budget. In a recent survey, 80% of college coaches said they do not plan on cutting scholarships as part of their budget cutting measures. For recruits pursuing an athletic scholarship, hopefully this means the maximum, and possibly over the maximum number of scholarships, will be available for the 2021-22 school year.

Here is an example of how this could play out for a college team:

- A fully funded NCAA D1 FBS football team has a maximum of 85 scholarships. All D1 FBS scholarships are full-rides.
- For the 2020-21 season, the team has 25 seniors on scholarship. Let’s say all of these seniors get an extra year of eligibility.
- For the 2021-22 school year, this program could bring back up to 25 seniors and all of those seniors are eligible to keep their scholarships.
- If the school is able to fund the maximum number of scholarships it can for the 2021-22 school year, they could have 110 athletes on scholarships. That means 25 returning seniors and 85 others.

The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.
https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus- ... oronavirus
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

As far as JMU‘s 2 deep, had 4 transfer out & 3 graduated/decided not to return. Those were offset by 7 transfers (4 I-AA/3 I-A). 12 of 23 Fr were signees. Are 19 SRs, apparently 17 of whom are ‘super seniors’ with an extra season of eligibility 5th-6th yr & don‘t count agaibst the 63 limit. I‘m guessing that JMU will have ballpark 80 full schollies they are utilizing. I imagine at least some of other schools are in the same boat..

Seems like across the board JMU is deeper than its ever been. Well, the difference is all the extra schollies, players with an extra season of eligibility + bunch of injured back.

Think for a lot of teams will be deeper than they usually are, with some deeper than they‘ve ever been.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:15 pm

So...

uh...

Care to wager on the game this weekend given we have now seen both teams play?

Well, I've watched both teams play. I doubt you watched the UNI game

I have avatars signatures turned off. Couldn't tell you what I have for either, if I have one at all. Put them on the line?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:40 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:15 pm

So...

uh...

Care to wager on the game this weekend given we have now seen both teams play?

Well, I've watched both teams play. I doubt you watched the UNI game

I have avatars signatures turned off. Couldn't tell you what I have for either, if I have one at all. Put them on the line?
Saw maybe 10 minutes of the UNI-ISU game. I plan to watch it on replay sometime this week. I'll wager even though I don't think the Hornets win. I had this game as a coin flip pre-season. Based on week 1 performances UNI should win. Hornet OL looked awful and out of shape.

$50 to the winner's local animal shelter, paid for by the loser?