Hail and Farewell

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Hail and Farewell

Post by SuperHornet »

This might well have been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it quickly. Well, certain leagues are saying goodbye to some schools, but they're still going to be in FCS.

Just found out that the Atlantic Sun Conference is breaking their associate membership agreement with the Big South (whereby A-Sun members playing football could house their programs in the Big South, though some chose other FCS leagues) in order to formally launch their own FCS league in 2022. Schools affected are Kennesaw State and North Alabama (Big South), Central Arkansas (Southland), E. Kentucky and Jacksonville State (OVC), and Stetson (Pioneer). There IS a bit of a complication here, though: E. Kentucky and Jacksonville State will apparently house their football teams in the WAC for the 2021 season before moving permanently to the A-Sun in 2022.

Coming in: In an unusual move, St. Thomas is moving directly from D-III after getting the boot from the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference for being too good. They will join the Pioneer League this fall for football (the bulk of the Tommies' sports program is headed to The Summit, along with Presbyterian, which is bolting the Big South (they were housed in the Pioneer for spring football).

Looking further into the future, current I-AAA program UT-Rio Grande Valley (a school with six campuses, and inheriting its sports program from UT-Pan American) will add football and play in the FCS in 2024, likely in the WAC (the bulk of their sports are already there).

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.