HBCU Coaching Move

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

HBCU Coaching Move

Post by SuperHornet »

Southern HC Dawson Odums has left to accept the same position at Norfolk State. That's a bit confusing to me, as I would have considered Southern and Grambling to be the premier stops in HBCU Land in terms of public perception. Could this move (along with the presence of The Neon One at Jackson State) shift public perception in this regard for HBCUs?

Also, this move isn't without controversy, as the team was solidly behind Assistant Head Coach B.T. Sherman, and many have been threatening to enter the transfer portal if that didn't happen.

https://news.yahoo.com/norfolk-state-fo ... 00146.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: HBCU Coaching Move

Post by JohnStOnge »

He must have been unhappy at Southern. He applied for the McNeese State job after Lance Guidry got let go after the 2018 season. I was surprised at the time because he would almost certainly have had to take a pay cut to go from Southern to McNeese.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: HBCU Coaching Move

Post by UNI88 »

Coveting, cooperation among reasons coach Dawson Odums left Southern for Norfolk State
It's important to be at a place where they were willing to work with you, and they're willing to want you and welcome you into their family. Norfolk state happened at the right time."
A 33% pay bump from $180K to $240K might have helped as well.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm