Semifinal #3 JMU (7-0/3-0) @ #2 SHSU (8-0/6-0), Saturday, 5/8, 2:30 PM EST, ABC.

Football Championship Subdivision discussions

Who wins, JMU, or SHSU?

JMU
42%
SHSU
58%

Total votes: 12

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Semifinal #3 JMU (7-0/3-0) @ #2 SHSU (8-0/6-0), Saturday, 5/8, 2:30 PM EST, ABC.

Post by BDKJMU »

Don't know who this guy is, but he can't be any worse than Craig Haley..

James Madison vs Sam Houston Prediction, Game Preview: FCS Playoffs
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-BB1gjQXB
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: Semifinal #3 JMU (7-0/3-0) @ #2 SHSU (8-0/6-0), Saturday, 5/8, 2:30 PM EST, ABC.

Post by BDKJMU »

McFeely: Sam Houston coach Keeler wasn't just blowing smoke.
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... wing-smoke
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I voted for Sam Houston State because I don't think JMU has looked all that good in their first two playoff games and Sam Houston State is at home. But I hope I am wrong because I can't stand Sam Houston State. I don't think they have all that good a team. But in watching the early playoff games I've come to believe that NOBODY has a really great team this year so Sam Houston State has a shot.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:38 pm McFeely: Sam Houston coach Keeler wasn't just blowing smoke.
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... wing-smoke
It wasn't that it wasn't the same Sam Houston State team. It was that it was a different North Dakota State team. Not that they were bad. They were a playoff caliber team. But they weren't like the North Dakota State teams Sam Houston State played in the past.

I don't think this is a particularly outstanding Sam Houston State team. They have had better teams relative to the rest of I-AA/FCS in the past. The two best teams they've had relative to the rest of the subdivision were the 2011 and 2012 teams. Unfortunately for them, those were years in which North Dakota State had great teams. This year, North Dakota State did not have a great team. I don't think anybody else does either.

I watched Sam Houston State several times this year playing in the Southland. They're not that great. They struggled with Southeastern Louisiana, McNeese, and Northwestern State. If they were playing in the MVFC they may not have even made the playoffs. Yet they have a chance because nobody else looks that good either.
Could I ever be a star?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:54 am

UD has a later calendar - exams are still two weeks away and graduation is Memorial Day weekend.
Later this year because of the virus, or is that every year?
Every year - UD has a 6 week winter session (can take up to 7 credits, so good deal) that means that they don't start the spring semester until the middle of February. Downside is they are at least a week later for spring break than most other colleges and finals could go as late as May 27th this year (believe commencement is May 29th). Another downside is that they don't have the full number of kids on campus until mid February, which really puts a damper on student attendance at basketball games.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

The JMU/SHSU game starts 2:30 EST, but the ABC affiliate in the Philly area isn't joining the game until 3:30 because of the Union soccer game & post game, at least according to my channel guide. F'ucking commie sport. Glad I'll be watching down in VA.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Tomorrow Huntsville at kickoff calling for 85, heat Index 88. High 87, heat index of 90. In Harrisonburg earlier this week was 70s-mid 80s, so don't see much of an advantage for SHSU here unless they are deeper.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

From the Bronx to Maine (2018 All CAA, over 1k yd as a true Fr, lost in semis @ EWU) to Garden City CC to SHSU. Ironically, Corey Hetherman and Matt Birkett were in the same roles on the Maine staff back then.
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/be ... k-in-semis
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I just hope JMU wins.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:14 pm I just hope JMU wins.
I figured you's be rooting for SHSU because:
-They're a fellow conference mate of McNeese.
-Me. :D
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

JMU vs SHSU will be the first FCS game I can watch using my OTA antenna. I know, riveting.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sam winning 3-0
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

What's with that construction shit pile? Holy hell, throw a banner over that pile if you have to.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Who won?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well that sucked. You have to give Sam Houston State credit for the comeback, but, at the same time it was like a born under a bad sign thing for JMU. Sam Houston getting those two back to back fluke turnovers then scoring 14 points off of them was huge. Then JMU is getting into position to have a chance to tie or win the game and their starting quarterback gets knocked out.

JMU out gained Sam Houston State 430 to 332 in total yards and had 23 first downs to Sam Houston State's 18. They really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Lady luck being on Sam Houston State's side had something to do with it too.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:27 pm Well that sucked. You have to give Sam Houston State credit for the comeback, but, at the same time it was like a born under a bad sign thing for JMU. Sam Houston getting those two back to back fluke turnovers then scoring 14 points off of them was huge. Then JMU is getting into position to have a chance to tie or win the game and their starting quarterback gets knocked out.

JMU out gained Sam Houston State 430 to 332 in total yards and had 23 first downs to Sam Houston State's 18. They really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Lady luck being on Sam Houston State's side had something to do with it too.
:suspicious: You state "You have to give Sam Houston State credit for the comeback" and then go on to list a bunch of things that diminish that credit. :blah:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:15 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:27 pm Well that sucked. You have to give Sam Houston State credit for the comeback, but, at the same time it was like a born under a bad sign thing for JMU. Sam Houston getting those two back to back fluke turnovers then scoring 14 points off of them was huge. Then JMU is getting into position to have a chance to tie or win the game and their starting quarterback gets knocked out.

:suspicious: You state "You have to give Sam Houston State credit for the comeback" and then go on to list a bunch of things that diminish that credit. :blah:
Yes. They deserve credit. If they didn't keep playing and make plays the wouldn't have come back. But they got lucky too. That was a factor. I think JMU was physically the better team. But that happens. I've said many times over the years that you don't have to be the best team to win and that random chance plays a role. But you have to play well enough so that the chance makes a difference between winning and losing.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well that sucked. I would say congrats to SHSU but there is no SHSU poster here. Crazy game. Never seen JMU score 24 unanswered in a quarter and lose. Having SHSHU scoring 28 unaswered 3rd to early 4th was an epic collapse by JMU.

-Didn’t help plying against SHSU 3-4 wodeout sets, with several stud WR and that SHSU QB, JMU not having their best cover corner (the one who had the groin injury makibg the INT vs UND)
-Almost everyone comes back in 3 months. Only one I heard is leaving so far is the All CAA OG. But get AA OT back from injury.
-Get a handful of other injured back, inckuding 3 would be starters who missed the season
-Have a couple new transfers that will be available in the Fall (Ohio St DT and Towson All CAA DE so far).

I’m sure will have a couple of departures before summer camp starts in about 3 months, but I expectd JMU to be loaded for another deep playoff run as an NC contender.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 pm SHSHU scoring 28 unaswered 3rd to early 4th was an epic collapse by JMU.
I turned the channel for what seemed to be five minutes and thought I was seeing the score wrong when I went back. :shock:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:27 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 pm SHSHU scoring 28 unaswered 3rd to early 4th was an epic collapse by JMU.
I turned the channel for what seemed to be five minutes and thought I was seeing the score wrong when I went back. :shock:
With 6+ min left 2nd qtr was tied 3-3 defensive struggle. Then in less than 26 min, until 10+ min left 4th qtr, JMU reeled off 21 straight, then 35-3 by SHSU, then a TD + 2 pt conversion by JMU. That’s 67 points (9 TDs, 1 FG), in about 43% of the game. The last 10+ min was no scores.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't think Sam Houston was capable of sustaining drive without help. JMU was up 24-3 when Sam Houston State put together its only long "drive" of the game. But that drive was helped by two major penalties. A horse collar and a roughing the passer. So they had an 80 yard drive but 30 of them were by penalty.

Then there was the big play by the wide receiver. Then the punt return.

Then there were two really weird turnovers that Sam Houston did not force at all. Both were gifts.

JMU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Sam Houston State, again, was not capable of driving the football. They couldn't run the ball. Their quarterback was under 50% passing (13 of 27). Yet they ended up with 38 points. JMU just found a way to lose a game they should've won by double digits.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 pm I don't think Sam Houston was capable of sustaining drive without help. JMU was up 24-3 when Sam Houston State put together its only long "drive" of the game. But that drive was helped by two major penalties. A horse collar and a roughing the passer. So they had an 80 yard drive but 30 of them were by penalty.

Then there were two really weird turnovers that Sam Houston did not force at all. Both were gifts.

JMU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Sam Houston State, again, was not capable of driving the football. They couldn't run the ball. Their quarterback was under 50% passing (13 of 27). Yet they ended up with 38 points. JMU just found a way to lose a game they should've won by double digits.
You just can't give Sammy credit can you?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:54 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 pm I don't think Sam Houston was capable of sustaining drive without help. JMU was up 24-3 when Sam Houston State put together its only long "drive" of the game. But that drive was helped by two major penalties. A horse collar and a roughing the passer. So they had an 80 yard drive but 30 of them were by penalty.

I give them credit for continuing to play hard and not giving up. But they were extremely lucky. JMU had to help them in order for them to win.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:54 pm
I give them credit for continuing to play hard and not giving up. But they were extremely lucky. JMU had to help them in order for them to win.
That's a two-way street ... if JMU helped them then they helped JMU at the end of the first half.